This Instant Pot stuffed cabbage casserole is so tasty! Simple pressure cooker cabbage recipe to make for dinner. Unstuffed cabbage is so much easier to make than the traditional method. The ultimate 15 minute comfort food, we love this recipe!
Ok so I set out to make pressure cooker stuffed cabbage soup but it came out looking more like a casserole and even better than I thought it would be!! This Instant Pot stuffed cabbage casserole as we called it was full of flavor, the cabbage maintained a perfect not too soft and not underdone consistency, and overall was a healthy meal for all 5 of us. Definitely one of our favorite Instant Pot recipes now! (originally published 1/18, affiliate links present)
- Have you ever had Instant Pot unstuffed cabbage??
I hadn’t ever had a stuffed cabbage roll at all until I met my husband. He raved about this dish his grandmother used to make so I gave it a whirl years ago and shared it here on my slow cooker stuffed cabbage post. It was delicious but pretty time consuming and my kids never really ate the cabbage part.
Then I got to experimenting and came up with this!!
Our Instant Pot stuffed cabbage casserole we call this came out SO good!!
I thought about this dish the other night since I hadn’t made it in a while. A sort of deconstructed Instant Pot stuffed cabbage dish was what I wanted. It took only 12 minutes to cook and was great!
I love being able to dump and go with my pressure cooker and have a complete meal in under 30 minutes including the time it takes to pressurize.
- The cabbage cut up into little squares works perfectly when you’re ready to eat and makes it the perfect consistency once it is done.
I don’t like it too wilted and soft or super crunchy either. This timing made it turn out perfectly. Even the kids said it was a winner of a dinner. 😉
My mother in law was over and raved about it too. You could use ground turkey if you rather, and topped with grated parmesan cheese at the end is a must!
If you have the burn notification display here is how to deglaze your Instant Pot which you may not have done properly, and will help avoid that.
This is what you’ll need to make this easy Instant Pot stuffed cabbage casserole
- 1/2 head of cabbage
- cabbage leaves cut into 1″ squares
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce (I just grabbed what was on sale)
- Can of tomato soup
- or tomato sauce if necessary
- 1 lb. ground beef….or ground sausage is amazing – this is how to defrost Instant Pot frozen ground beef in case you forgot to thaw it out the night before. 😉
- Onion and garlic
- White rice – uncooked
- some have used brown rice, cook times would be different if using this
- Beef broth
- could use water
- Spices, salt and pepper
Like I said, it is a really easy dinner to put together and probably something new you haven’t tried before.
- I have also made a slow cooker stuffed cabbage soup that was amazing but of course took all day to cook
- Then I made this pressure cooker cabbage soup we loved.
- It’s now included in our list of Instant Pot soup recipes
Here’s a video showing you how I make this Instant Pot stuffed cabbage casserole
If you’re looking for more easy Instant Pot sausage recipes we have more to enjoy!
Here are the printable instructions as well:
* NOTE: Make sure you do a quick release at the end or else the cabbage will become too soft.
- Also, this will thicken quite a bit as it cools and sits in the pot. Initially it will be a bit thinner. Just allow the cooked rice and cabbage to sit after pressure cooking to get thicker. Consistency in the photos is approx. 5-10 after taking lid off.
Instant Pot Stuffed Cabbage Casserole
- 1 lb ground beef or ground sausage
- 3 1/2 c beef broth
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 c rice white, uncooked
- 1 onion diced
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce 20 oz
- 1 can tomato soup 10 oz
- 1 dash hot sauce optional
- 1 tbsp worchestershire sauce
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 c cabbage cut into small chunks 2x2 pcs
- Turn Instant Pot to saute, normal. Add a bit of olive oil, ground beef and diced onion. Cook until beef is not pink and onions soften
- Turn Instant Pot OFF/cancel button and deglaze your pot. Important step so pot does not overheat and can cool off while draining grease and adding other ingredients. If you do not turn it off in between you may have an error/burn code come on as it senses it is overheating.
- Add in all other ingredients except rice and cabbage. Do not stir.
- When all other ingredients are added pour uncooked rice in, do not stir.
- Break up chunks of cabbage and add to top of your mixture, gently push down into the liquid. (make sure pot is not more than 3/4 full or it may not reach pressure)
- Put lid on and close steam valve.
- Push pressure high for 12 minutes (or if you don't have that option push your rice button which will automatically set for 12 minutes).
- Do a quick release.
- Lift lid carefully, stir, and serve! Can top with chives or even parmesan cheese!! It will thicken more as it sits.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉