Air fryer squash and zucchini cooked together is a healthy side dish you’ll love. Air fryer vegetables are tender in under 8 minutes with tons of flavor. Make in your AirWave, Cosori or Ninja Foodi this week.
We love airfryer vegetables! During the summertime this air fryer squash and zucchini recipe is made quite often since we have a vegetable garden. Green and yellow squash are plentiful and make an easy air fryer recipe that goes with just about any dinner. (affiliate links present)
Air Fryer Zucchini and Squash
You don’t have to use both but it is pretty to have a few different colors going on. If one is on sale vs. the other when I have to buy them I will just go with whatever is cheaper. The cook time and temperature would remain the same and you can season it as you wish or use our mixture below.
Like I said, certain times of the year we have more of these than we know what to do with. Because of that we have created a ton of air fryer zucchini recipes to share with y’all. These are naked, meaning there is no breading on the outside, which makes them as healthy as possible.
If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- My Favorite Air Fryer is a Cosori or for a dual machine, the Foodi.
- You can find more easy air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
Ninja Foodi Squash and Zucchini
You can use whatever brand of machine you might have. I personally have a few different ones so I can ensure they all turn out the same. I do like my Cosori as you see above because the basket is quite large and square. If you have the Foodi you could pressure cook or air fry like we share here.
Oh my yes it is. You can get it nicely tender without it getting soggy and mushy laying in a pan and soaking in liquids. Instead the moisture drains to the bottom of the basket and you’ll get the perfect texture for squash and zucchini in air fryer.
Sort of. Squash is an overall larger category of vegetables which zucchini fits under, but the opposite isn’t the case. Summer and winter squash and it’s green counterpart are all gourds.
How to cook zucchini and squash slices
Now you can do the same thing in the oven too though. I mean I do like the texture of the outsides when done like this but if that is occupied you can make roasted zucchini and squash in the oven too.
How do you cut squash and zucchini
The latter tends to be the same diameter from one end to the other so it isn’t as difficult to get all the pieces the same size. You are going to want them all to be either dials or dials sliced in half like half moons. In order to get the yellow variety to be about the same you’ll need an extra cut.
- Slice both ends off and discard
- Cut down the middle of it lengthwise
- If it is the same thickness from one end to the other then slice widthwise so your pieces are 1″ wide
- For squash that is thicker at the bottom follow the same directions halfway down
- On the bottom thicker half, slice that in half again lengthwise so you’ll have 4 equal size pieces
- Then slice widthwise so your pieces are 1″ wide
Put all your pieces into a bowl and drizzle with olive oil and seasonings. Toss to coat and then cook as you wish, air frying is quick and the texture turns out great.
Yellow Squash and Zucchini Recipe
Remember that the smaller your pieces are the faster they will get tender. Everyone has a personal preference as to the texture they like best. I don’t like it near mushy so I’d rather have it with just a bit of firmness around the edges myself.
You could just cut dials after removing the ends if you wanted, that would take an extra minute or so.
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 large summer squash
- if you want to add meat follow our air fryer chicken and vegetables instructions
- Olive oil – enough to coat all pieces
- Seasonings are up to you, just go with salt and pepper if you like or toss with
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic salt and/or garlic powder
- Lawrys seasoned salt
You literally just throw it all in there and shake the basket once in the middle of the timing. It doesn’t have to be totally in a single layer as it isn’t really going to get crispy like zucchini chips in air fryer.
Zucchini and Squash in Air Fryer
There is a printable recipe card at the bottom of this post to keep handy if you’d like. Timing will vary from 5-8 minutes depending on how soft you want it to become.
- You always want to start by preheating your air fryer to 400 degrees f for 5 minutes. Slice zucchini in half lengthwise and then into half moon pieces about 1/2″ thick (the thinner they are the faster it will cook and softer they will get).
- Slice your squash in half lengthwise, then again so there are 4 long slices. Hold pieces together and slice into 1/2″ pieces so they are relatively the same size as your other green pieces.
- Put zucchini and yellow squash in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil, toss. Sprinkle on seasonings, toss to coat.
- Pour into air fryer basket and cook about 6 minutes or until they are as tender as you’d like, toss basket halfway thru.
If you want to make more of a hearty meal with this same veggie, our air fryer stuffed squash recipe is fantastic. You can fill the inside halved with ground beef or chicken with some cheese melted right on top. A complete meal that is low carb and packed with protein.
How do you store cooked zucchini
I will say that the texture will change, and I will only use my air fryer to reheat it or else it’s kinda ehhhhh. You want to keep it as dry as possible so transfer into a freezer bag without any liquid and suck the air out. Keep in the fridge and reheat within 24 hours for best results.
Reheating leftover squash is easy with this little machine. Just throw them in at 400 f for about 2 minutes and enjoy what is left over so you don’t waste food. You may want another pinch of salt before serving as a quick snack or throw it in while reheating chicken in air fryer and warm together for lunch.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Air Fryer Squash and Zucchini
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees f for 5 minutes. Slice zucchini in half lengthwise and then into half moon pieces about 1/2" thick (the thinner they are the faster it will cook and softer they will get).
- Slice your yellow squash in half lengthwise, then again so there are 4 long slices. Hold pieces together and slice into 1/2" pieces so they are relatively the same size as your zucchini.
- Put everything in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil, toss to coat. Sprinkle on seasonings, toss to coat.
- Pour into your air fryer basket and cook about 6 minutes or until they are as tender as you'd like, toss basket halfway thru.