How to cook squash and zucchini in the oven roasted is here. A great healthy vegetable side dish that gets tender with a bit of crisp too.
Roasted zucchini and squash is probably our favorite new creation. I love it because it is super cheap and flavorful and can be cooked alongside our main meal in the oven. If you’re looking for a new easy side dish this might be the one you’ve been waiting for. (affiliate links present)
How to Cook Zucchini and Squash
We started this when making air fryer zucchini and squash. If you “know me” at all you know that I am obsessed with my hot air machine. Realizing that not everyone loves small countertop appliances I like to share the “old fashioned” methods too. 😉
This is for bite sized fresh produce. We share how to cook frozen vegetables here in case that is all you have on hand. Typically you can find these varieties year round though. We live in a smaller town so I cannot always find vegetables available during the winter time, but these are an always find.
How Long to Bake Zucchini
Ok so both of these are in the squash family. You could use all yellow, or green, or half and half. We added some red onions as well but that would be optional of course. Brings a bit more texture and flavor to the dish so I think it is a nice addition to the sheet pan vegetables.
Seasonings are up to you but I have a few suggestions here below. A light choice would just be a light sprinkle of salt and pepper but I like more than that.
How to Cook Zucchini and Squash in the Oven
- 2 zucchini sliced into dials or half moons
- Yellow squash sliced into dials or half moons
- A red onion diced, optional
- Olive oil will keep the outside nice and moist
- I like to mince some of my roasted air fryer garlic
- Italian seasoning
- 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
- If you wanted a bit of heat add red pepper flakes or some chili powder
If you wanted to add something else it would need to cook at the same rate. A suggestion might be halved portobello mushrooms. Things like roasted brussel sprouts and cauliflower are much firmer so you’d want a separate baking sheet with those but could be cooked at the same time (but for longer).
You could slice in half and microwave brussel sprouts until tender first though if you really wanted to include them.
Sautéed Squash and Zucchini and Onions
Ok so if you wanted to saute this combination in a pan I would suggest using a cast iron pan. It’s okay but will say that roasted in the oven and air fried are by far way better. You won’t get the same great texture as you would in the oven or air fryer. Try them all and see for yourself.
You’ll want to dice and roast it in the oven or air fry it so it has a bit of crisp on the edges. Texture is key with squash and these are the best ways to cook yellow squash or green variety.
Salt and pepper are a given but garlic powder is a nice touch too. Use a light hand so you can still taste the veggie flavors when they are done because they are great when in season.
If you did want to add onions like I suggested I would use red but yellow would be my next choice. I think white doesn’t offer the same flavor profile. For an easier cleanup just put a piece of parchment or non stick aluminum foil on the bottom.
- Preheat your oven to 425 F. Add diced onions, 1/2 inch or so sliced zucchini and yellow squash to a large bowl and mix.
- Top with oil, finely chopped garlic and Italian seasoning and toss to evenly coat well.
- Spread vegetables onto a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Roasting veggies for 10 minutes. Flip vegetables over with a spatula and return to the oven for 10 minutes more, or until they are as tender as you’d like.
Taste and see if you want a bit more seasoning at this time. I don’t like to be heavy handed at first because you can’t take back salt. I also like actually tasting the flavor of the vegetables y’all. Know what I mean?
How to Cook Squash and Zucchini in Air Fryer
This is just as good if you do have a hot air machine at home. If not I wanted to offer this other method, our #2 go to. I have a link to zucchini and squash air fried above but it is quite simple. Really just like our air fryer vegetables which is the same except with mushrooms too!
Best way to cook squash
I would highly suggest using fresh as roasting frozen vegetables doesn’t have as great of a texture. There are several other options out there if you want to keep it whole, just slice in half, make breaded into zucchini fries, all the things.
- You can cook spaghetti squash fast this way
- Microwave acorn squash to tender sometime, seriously
- This is by far the best moist zucchini bread you’ll ever make
- Baked zucchini lasagna uses summer squash instead of noodles for a low carb dish
There are a ton of different varieties to make roasted zucchini and squash. It’s a great summer side dish no matter which way you do it. Roasted vegetables are just the best. Inexpensive, healthy, gluten free, quick and easy to prepare. Not only is the flesh wonderful but roasted spaghetti squash seeds are a healthy snack that we love!!
Roasted Squash and Zucchini
Jump to recipe card below. It is printable so you can keep it on hand or just come back time and time again. There is nutritional information listed with calories and saturated fat too. Of course those will vary a bit depending on how large yours are, oil values, etc.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Roasted Zucchini and Squash
- Preheat oven to 425. Add diced onions, 1/2" sliced zucchini and squash to a bowl and mix. Top with oil, garlic and Italian seasoning and toss to evenly coat well.
- Spread vegetables onto a baking sheet in a single layer. Roast for 10 minutes. Flip vegetables over with a spatula and return to the oven for 10 minutes more, or until they are as tender as you'd like.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.