Homemade pepproni pizza muffins packed with pepperoni, olives, cheese and your favorite toppings are tasty on the go snacks kids love.
I’m sure you’re like me and love this American favorite BUT it’s pretty messy to eat on the go. BUT these pizza muffins are easy to grab and eat in the car or on the way to school. One of the best muffin recipes that are savory and we love ’em. (affiliate links present)
Pizza Muffin Recipe
Now everyone has thrown a frozen pizza in air fryer or inside their oven on busy days. Like I said though, that’s not something you can eat without a mess.
After the holidays I made these savory breakfast muffins with leftover ham and cheese and they were a huge hit. I went on from there with one of our favorite all time foods and once again it was a success.
Let’s talk a bit about my favorite things when it comes to muffins though shall we?
- You really should get a 24 cup muffin pan, or opt for a quicker baking time with mini muffins.
- I ALWAYS use muffin liners and you should too. They make cleanup easier and grab and go breakfasts a thang. 😉
- No pan, no problem! Use these self standing muffin cups instead!
- This is the best way to store leftovers so they don’t get smushed!
If you’re anything like me you’ve made all sorts of fruit filled concoctions. Blueberry muffin tops are pretty common and if you hate to waste your nanners you probably have a favorite banana bread too. Think dinnertime with these though, baking breads doesn’t always have to be sweet.
Pepperoni Pizza Muffins
We all know what pizza ingredients are, now you just need to know how to bake those into hand held fluffy goodnesses.
- All purpose flour
- Softened butter
- Baking powder
- A pinch of sugar
- Salt and pepper
That will make the pizza dough of sorts and then from there the good add ins come in, folded gently so they don’t fall apart.
What are traditional pizza toppings?
- Mozzarella cheese
- Pepperoni slices, quarter them in this case
- Black olives
- Pizza sauce, in this case we are going to half cherry tomatoes
- Mushrooms could be added if you wanted, I’d quarter those babies too
Use your favorite pizza toppings beyond these but this is our go to. As for the seasonings I mean you should use what you love but we just gave you the basics below in the recipe card. Italian seasonings would be a great add in as well. Love minced garlic, add that too my friend.
Like I said, and always reiterate with any easy muffin recipe, you should always blend the dough and fold in extras at the end.
Homemade Pepperoni Pizza Muffins
We used regular size muffin cups but mini muffins would work too, just decrease the time to closer to 12-15 minutes. Those are a fun after school snack for sure.
- Preheat your oven to 350° degrees F. In a medium size bowl combine your flour, herbs, and sugar. Dice tomatoes. Blend egg, melted butter, and water into dry ingredients.
- Gently stir in halved tomatoes, chopped fresh basil, shredded cheese, pepperoni, and sliced black olives (if using). Spray holes with non stick cooking spray or use muffin cups. Fill 3/4 of the way full with batter. Top with shredded parmesan cheese.
Bake 20-23 minutes or until toothpick or cake tester comes out clean and tops are lightly golden brown. Allow to cool slightly before removing from pan. Serve warm with a cup full of spaghetti sauce for dipping.
Muffin Tin Pizza Muffins
I have not experimented with wheat flour with these. That would take longer to bake and isn’t my favorite to use because the flavor would overpower the topping ingredients I feel. If you do figure out the bake time please share below so others can enjoy that option as well.
You can print recipe at the bottom of this post or come back time and again to jump to recipe. Nutritional information is available too with calories, saturated fat, etc.
If you have leftovers you should allow them to cool completely first. Have a container available that has a lid and keeps as much air out as humanly possible. That will ensure they stay moist and fluffy for a few days. Ideally I would enjoy them within 2 days.
Pepperoni Pizza Muffins Homemade
If you think it will take longer than that to get thru them then you should slide them into a freezer bag. Suck all the air out and then lay them flat in a drawer in your freezer. Mark the date and they’ll last a few months this way. Take one out at a time and microwave for 45 seconds to enjoy them another day again.
- Can’t get enough of these ingredients? Try our smoked pizza roll ups next. And then…..
Muffin tin pizzas are always fun to make too, especially with kiddos. There are so many ways to tweak the traditional way to bake a pie as they say. Give a few of our favorites a whirl and see if you find a new favorite way to enjoy this Italian favorite dinner idea.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a medium size bowl combine flour, spices, and sugar. Dice tomatoes. Blend tomatoes, egg, melted butter, and water into dry ingredients.
- Stir in chopped fresh basil, shredded cheese, pepperoni, and sliced black olives (if using). Fill muffin tins with batter. Top with shredded parmesan cheese.
- Bake 20-23 minutes or until toothpick or cake tester comes out clean when inserted into the top of the muffin. Allow to cool slightly before removing from pan. Serve warm!