Want to know how to make a frozen or homemade air fryer hot pocket with biscuits? We’ve made them with chicken, beef wellington and pizza pockets are fantastic.
I’m sure you’ve bought these frozen and made them in the microwave before, but wait!! You’ve gotta’ try this homemade air fryer hot pocket recipe. Even the ready made ones turn out better in this machine. Just one of many easy air fryer recipes on The Typical Mom blog. (affiliate links present)
Hot Pocket Cook Time
This is how long to cook a hot pocket all different ways. This gets it the crispiest though and can easily be made homemade. Once you get the hang of how we made these you can add all sorts of things, and let your kids participate too. We decided to make air fryer pizza hot pockets this time with just pepperoni.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
And be automatically signed up for our free newsletter too!
You could add olives, sliced mushrooms, even bites of pineapple and Canadian bacon too if you wanted though. The possibilities for frozen bread dough recipes are endless I tell you.
If you love easy air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- My Favorite Air Fryer is a Cosori or for a dual machine, the Foodi.
- You can find more easy air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
Air Fryer Hot Pocket
To speed things up I used frozen dough for the crust! You just take them out and set them on the counter for about an hour to soften them up, then you’re ready to stuff away!
You can use 4 to make them about the same size as the frozen versions, or use 2 for a smaller size for little hands. These are great for so many things other than just baking them into rolls.
We have made cheesy smoked bread with them, air fryer garlic bread and you could use them to make Rhodes monkey bread too. Instead of keeping their shape we are going to roll them out flat to make our “pocket”.
Hot Pockets in the Air Fryer
Like I said, we went kinda’ simple as far as the filling went. I had pizza sauce in the fridge, but if I hadn’t I’d just use a few Tbsp. of spaghetti sauce out of the jar. We always go as simple as possible in this house…..
Use already shredded mozzarella cheese and since I was making these for my girls I only added pepperoni slices. If it for me I’d include olives too.
Neither!! Here I’m going to convince you how much better they are made in your Cosori air fryer (or other brand you may own). Follow our homemade recipe or air fryer frozen hot pocket instructions.
Once you have all the ingredients you want and the dough is rolled out flat you’re ready to prepare it (or them).
How to Make Homemade Hot Pockets
If you have movie nights like we do these can be a fun addition one night. Set up a pizza bar and let everyone prepare their own. Write their name on a piece of sprayed parchment paper so you can keep track of which one belongs to whom.
How long do I cook a hot pocket in the air fryer?
If it is homemade, it takes about 7 minutes. Remember there is nothing raw inside in this case so you’re just cooking the dough and melting the cheese. Frozen takes closer to 12 minutes since it has to defrost first.
You’ll want to add all the filling into the center leaving the outside edges free from ingredients as you see here.
Homemade Hot Pockets
I made several of these to ensure the instructions were very clear. One thing that I found is that the ends need to be left flat and NOT folded over. You can see below what I mean by this.
If you fold them over on to the top that area will be too thick and not always cook through leaving it sticky inside. This way it remains the same thickness all the way across and cooks to perfection every time.
Homemade Air Fryer Hot Pocket with Biscuits
About 7 minutes was perfect, 8 if you wanted the outside a bit browner. At the end I brushed some melted butter on the outside to add even more flavor and give it a bit of moisture. Here’s a quick step by step, full instructions are below;
- Defrost frozen rolls or dough and squish 4 together into a ball. Put in between parchment paper and roll flat. Preheat air fryer to 350 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- In the middle of your dough add 1/2 c cheese per hot pocket + about 5 pepperoni and 1/4 c. pizza sauce each.
- Fold sides over and seal. Press ends of raw dough down to seal. Do not leave excess on and fold over as it will be too thick and won’t cook all the way through on the ends.
- Spray inside of air fryer basket and place hot pocket in with seams facing up. Whisk an egg and brush on the top to give the soon to be crispy crust a bit of moisture and shine.
- Air fry at 350 F for total of 7 minutes cooking time, flipping over after 4 minutes. When flipped brush with egg wash again.
Remove when dark golden brown. Brushing melted butter on the top when done is a great added touch too before serving.
Ninja Foodi Hot Pockets
Want other ideas for the filling?? I mean the list is endless but if you have leftover ham after the holidays, ham and cheese inside would be delicious. All of them would use the same temperature and timing unless the meat is raw.
In this case make sure you dice it small so it cooks through. Do not increase the temp to 400 degrees as the outside will get done before the inside will. Frozen foods also need a bit lower temp. to defrost and then cook.
Jump to recipe for frozen version below. Nutritional information is for the homemade version shared here. For boxed refer to the back for calories, fat, etc…..
Air Fryer Frozen Hot Pockets
I talk all about how long do you cook a Hot Pocket this way, in the oven, or microwave if it is packaged. BUT this is the best and there are so many options if you make them with dough.
Can you put a hot pocket in the air fryer?
Right out of the box, yes you can! If you don’t want to make them homemade you can cook the frozen versions in this “magic machine” too. All you do is;
- Remove from plastic wrapper and discard crisper sleeves
- Put into basket upside down and push the drawer in
- Set to 370 degrees F for a total of 12 minutes
- Flip over after 6 minutes
- Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes, slice in half and enjoy
Want to use this same method but with different fillings? Try an air fryer chicken cordon bleu inside next.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Air Fryer Hot Pocket
- 8 frozen rolls used Rhodes, defrosted for 1.5 hours, rolled flat
- 1 c mozzarella cheese
- 10 pepperoni
- 1/2 c spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce
- Defrost frozen rolls and squish 4 together into a ball. Put in between parchment paper and roll flat. Preheat air fryer to 350 F for 5 minutes.
- In the middle add 1/2 c cheese per hot pocket + 5 pepperoni and 1/4 c. sauce each.
- Fold sides over and seal. Cut off excess ends of raw dough but leave enough to seal flat on the sides. Do not leave excess on and fold over as it will be too thick and won't cook all the way through on the ends.
- Spray inside of air fryer basket and place hot pocket in with seams facing up. Can whisk an egg and brush on the top to give it a bit of moisture and shine.
- Air fry at 350 F for total of 7 minutes, flipping over after 4 minutes. When flipped brush with egg wash again.
- Remove when dark golden brown. Brushing melted butter on the top when done is a great added touch too before serving.