Air fryer fried green tomatoes are easier to make crispy delicious than you might think! How you can make your favorite low carb, keto crunchy vegetable side dish tonight.
Have you tried making air fryer fried green tomatoes yet? Are they one of your favorite foods but haven’t attempted them homemade yourself? We’ll show you how to make this easy air fryer recipe right here.
If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- You can find more Air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
- Grab the best air fryer cookbook here.
- Here’s a printable air fryer cook times chart here for your fridge.
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
- Then join our Facebook group where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love.
There are two types; those that are green when fully ripe (generally heirloom varieties), and yes, unripe tomatoes are green as well. We are referring to the first variety.
You may be able to find some at Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, or the best places would be at your local farmers market! It is always best to use locally grown, in season vegetables and fruits when cooking or baking.
This way you will ensure a fresh flavorful bite each and every time.
In the Northern states, people tend to eat green tomatoes in late summer or fall, just before the peak of harvest. In the South, tomatoes can be red and juicy as early as May and June.
Fresh green tomatoes are enjoyed all season long there, lucky them. Actually, in these areas they’re so popular that local supermarkets actually import them during the off-season.
Once you found what you’re looking for you’ll want to create a sort of breading assembly line of sorts. We used pork rinds so they’d be low carb but you could opt for breadcrumbs if you’d rather.
Time needed: 8 minutes.
Fried Green Tomatoes in Air Fryer
Preheat air fryer to 350 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Prepare ingredients
In 3 shallow dishes you’ll need to mix flour, salt, pepper and paprika in one. In another whisk together your egg and heavy whipping cream (or eggs and buttermilk) together. The final shallow bowl will have crushed pork rinds.
- Coat tomatoes
One at a time dip the tomatoes into the flour mixture, then into the egg mixture, and finally coat with rinds.
Place coated green tomatoes into air fryer basket in a single layer, not overlapping. Cook for 4 minutes, then flip for 4 more. For extra crisp, spray with olive oil on last round until golden brown.
Lay inside paper towels to keep warm until they’re all done.
If you have the slices ready to can create an assembly line of sorts and prepare them rather quickly. If you have a large air fryer you can fill it with quite a few pieces.
I don’t think it is entirely necessary to use olive oil spray but if you like it really crispy on the outside you could. Flipping halfway is important to get it crunchy all the way around but tender inside.
- We have done something similar with other air fryer vegetables and they turn out really great.
- Air fried okra is fantastic as well as a side dish of eggplant in an air fryer.
- My girls’ favorite treat is a handful of air fryer zucchini chips for sure though.
What is the best part really is the coating on the outside. If you use pork rinds like we did it will be keto friendly. Instead you could opt for Italian seasoned breadcrumbs too. Panko mixture works for some too if you like.
Air fried green tomatoes
- Green tomatoes
- Pork rinds
- Heavy whipping cream
- Salt and pepper
I suppose you could follow the same directions with sliced firm red tomatoes but I dunno, I haven’t tried that. Air fryer cooking is the bomb y’all.
Fried Green Tomato Recipe
- You can also pickle them if you have more left over! Since they are firm, green tomatoes hold up well in a brine.
- Use these instructions to pickle vegetables and let us know what you think!
- Toss them into spaghetti sauce and/or a dutch oven stew.
- Some like to just snack on them with just some salt and pepper!
You can print our air fryer green tomato recipe below if you want, or just come back because we love “seeing” you.
- Try our tomato bisque soup recipe next too!
Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes
- Mix flour, salt, pepper and paprika in a shallow dish.
- Whisk egg and heavy whipping cream in another shallow dish. Slice tomatoes 1/4"-1/2" thick, the thinner the softer they will become.
- In a third dish lay crushed pork rinds. Preheat air fryer for 5 minutes to 350 degrees.
- Dip each tomato slice into the flour mixture to coat, allow excess to fall off. Then dip both sides in egg mixture, then into pork rinds. Softly press on both sides so it sticks nicely and allow excess to fall off.
- Put into air fryer basket without overlapping any of the pieces.
- Cook for 4 minutes on each side, then check to see if you want them crispier. If so add 1 minute at a time until they're done to your liking.