Ribs in Air Fryer recipe that makes your beef or pork ribs come out tender and full of flavor. Smother with barbecue sauce and dinner is done in no time.
Have you made ribs in air fryer machine yet? If you’re in a pinch and don’t have all day to smoke or bake them, this is a great alternative for sure! One of our newest air fryer recipes here on The Typical Mom blog.
- We love to air fry everything I tell you!
- I have 2 traditional air fryers as well as making lots of Ninja Foodi recipes too.
Any model will do if you follow these easy directions below.
If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- My Favorite Air Fryer is a Cosori or for a dual machine, the Foodi.
- You can find more easy air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
Now let’s talk about the #1 tip you MUST follow if you’re making a tender ribs recipe.
You must remove the membrane. That is the thin skin like layer on the bottom side of your rack. If you don’t, they won’t be nearly as perfect as if you did.
Removing membrane from ribs is quite simple. If you have never done it, just click on the link and follow our step by step directions.
You will definitely taste the difference whether you make air fryer ribs or cook them any other way.
- This is a Game Changer y’all!
Is pork or beef ribs better?
Well I guess that would depend on whom you’re asking. In my opinion there is NO question, pork!! If you want the tenderest ribs ever this is the rack of ribs you want to choose.
Pork is a leaner option too. What kind of ribs have the most meat? You can choose baby back ribs or spare ribs, the latter has more meat. Our country style pork ribs Instant Pot recipe is another amazing way to make these babies.
We have made these ribs in air fryer another way as well. You can try our Ninja Foodi ribs too if you have that machine. Those are pressure cooked and then air fried and come out fall off the bone tender.
The meat in is version won’t be as tender as those because you’re skipping the pressure cooker all together. BUT if you don’t have that option then I’d give these a whirl and see what you think.
- For a quick ribs recipe I’d say it’s a definite winner for dinner!
Is it better to boil ribs before cooking?
- Some people do like to parboil spare ribs for a little bit in order to tenderize the meat. If you choose to do this, make sure to simmer them rather than cook them at a full boil for a long time.
- Boiling too long and for too high of heat may result in tough meat.
How to cook boneless ribs in an air fryer
I’d follow the same directions. The timing should still work great and without the bones they should soften up even better.
Air fryer Ribs
- Rack of ribs
- Salt and pepper
- or use our steak dry rub recipe here
- Bottle of barbecue sauce or:
- brown sugar
- garlic powder
- onion powder
How do you prepare ribs?
First make sure you remove the membrane like I talked about above. Then you’ll want to season the ribs on the outside with at least salt and pepper. Massage it in generously. Then brush on your favorite bbq sauce.
Preheating your air fryer is important too so it cooks evenly right from the start.
Cooking ribs in an air fryer
- Remove membrane from underside.
- cut into pieces so it will fit into the basket
- Season top and bottom with salt and pepper.
- Brush on bbq sauce on both sides.
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Place inside with meat side facing down in air fryer basket.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- make sure internal temp. is at least 145 degrees before consuming
- Remove, lather ribs with bbq sauce again hitting all sides of the ribs.
- Easy and delicious right??!!
Other ways to cook ribs are:
First off, this is the best way to smoke ribs ever. If you want over the top flavor massaged into the meat that is out of this world, try this.
- Easy Crockpot ribs are great
- Want to make barbecue ribs on the grill?
- Then try our Instant Pot ribs with teriyaki sauce
- we have one for Crockpot Express ribs too if you have that machine.
We even have a recipe for pressure cooker short ribs, fresh or frozen if you want to try those too!
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Ribs in Air Fryer
- Remove membrane from ribs. This will make them much more tender, link to instructions above in post.
- Cut rack in half (so it will fit). Rub salt and pepper on both sides
- In a bowl mix together last 5 ingredients on list to make homemade bbq sauce, or us jarred.
- Preheat air fryer at 400 degrees for 5 minutes, then spray basket with non stick spray.
- Brush meat side of ribs with bbq sauce, then put into air fryer basket with bone side facing up.
- Brush bbq sauce on top and close basket.
- Cook for 20 minutes at 400 degrees, flipping over after 12 minutes. Remove when outsides are as crispy brown as you'd like them and meat is cooked.
- Remove, brush on more bbq sauce and check internal temp to ensure it is cooked through. Serve