Pressure cooker roast beef is tender and full of flavor without ever having to turn on your oven! Sliced or shredded beef Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi style.
Do you love roast beef but wish you could make it quicker?? Now you can with this pressure cooker roast beef recipe using your Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi machines. Now added to our list of 101+ Instant Pot recipes for you to try. A great recipe for the holidays or dinner year round. I’m telling you, this turns out great. (affiliate links present)
You can also make it as a Ninja Foodi recipe or any other brand of pressure cooker you might have.
- Do you use your pressure cooker on a daily basis like I do?? I literally don’t even remember the last time I used my oven to make dinner.
How to cook beef chuck roast in an electric pressure cooker is now here for you to try:
There’s nothing like pressure cooking beef. It comes out fall apart tender.
- Here are the first steps……and they’re pretty darn easy I tell you.
- Once you have your piece of roast beef you’re going to brown both sides using the saute function with a bit of olive oil in your pot.
- Then you’ll add your spices and wine…yes you heard me right….red wine!
- Close your lid and steam valve and let it cook all by itself….go find something fun to do for a little over an hour. 😉
- You’ll allow it to naturally release steam for 15 minutes – 20 after that
- Add your potatoes and carrots (or other veggies) after that
- Let them soften for a little while
- Take everything out and enjoy!
You can make some pressure cooker gravy using the juices left in your pot if you want too….super easy to do and a great add.
Why cook roast beef in a pressure cooker and not in the oven or crockpot?
- It cooks way faster…..that’s the point right?
- Roast beef in an Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi comes out extremely tender
- You’re able to cook everything all in the same pot which cuts down on dishes (yeah) and the vegetables/potatoes get to soak up all that goodness while they’re cooking.
- You can just throw it all in and walk away instead of tending to it in the oven making sure it’s basted etc…along the way.
- Because I’m just obsessed with my pretty Instant Pot and new Ninja Foodi pressure cooker and air fryer machines.
Yes I do have a Crockpot Express 8 qt. pressure cooker as well to make this pressure cooker roast beef so I will include those instructions below too, but they’re typically the same as the Instant Pot.
What is roast beef?
- Roast beef is a piece of beef which is usually roasted in an oven BUT can now be made in a pressure cooker. Usually prepared as a main meal, roast beef leftovers are often used in sandwiches and sometimes are used to make a style of hash.
Is roast beef healthy?
- Although it is high in fat, roast beef is very high in protein as well.
- Roast beef is quite high in potassium.
- There are 0 carbs and 0 grams of sugar in roast beef itself.
What cut of meat is roast beef?
- Roast beef is made out of beef chuck roast.
- If you want to make this but don’t see it in the meat section of your grocery store, ask the butcher and it might be labeled a bit differently or they may have some behind the meat counter itself.
What you’ll need to make this pressure cooker roast beef recipe
- Beef chuck roast piece – 3 lbs is what was used here
- Beef broth
- Red wine – could use another liquid if you’d prefer
- Worcestershire sauce
Other ways of how to cook beef chuck roast
Directions for Ninja Foodi roast beef
- Directions are the same as below except the following buttons are used
- Step 4 – use pressure cooker lid (one that isn’t attached), close steam valve. Then press pressure button, leave on high for temperature (automatically sets to this), adjust time to 100 minutes.
Directions for Crockpot Express and Instant Pot roast beef are below
Pressure Cooker Roast Beef
- 3-4 lb beef chuck roast
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 c beef broth
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 c red wine
- 1.5 lbs potatoes baby, red
- 3 carrots cut into large chunks
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 pkg. mushrooms whole
- Turn pressure cooker to saute mode and add olive oil. Add roast when hot.
- Brown each side, turn pot OFF, remove meat from pot and deglaze the pot (add 1/2 c. of your beef broth and scrape the bottom well to remove all stuck on meat).
- Return meat to pot, add onions, seasonings and rest of broth.
- Close lid and steam valve. Set to high pressure for 60 minutes. (timing is average but varies slightly depending on size and thickness of meat piece you have)
- Do a natural release for 20 minutes, then let out rest of steam.
- Add potatoes, carrots and mushrooms. Put lid back on and close steam valve.
- Set to high pressure for 6 minutes, quick release when done.
- Remove vegetables and meat. If you want to make gravy leave liquid in pot, set to saute and whisk together in a small bowl 2 tbsp. cornstarch with 3 tbsp cold water until smooth and add in. Stir until it thickens, turn pot off.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉