Air fryer roast beef with a dry rub comes out tender and delicious on the inside with a bit of crisp on the outside. Perfect for sandwiches.
Have you tried making air fryer roast beef yet? Maybe you didn’t think it was possible but it really does turn out so good! Using our sweet and savory dry rub too the flavors are out of this world and the texture is perfect. Just one of our easy air fryer recipes everyone loves. (affiliate links present, originally published 6/21)
Beef Roast in Air Fryer
You may have tried our Instant Pot roast beef but this has an added layer of YUM on the outside. This is a great protein to cook if you can find it on sale for sure. Keep a look out for specials and when you happen upon them remember this recipe.
Once you fall in love with it like we have you’ll scout out the meat section every time you go to the grocery store. Then you can make lots of other air fryer beef recipes.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- My Favorite Air Fryer is a Cosori or for a dual machine, the Foodi.
- You can find more easy air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
- This is the best air fryer cookbook. It’s important to know and remember how to preheat air fryer for best results.
- Here’s a printable free air fryer cooking time chart here for your fridge.
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
- Then join our Facebook page below where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love.
Air Fryer Roast Beef with Herb Crust
It depends. In a pressure cooker it is close to 60 minutes, or 25 minutes per pound for medium inside.
This way if you air fry it and use a 3 lb. piece it will be done closer to 30 minutes total!
What is a good cut of meat for roast beef?
A top loin is the best but on the pricier side. If you want something cheaper you can opt for a chuck roast or the bottom, top or eye round. If you don’t see what you want you should always ask your butcher. Many times they have more cuts in the back that just hasn’t been packaged up yet that you can purchase.
How do you make roast beef tender?
First off, do not overcook it. Remember that when it’s done and resting the temp. will continue to increase about 10 degrees so keep that in mind when taking the internal meat temperature.
Secondly, allow it to rest for at least 15 minutes, covered, before slicing and serving. If not you’ll release the juices and dry it out.
Roast Beef in Air Fryer
When it comes to how you season this it is up to you. If you want bold flavors that will create a bit of a crispy layer I would highly suggest that you use our tri tip rub or steak dry rub which is linked in the recipe card below. Of course you can just opt for salt and pepper too if you’d rather.
- Beef roast about 3 pounds works best so it will fit well in your air fryer basket.
- if using chuck, you can follow our air fryer chuck roast recipe
- Bottled roast beef dry rub or make your own with
- brown sugar
- chili powder
- garlic powder
Air Fryer Roast Beef with Dry Rub
You can see our steak seasoning mixture here. It is really good if you rub all over, then go for a second layer so it’s nice and thick. Then pick it up and allow excess to fall off before placing it inside a sprayed basket to cook.
AirFryer Roast Beef
Never use foil or parchment paper on the bottom to prevent it from sticking as it won’t allow it to cook correctly all the way around. You need the hot air to circulate properly so even the bottom gets browned. It is not necessary to flip this over halfway through, it will be fine as is.
What temperature should beef roast be in the middle?
That depends on how well done, or not, you want it in the center. No matter what temp it is though just remember the ends will be much more done than the center.
This actually works out great for us because I like my pieces really DEAD while my husband wants his still MOOOoooing. I am sure you know what I mean. 😉
The FDA does recommend that it reaches 145 degrees F in the thickest part. Remember that it will increase 5-10 degrees while resting though so 140 when removed would be the minimum you should remember.
What is the temperature for medium rare beef?
I have a guide for you below. Remember to always allow it to rest, covered, for a good 10 minutes once it is done.
- 130-135 degrees F = medium rare
- 140-145 F = medium cook
- 150-155 Fahrenheit = medium well
- 155+ would get you a well done piece
Like I said, take out about 5 degrees before where you want it to be when serving and remember to put the thermometer in the thickest part. The outside 2″ or so will be much more done than the center will be.
Air Fryer Roast Beef Recipe
Of course nobody is going to have the exact same shape and size of meat but with a 3 lb. roast 30 minutes is great for medium, 35 for closer to well done.
- Preheat air fryer to 300 degrees F for 5 minutes. Pat beef roast with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Mix together dry rub ingredients together, or use bottled, and rub on all sides of beef.
- Then go back and add a second layer. Lift meat up and allow excess seasonings to fall off. Spray inside of basket with non stick spray.
- Place coated meat inside basket that has been sprayed with non stick or olive oil spray. Cook for 35 minutes for 3 lbs. to achieve a well done consistency. If medium is desired, only cook for about 30 minutes.
- Check temp in thickest part to see if it is done enough for you keeping in mind it will increase 5-10 degrees while resting.
Remove from basket and allow to rest, covered, for 15 minutes before slicing. Then serve as is with side dishes or as roast beef sliders on rolls.
What is French dip sauce made of?
Most people will serve this with an au jus sauce. It is primarily drippings from the beef when it is cooked with a bit of sour cream, horseradish, salt and pepper in it. Served on hoagie rolls it’s usually served on the side instead of pouring it inside so the bread doesn’t get soggy.
You can jump to recipe below and even print it out if you want as well. But wait….you are going to need a side dish for this cut of beef too right? Give our roasted potatoes a whirl with it, or air fryer corn is always a winner during the summertime.
If you have two machines you can cook your roast while cooking these in another device. OR if you are roasting meat in your Foodi you can make these in less than 20 minutes in your Cosori. We do have a separate recipe for Ninja foodi roast beef as well. With this you can throw baked potatoes in the bottom for a one pot meal.
Need to cook low and slow all day? Try slow cooker roast beef with gravy too. Want to use “the other meat” and make air fryer pork roast? It’s fantastic too with this same dry rub.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Air Fryer Roast Beef
- 3 lb beef roast
- steak dry rub click on link for that recipe, this is what we used, you can use your favorite bottled dry rub if you'd rather
- Preheat air fryer to 300 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Pat roast with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Mix together dry rub ingredients together, or use already bottled, and rub on all sides of beef. Then go back and add a second layer.
- Lift meat up and allow excess seasonings to fall off. Spray inside of basket with non stick spray. Place inside basket and cook for 35 minutes for 3 lbs. to achieve a well done consistency. If medium is desired, only cook for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from basket and allow to rest, covered for 15 minutes before slicing.