How to make hot chocolate from scratch and spiked if you want to as well! Perfect hot drink during the Winter that’s easy to throw together and delicious!
Have you ever wondered how to make hot chocolate from scratch? It’s really quite easy and more rich than those little packets you buy at the store. (originally published 12/17, affiliate links present)
You can customize it by adding a bit of rum if you want a spiked hot chocolate, make snickerdoodle hot chocolate, or leave it as is. Want a little spice to it, add a bit of chili peppers to soak inside if that’s your choosing.
I also have a homemade biscotti recipe that makes a great pair if you’re having a get together or want a mellow evening together watching movies with a treat and this warm Winter drink.
There are a few variations to this homemade hot chocolate recipe, I will leave links to alternative ingredients below. You will need:
- Chocolate – Abuelita or Dark chocolate bar
- Condensed milk
- Brown sugar
- Rum – if you want spiked hot chocolate
Chili arbol peppers can be added if you want a bit of spice. Crushed candy canes can be integrated in too for a twist. Melting peppermint candies can be a fun craft to do while these are baking too.
Best way in my opinion to do this is to have two crockpots going at the same time, one with some spiked hot chocolate and one for the kids!
Heck, if you have three you should make our Crockpot chocolate candy bites with nuts and pretzels too.
Just make it as directed below and then pour it into your slow cooker, this is the one I have and I have two of them for times just like this. It’s perfect for the holidays and especially on Christmas morning when you have people over!
Put it on warm and just let it be available all day long for everyone. You can make a double batch if you have a big house full of guests too.
After you put this together you should give our easy homemade biscotti a try too, they go perfectly together.
Looking for other great Christmas desserts to make??
- Easy peppermint bark recipe needs only a few ingredients
- Egg nog cookie cups are oh so fun at the holidays or Instant Pot bread pudding if you don’t want to turn on the oven.
- Pumpkin fudge and egg nog cake are the bomb
For more fun, make these hot chocolate ball with marshmallow inside too!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
How to Make Hot Chocolate From Scratch
- In a pot over medium high heat, add in 1/3 cup of milk and chocolate. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally to create a chocolate sauce.
- Add in cinnamon, peppers, and milk. Heat to a slight boil, reduce heat to a very low simmer, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in sugar and condensed milk, turn heat to low, allow ingredients to mold together for a minute before serving.