How to make hot chocolate ball with marshmallows inside is here. Step by step easy instructions so you can decorate and enjoy them yourself.
I know you’ve seen this hot chocolate ball with marshmallow inside online and wondered how to make it. It’s not as hard as you might think! Decorate simple or elaborate, either way this quick easy dessert is fabulous. (affiliate links present)
I normally don’t post anything “fancy” but there are exceptions to this rule every now and then. I mean there are snowy days when you really can’t spend much time outside, so this is a fun activity.
There are TONS of ways to decorate these for boys and girls. These and our chocolate surprise eggs are perfect for birthday parties too!
Hot Chocolate Balls
This time used white chocolate but you could just as easily use milk or dark chocolate, or a mix. In the middle just use your imagination, I mean you can add anything edible.
Then when it melts and everything empties out it is a total surprise to everyone!
You can buy them on Etsy for about $4 each but if you make them at home with this recipe they’re a lot cheaper than that!
As long as you keep them in a cool location they’ll easily last up to 6 months without any issues.
Use the 2 1/4″ silicone mold with 6 holes in it. This is the best size to fit into mugs easily.
How to Make Hot Chocolate Bombs
How to hot chocolate bombs work?
This is the idea. It’s a hollow piece of round chocolate filled with cocoa mix and marshmallows inside. You make the chocolate spheres with melted chocolate, harden, and then pour hot milk on top inside a mug.
The outside melts with the warm milk and the mini marshmallows will spill out. This is where the FUN comes in. You can add all sorts of edible items for any holiday.
Hot Chocolate Bomb Mold
You can find them in a variety of sizes. If you want it to fit in just about any microwave safe mug then use this size here. It’s big enough for the powder and marshmallows but not overwhelming.
Then the ingredients we used on the outside and inside of these were:
- White almond bark – you could use milk chocolate if you’d rather
- Hot cocoa mix
- Fillings could be
- mini marshmallows
- chocolate chips
- white cocoa powder with the dark
When they’re done you’ll need a cup of hot milk so you can pour that on top and get it to melt.
How do you Pack Hot Chocolate Bombs?
Once your hollow half circles have hardened you’ll want to very gently pop them out of the mold. Use a warm plate to smooth the edges so once they’re filled they will fit together smoothly.
Hold half of it in your hand and pour in the filling(s), then place the second hollow half on top with the edges melted so it sticks well together.
It doesn’t take too long to adhere to one another. Immediately wipe the edges that may ooze out so it is a smooth ball of fun. Then decorate the outside (if you want).
Hot Cocoa Bombs
If you are looking for birthday drinks these are always a huge hit. These would be great for a unicorn birthday party but it’s a great baby shower drink as well.
Just melt and pipe on some colored chocolate melts for the outside decorations. Stick sprinkles, or any edible bits of candy on the outside and let those sit and dry too. Candy eye balls are super fun for Halloween!
An empty egg carton is handy to have to sit them on while they are hardening.
Brief step by step directions are below, printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. Choose unicorn theme or any other decorations you like!
Time needed: 45 minutes.
Hot Chocolate Ball with Marshmallow Inside
Melt white chocolate by using a double boiler or microwave for 30 seconds stirring in between times. Do this until smooth and melted.
Use a spoon to place a bit of the melted chocolate into each silicone mold hole. Smooth the chocolate up and around the edges. Place in the fridge for about 15 minutes to harden.
Spoon a little more melted chocolate into the mold for another layer. Chill for another 15 minutes.
Carefully remove the chocolate shells from the molds. Microwave a plate for 45 seconds. Take a shell that has been removed from the mold and place on the plate to slightly melt and smooth the edges.
- Add ingredients
Fill half of the shells with hot chocolate mix, sprinkles, pinch of edible glitter and whatever else you want to fill that half.
Take the other empty half and place on to the warm plate to lightly melt the edges. Immediately place the top shell on the filled shell.
Use your finger to smooth the seam. Use now once the middle seam is hardened. Decorate the outsides if you like with colored melted chocolates.
Pipe melted chocolate into freezer bags, cut off corner and drizzle over each bomb. Immediately decorate with candies and sprinkles.
Serve in a mug, pouring hot milk over the bomb and stirring until completely melted. Drink!
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Printable recipe is below with nutritional information. That is calculated using the exact measurements and ingredients we used here.
Hot Chocolate Ball with Marshmallows Inside
- Melt white chocolate by using a double boiler or microwaving in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments stirring in between cook times. Do this until bark is smooth and melted.
- Use a spoon to place a bit of the melted chocolate into each silicone mold hole. Smooth the chocolate up and around the edges. Place in the fridge for 10-15 minutes to set.
- Spoon a little more melted chocolate into the hardened chocolate in the mold. Spread it around for a second coat. Chill for another 10-15 minutes.
- Carefully remove the chocolate shells from the molds. Microwave a small glass plate for 30-45 seconds. Set aside. Take a shell that has been removed from the mold and place on the warm plate on the open end to smooth the edges. Do this for half of the shells.
- Fill half of the shells with 1 tablespoon of hot chocolate mix, assorted sprinkles, pinch of edible glitter etc….
- With the remaining half of the shells take each one and place on to the warm plate to lightly melt the edges. Immediately place the top shell on the filled shell.
- Use your finger to smooth the seam. YOu can use now once the middle seam is hardened or continue to decorate the outsides.
- To decorate outsides: Place your pink candy melts in a small microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals stirring in between until melted.
- Repeat with the teal candy melts. Drizzle the pink and teal chocolate over each bomb and immediately decorate with candies and sprinkles.
- Serve in a mug, pouring hot milk over the bomb and stirring until completely melted. Drink!