Wondering how long does it take to bake a cake in a round, square, bundt or loaf pan? When is a cake done and what is the best way to test it? We will go over that too so it stays moist and tender because nobody wants a dry piece for their birthday.
Baking a cake is something special typically. You may insist on homemade or always use boxed cake mix and wonder if there is a difference in the timing. How do you make it prettier or reheat if you have leftovers? Let’s talk about all things dessert in this post shall we. (affiliate links present)
How Long to Bake a Cake
The baking time for a cake can vary depending on the recipe, the size, your altitude and the type of oven you are using. Generally, most will take between 25 to 55 minutes to bake until fluffy without drying them out. Larger and/or thicker can take longer depending on the ingredients inside.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
And be automatically signed up for our free newsletter too!
Typically the exact baking time for cake, should be listed in the recipe you are using of course. Ultimately at the end you should do a toothpick test, or touch test as I prefer. To ensure that it comes out moist you will want to insert and remove when it comes out MOSTLY clean with moist crumbs attached.
If you don’t have one on hand you can still check with your finger, this is one of my cake mix hacks. When touched gently in the center your baked goods should spring back quickly. If it stays suppressed it needs a bit more time. Give it 1-2 more minutes and gently touch again. Remove immediately when you reach this outcome and cool on a cooling rack.
How Long to Bake a Cake at 350
Remember the general rule that the bigger the pan = the quicker it will be done. 25 to 35 minutes in a 350 degree oven using 1, two or three 8 to 9 inch round cake pans like our purple cake.
For a sheet cake baked at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, the baking time can vary depending on the size and thickness. As a general guideline, a standard 9 x 13 inch pan will take approximately 30 to 35 minutes to bake until tender. 1/2 sheet cake is around the same.
How Long Does it Take to Bake a Cake in a Loaf Pan
One 9×5 loaf pan filled 3/4 of the way full will typically bake up to 45 minutes to 50. You can use two smaller 8×4 inch pans and start checking for doneness at around 35 minutes too. This is handy if you are transforming a normal mix into a sweet bread of sorts.
We do this often to make something like our banana bread with yellow cake mix. I know, totally out of the box thinking (literally and figuratively) you might want to try out.
How Long Does it Take to Bake a Cake at 350 degrees in a Square pan
Bake at 350 degrees F or the equivalent would also be 175 degrees Celcius for 25 to 40 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched in the center. Most times with a boxed mix you can make two of these. If you add a box of Jello pudding mix into the batter you can tweak it to a pudding cake of sorts which adds a ton of moisture.
With all of these pan sizes, it’s important to note that different recipes and oven types can affect the baking time. To determine the exact timing, always refer to the recipe you are using and keep a close eye on the it near the minimum minutes listed / recommended for that size.
How Long to Bake a Cake in a Bundt Pan
We talk all about how to make a bundt cake here. It is not any different other than the shape of the pan and the baking time. It’s a way prettier way to serve the same dessert though too, just because of the shape and pattern itself. There are tons of varieties out there, some holiday themed whole other are just scalloped like this below.
You’re looking at 50 minutes to 1 hour to get the middle to be cooked all the way thru for this size. If you want the same shape and pretty nature, but smaller and individual sizes you can make mini bundt cakes like this that are about half the timing, closer to 20 – 25 minutes.
How to Bake a Cake
Now that we have gone over most of the shapes and sizes let’s talk about the basics shall we. What are some tips to remember when preparing to get started on any of these;
- Always preheat to the proper oven temperature
- Spray the inside of your pan with non stick spray or butter the pan and sprinkle flour inside so it slides out nicely when done.
- Incorporate your ingredients so there is no dry mix remaining.
- Do not fill the pans beyond the 3/4 mark.
- Set baking pans(s) flat on the rack that is in the middle of your oven.
- Check the cake after the minimum bake time listed with a toothpick or touching the top of the cake in the center to see if it springs back.
Always allow it to cool on a cooling rack for 15 minutes or so before slicing. For a bundt allow to completely cool before turning it upside down with a large plate on top. For smaller versions like mini chocolate cupcakes, use a spoon to scoop them out of the pan and on to the rack directly.
How Long Should it Take to Bake a Cake
It is best to use 350 degrees F or 177 degrees C for light fluffy baked goods. Keep in mind that oven temperatures vary slightly that is why there is a range for each size. Added ingredients may increase the timing as well.
- 48 mini muffins or cupcakes = 11-12 minutes
- 24 cupcakes = 17-21 minutes
- Two 9″ round baking pans = 25-33 minutes
- Two 8″ round baking pans = 25-33 minutes
- One 8 inch cake in a 8×3″ pan = 45-50 min.
- Two square baking pans = 25-40 minutes
- Bundt cake pan (12 cup size) = 35-60 minutes
- Mini bundt cake pan = 25 minutes
- 9×13″ pan = 1/4 sheet cake pan = 30 minutes – 33 or so
- Full sheet pan = 35-40 minutes
- 9×5″ loaf pan = 25-38 minutes (depending on ingredients)
- 10×4.5″ = 45 minutes or so like our avocado cake
- Mini loaf pans = 25 minutes
I have a print out for all the sizes and how long to bake a cake to keep on hand here if you would like one.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
How Long Does it Take to Bake a Cake
- 1 cake pan(s)
- 1 box cake mix + ingredients to make batter
- non stick spray
- Mix together ingredients to make batter. Spray inside of pan and pour in batter. Preheat to necessary temperature as directed for recipe or on back of box. Bake for minimum minutes listed below according to the pan(s) you use.
- 48 mini cupcakes = 11-12 minutes / 24 cupcakes = 17-21 minutes / Two 9" round baking pans = 25-33 minutes / Two 8" round baking pans = 25-33 minutes / Two square baking pans = 25-40 minutes / Bundt cake pan (12 cup size) = 35-60 minutes / 9×13" pan = 1/4 sheet cake pan = 30-33 minutes / 9×5" loaf pan = 25-38 minutes
- Use a toothpick inserted into center once top is lightly golden brown, if it comes out wet with batter on it bake for another few minutes and check again.
- Remove when done and cool on cooling rack for at least 15 minutes before slicing.