Easy banana bread with yellow cake mix recipe you’ll love. Yellow cake mix hack to make this 4 ingredient banana bread dessert with just a few ingredients. A quick breakfast sweet bread our whole family enjoys.
Did you know you could make a cake mix banana bread with just oil and eggs? Not only can you but it is incredibly tasty. So simple even my teenagers can bake it after school when they want a treat. If you are like us and love cake mix recipes of all kinds, you need to make this one next! (affiliate links present)
Welcome friends – I’m glad you’re here and I don’t want you to miss a thing! The best way to get more goodies from me for FREE is to just sign up for my free newsletter here! I publish new posts each and every day and that will be sent out twice a week for you to read and try them all!
Yellow Cake Mix Banana Bread Recipe
We have been all about easy boxed cake mix hacks lately. What is easier than using a boxed mix to tweak it into something semi-homemade? Yeah we don’t think there’s anything else either. Y’all there are SO many things you can transition these boxes into. We are using the yellow variety but white or spice mix works for this too.
The star of the show is the fruit though right? I buy a bunch every single week, without fail. Sometimes they disappear the next day, other times none are touched and they turn brown. I HATE to waste food, especially something so wonderfully sweet, so over the years have created a list of overripe banana recipes. This is the newest addition.
Moist Banana Bread with Cake Mix
All you need to make this are a few eggs, oil, boxed or homemade yellow cake mix and your ripe bananas too. Let’s talk about the word ripe and what I mean when they are perfect for this. Don’t wait until they are black and slide out with weird liquid, brown is better. The darker they are the more natural sugars have been created yes, but to a point friends.
If you want to make this and your fruit is about right, but you need another day just throw them in a bowl in the fridge. The cold will slow down the ripening process which will give you a bit more time to bake. As far as mashing I do prefer that there is a bit of chunk left. That will give you super moist areas when you bite into it, just my opinion.
Make our banana bread recipe with yellow cake mix friends!! We will show you how to do just that here. If you only have 3 you can cut this recipe in half which will make 1 loaf pan worth vs. 2 and enjoy away too.
Banana Muffins with Yellow Cake Mix
If you want to make cake mix banana muffins use paper liners. Alter the bake time to about 18 minutes or until the tops bounce back when touched gently in the center. Remove pan, use a spoon to remove muffins from hot pan and put them on a cooling rack so they don’t continue baking and dry out.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl mix cake mix, eggs and oil until you get a thick batter.
- Use a small dish to mash ripened bananas, leave a little chunk for texture (my preference).
- Dump mashed bananas into batter and gently fold together. If you want to add nuts or chocolate chips fold those in too.
- Spray two loaf pans with non stick cooking spray, or it will make 1 loaf pan + about 8 muffins filled 3/4 of the way full.
- You can make all muffins in muffin tins too if you prefer.
- Pour batter into sprayed loaf pan(s) and bake loaves for about 43-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean with moist crumbs attached.
- Remove, allow to cool on cooling rack for about 20 minutes, then flip over and remove from pan. Cool completely and slice.
What can you add to homemade banana bread? Beyond nuts and chocolate chips you can enhance the flavor with a bit of banana flavor extract or vanilla. About 1/4 tsp will work for that add in. Another fun idea is to sprinkle on some muffin crumb topping to the loaf or muffins before baking.
How to store banana bread leftovers
You always want to allow leftovers to cool completely to room temperature first. Keep it whole instead of storing it sliced to stay as moist as possible. Store in an airtight container or I like to wrap in plastic wrap and then slide it into a freezer bag. Keep on the countertop for best results, in the fridge will dry it out faster.
Slice a piece when you’re ready to enjoy as is, or put on a plate with a bit of butter on top. Warm in the microwave for 30 seconds so it melts and absorbs inside to make it tender again. If they were in muffin form remove the wrapper first.
What to Make with Yellow Cake Mix
Ok so after you make your delicious banana quick bread you are going to be blown away and want more ideas. I have a ton but will list those my kids like best and make most often. When you want to include fruit our pineapple upside down cake with yellow cake mix tops the list. Yes that uses canned tidbits but always a hit at get togethers.
You can use this to make cake mix brownies. If using this color they will resemble blondies but can use Devil’s Food for a chocolate version too. Add chocolate chips to yellow cake mix cookies for a quick treat too.
Last but certainly not least we love peaches during the summertime. Using canned with a light syrup you can blend those with your mix and make an easy peach cobbler with cake mix too! Served warm out of the oven with a bit of vanilla ice cream on top makes a great after dinner treat, but breakfast too on cheater days. 😉
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Banana Bread with Yellow Cake Mix
- 2 9×5 loaf pan or 1 loaf and 8 muffins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a bowl mix cake mix, eggs and oil until you get a thick batter. In a small dish mash bananas, leave a little chunk for texture (my preference).
- Dump mashed bananas into batter and gently fold together. If you want to add nuts, extract or chocolate chips fold those in too.
- Spray two loaf pans, or it will make 1 loaf pan + about 8 muffins filled 3/4 of the way full. You can make all muffins too if you prefer.
- Divide batter in half and pour into sprayed loaf pan(s) and bake loaves for about 43-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out mostly clean with moist crumbs attached. Remove, allow to cool on cooling rack for about 15 minutes, then flip over and remove from pan. Cool and slice.
- If using muffin liners instead bake for about 18 minutes or until the tops bounce back when touched gently in the center. Remove pan, use a spoon to remove muffins from hot pan and put them on a cooling rack so they don't continue baking and dry out.