Easy yellow cake mix cookies with chocolate chips or plain are a fun treat you can bake quickly. A 4 ingredient family friendly dessert we love. If you loved our pineapple upside down cake with yellow cake mix this is what you need to bake next!
Cookies with yellow cake mix sound easy right?? Well, you’re right! I mean we are all about easy boxed cake mix recipes and all the different and unique recipes you can make with it. If you have only made it as directed on the back of the box you’re in for a real treat. (affiliate links present)
Welcome friends – I’m glad you’re here and I don’t want you to miss a thing! The best way to get more goodies from me for FREE is to just sign up for my free newsletter here! I publish new posts each and every day and that will be sent out twice a week for you to read and try them all!
Chocolate Chip Cookies with Cake Mix
You can leave them plain without any add ins like our angel food cake mix cookies we do often. Easy, quick and sweet. Like other cookie recipes there are always tweaks you can make to the basics though right? Chocolate chips or crushed nuts are the first thing you would think about, sprinkles work too.
Same thing goes with these. Work with whichever you think you’ll like best and enjoy. Wait….but there is way more. Have you been to the cake mix aisle recently?? I mean let me count the number of different varieties they offer nowadays right? Use different flavors with the same oil and egg batter ingredients and try those too! Just one of our many box cake mix hacks.
Yellow Cake Mix Chocolate Chip Cookies
You can make these into dollops like this or in a pan like our cookie bars with cake mix so you can slice them into squares. Thicker like this takes a bit longer to bake but you do get those ooey gooey middle pieces without any crisp on the edges this way. I like the mini sizes so they spread out better giving you more chocolate in each bite.
If you like a bit of crunch there are several nuts to choose from. Traditionally crushed walnuts would be top of the list but sliced almonds would work or even pecans, like in our bear paw cookies if that is your fave. The base of it is just a 3 ingredient cookie though. The others are optional but will add more flavor.
White and yellow variety of cake mix cookies would be the most basic. I mean still sweet, but not as flavorful as if you were to use Devil’s Food or Red Velvet cookies. For Valentine’s Day those work well or make other pink cookies using a strawberry box.
Betty Crocker Cake Mix Chocolate Chip Cookies
We use this same box to make our banana bread with yellow cake mix, easy peasy quick bread. Whether you buy this brand or Duncan Hines they are all basically the same, unless you choose the one with pudding in it. I love that one but isn’t so easy to find.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, add yellow cake mix, eggs, vegetable oil and vanilla extract.
- if you don’t want to use oil, try our Cake Mix Cool Whip Cookies batter instead.
- Mix everything together, then fold in any mix ins you want such as 1 cup white chocolate chips, 1/2 c. chopped nuts, mini semi sweet chocolate chips etc…
- Spoon the batter onto prepared baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes, or until edges are firmed and middle is no longer wet.
- Timing depends on how large of cookies you make.
- Remove from the oven, transfer to a cooling rack off hot pan and let cool.
Tip: Whether you make lemon cookies from cake mix or with chips in them, it is best to let them sit on the hot pan for no more than 5 minutes. If you let them cool completely on the sheet they will continue baking and dry out getting them crispy instead of remaining chewy. There is a fine line between the two so keep your eye on them nearing the end.
As soon as the edge all the way around is cracking and middle is not yet firm but not sticky and liquid either you want to remove from the oven. In that 5 minutes they will continue to solidify enough to transfer with a spatula.
Cake Mix Chocolate Chip Cookies
Now how do you save these if you do have any leftovers? To keep moist allow them to cool to room temperature first. Then wrap in foil or set inside a freezer bag and suck all the air out. Leave out on the countertop and enjoy within 48 hours for the best results. You can soften them up a bit in the microwave for 30 seconds.
Another quick and easy treat with simple ingredients you have in your pantry (and eggs). After two days they will begin to harden to no return unfortunately. There is something you can do so you don’t waste them though!! Use them as a fun ice cream topping!! Crush them up, sprinkle on top of a cupcake sundae with ice cream and powdered sugar and OMG!!
NO wasting around here when it comes to sweets y’all. There is always something you can do to repurpose leftovers I say.
Cake Mix Sugar Cookies
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Yellow Cake Mix Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, add yellow cake mix, eggs, vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Mix everything together, then fold in any mix ins you want such as 1 cup chocolate chips, 1/2 c. chopped nuts.
- Spoon the batter onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for approximately 10 minutes, or until edges are firmed and middle is no longer wet. Timing depends on how large of cookies you make. Remove from the oven, leave on sheet for 5 minutes and then move to cooling rack.
- Tip: As soon as the edge all the way around are firming up and cracking + middle is not yet firm but not sticky and liquid either you want to remove from the oven. In that 5 minutes cooling on the baking sheet out of the oven they will continue to solidify enough to transfer to cooling rack with a spatula.