This easy mug cake recipe is like coffee cake in a mug! Perfect 1 minute microwave breakfast or dessert for one that’s moist and satisfies your sweet tooth with no egg necessary.
Coffee cake in a mug has been a game changer! It’s an easy mug cake recipe you can enjoy by yourself in the morning before the kids get up, or teach them how to make it for an after school treat. If you love mug recipes we have a lot, this is just the beginning of the YUM.
- We started with this brownie in a mug with a dollop of peanut butter in the middle. OH MY was that good! We all love this recipe a lot.
Then we went on to create a chocolate mug cake with just 2 ingredients and that was a winner too. Seriously, with a mug and microwave you can make a multitude of single serving treats. You can find some that are gluten free online too.
Here’s where we started creating our easy mug cake recipe.
If you want to get specific, it tastes like coffee cake in a mug really. 😉
- You’ll need a large microwave safe mug – do NOT use a small one or it will overflow
- Flour, sugar and milk you probably have already
- Baking powder and baking soda are surely in your pantry right now
- I prefer salted over unsalted butter
- Brown sugar
There is a crumble topping you add to your dessert in a mug which gives it a bit of texture and sweetness. Of course you can leave that part out and just top it with some whipped cream or vanilla ice cream BUT that is my favorite part.
- Just combine all the items for the batter starting with the dry ingredients, and then incorporate the wet ones.
- Microwave on high for 1.5-2 minutes and enjoy!
Timing will vary slightly depending on your microwave so start with 1 1/2 minutes and add 30 seconds the first time to see if it looks done.
Looking for other mug cake recipes?
We love this chocolate mug cake recipe that you can put rolos or chocolate chips in the middle of it.
- Chocolate chip cookie in a mug is like a tablespoon of chocolate heaven in every bite!
- You can use these same measurements to make funfetti mug cake or vanilla cake in a mug too.
- Just use cake mix of your choice to make any flavor you like. NO vegetable oil or other ingredients necessary other than water. These are beyond easy.
- Where our fat free angel food cake in a mug is just that. Light with low calories but is a guilt free sweet treat for the middle of the night. 😉
- Blueberry muffin in a mug is a perfect little breakfast idea
- What is great about a mug cake with no egg is that everyone can enjoy them!
If you have a pressure cooker you could try our Instant Pot coffee cake recipe too.
Ready to make this microwave mug cake recipe tonight?? Do it and then make our surprise cake and have a party for no reason this week.
Easy Mug Cake Recipe
- Add flour, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon into your large mug. Stir.
- In a small dish melt 2 tbsp butter, pour this into your mug with the milk and vanilla. Stir to form batter.
- In the same dish you melted the butter in add another 1 tbsp of butter and melt it.
- Add 2 tbsp flour, brown sugar and cinnamon into this bowl. Use the back of a spoon to combine it so there is no powdery flour left. Sprinkle this mixture into your mug on top of your batter.
- Put into the microwave for 1.5 minutes, enjoy! (2 min. for some microwaves may be necessary, we thought 1.5 was perfect for ours)