How to make a surprise cake for with a heart or any other hidden shape inside. Easy video tutorial too showing you how to make one yourself.
A surprise cake is fun. Usually they are made with someone in mind and for a special occasion, but have you ever made a surprise in the middle of your cake? What I mean by that is a cake that when you cut into it there is a surprise shape or color inside….it’s so fun!! Let me show you how to make this Valentine’s Day heart surprise cake (or you could make any other shape inside). (originally published 1/17, affiliate links present)
- Isn’t this a fun Valentine’s Day cake, or something for a gift??!!
You’re going to make two cakes total for this recipe. Once the first is done you’ll be on your way to your surprise inside cake.
It’s really quite easy to make this surprise inside cake heart shape shown here. Or use a car if you are making one for a boy’s birthday party!
From my understanding, Amanda Rettke from I Am Baker made the first one of it’s kind. I was curious to see just how simple it would be to make.
- As you know, I don’t always go the homemade route when baking. With that in mind I have done this with a really easy homemade cake mix, and boxed. To me it didn’t matter which way I did it, it turned out as great either way.
- I also used loaf pans instead of 8-inch round cake pans because I thought that would be simpler. It was.
I’ve also made a simple frosting with some powdered sugar and I add more milk to make it thinner, less to create a thick paste. Ready made works too. Get out your mixer and whip up the white cake mix batter on high speed and then you’ll be ready to start.
Ingredients for a surprise cake:
You could make homemade cake mix or boxed, you’ll want 2 different colors / flavors.
- We used vanilla and strawberry cake mix.
- you can just color half your white cake mix too with food coloring
- Cookie cutter in any shape
- Loaf pans
- 1/3 cup frosting to drizzle on top of cake
- or use pastry bags to make a design
- Serving plate
- Mixer on medium speed in order to make batter smooth
Steps to take.
- First you will start by making the pink cake to use for the inside heart. Just combine all items in a large bowl as you would to make a regular cake in a loaf pan.
- take out when toothpick inserted is clean and cool.
- If you want to save money just buy white cake mix and color half of it for the inside pieces.
- you’ll need 2 cake pans for this
Cut each slice about 1 inch thick once the cake is baked and cooled. Stack the heart cut outs to be placed in the middle of the next cake. Discard cake scraps or make cake pops with them!
Once you make the batter for your second cake you can then pour some on the bottom.
- Then line your heart pink cake pieces inside as you see here. Recipe for the vanilla cake below, you can use cake mix too though.
Make sure when you pour the vanilla cake batter in that it surrounds the heart cake layers in between each piece. You can really put any shape in the middle of your cake. In the video below we made a star, perfect for the Fourth of July!
Once caked you can top with frosting or melt Wilton candy melts (affiliate link) and drizzle on top like this one.
For another fun and easy Valentine’s Day treat you can make at home check out how you can make these easy marshmallow candies right at home.
Watch how I make it and then make one yourself!! It shouldn’t take much more than 30 minutes to complete.
Looking for more fun desserts??
- Our flower pot cupcakes are SO fun!
- Pinata cupcakes are filled with goodies.
- Strawberry cake in a mug takes just 1 minute.
- These Fathers Day cupcakes are super cute.
- Strawberry cake mix cookies.
For more easy recipes, tips and crafts please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉
Surprise inside cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prep a loaf pan with baking spray.
- I use colored cake mix for the inside shape part. Bake accordingly in a loaf pan until top springs back. Flip the loaf onto a wire rack to cool.Turn upright to cool completely.With the cookie cutter in hand measure for the width of each slice.Cut each slice about 1" thick..Using the cookie cutter, cut out the hearts or another shape.
- For the vanilla cake or outer layer cake you can use boxed cake mix or for vanilla cake you will beat on high the butter and sugar, then add eggs one at a time, stir in the vanilla and salt.
- Gradually add the flour as you beat on low all ingredients. Fill bottom of loaf pan with 1/3 batter.
- Take your cut outs and line them up so they are next to one another in the middle of your loaf pan, then fill with white cake batter on both sides of shapes and in between the hearts you have in the loaf pan. Bake at 350 for about an hour.