How to make a surprise cake for with a heart or any other hidden shape inside. Easy video tutorial too showing you how to make one yourself.
A surprise cake is fun. Usually they are made with someone in mind and for a special occasion, but have you ever made a surprise in the middle of your cake? What I mean by that is a cake that when you cut into it there is a surprise shape or color inside….it’s so fun!! Let me show you how to make this Valentine’s Day heart surprise cake (or you could make any other shape inside). (originally published 1/17)
Isn’t this a fun Valentine’s Day cake, or something for a gift??!! You’re going to make two cakes total for this recipe, once the first is done you’ll be on your way to your surprise inside cake. Here is how you make it. First you will start by making the pink cake to use for the inside heart, here is how you make the strawberry cake.
Here’s what you need to make a Surprise cake
- Cake mix – and ingredients to make it
- Food coloring – if you want a different color with white cake mix
Watch how I make it and then make one yourself!!
Surprise inside cake
- heart cookie cutter
- Use boxed cake mix or use
- Vanilla cake:
- 1 c butter
- 2 c flour
- 1 c sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prep a loaf pan with baking spray.
- I use colored cake mix for the inside shape part. Bake accordingly in a loaf pan until top springs back. Flip the loaf onto a wire rack to cool.Turn upright to cool completely.With the cookie cutter in hand measure for the width of each slice.Cut each slice about 1" thick..Using the cookie cutter, cut out the hearts or another shape.
- For the vanilla cake or outer layer cake you can use boxed cake mix or for vanilla cake you will beat on high the butter and sugar, then add eggs one at a time, stir in the vanilla and salt.
- Gradually add the flour as you beat on low all ingredients. Fill bottom of loaf pan with 1/3 batter.
- Take your cut outs and line them up so they are next to one another in the middle of your loaf pan, then fill with white cake batter on both sides of shapes and in between the hearts you have in the loaf pan. Bake at 350 for about an hour.
Cut each slice about 1 inch thick when cake is cooled and stack heart cut outs to the side to be used inside the next cake.
Once you make the batter for your second cake you can then pour some on the bottom and line your heart pink cake pieces inside as you see here. Recipe for the vanilla cake are above. Make sure when you pour the vanilla batter that is surrounds the hearts and in between each heart. You can really put any shape in the middle of your cake, like this one we made a star, perfect for the Fourth of July!
Once caked you can top with frosting or melt Wilton candy melts (affiliate link) and drizzle on top like this one.
For another fun and easy Valentine’s Day treat you can make at home check out how you can make these easy marshmallow candies right at home.
For more easy recipes, tips and crafts please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉