How long to cook lamb chops, shoulder chops, loin chops or lamb ribs is here. Use air fryer, oven baked, grilled, pan seared or smoked.
We will talk about how to cook lamb chops perfectly a number of different ways + our easy air fryer recipe version is below. Try them all and see which is your favorite. Add your favorite seasonings and adjust to make them a tender melt in your mouth dinner for your family. (affiliate links present)
How Long Does it Take for Lamb Chops to Get Done
The cooking time for lamb chops depends on a few factors, such as the thickness, the cooking method, and desired level of doneness. Here’s a general guideline for cooking lamb chops to medium rare:
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
And be automatically signed up for our free newsletter too!
- Grilled or Broiled: 4-6 minutes per side
- Pan-Seared: 3-4 minutes per side
- Roasted: 8-10 minutes in oven
- Air fried: 10-22 minutes
- Slow cooked: 6 hours
- Smoked: 20-40 minutes
The reason why there is such a broad time difference is because there are a few different types you can purchase. From the shoulder, to ribs, lamb loin chops being the thickest and “regular” chops with the long bone you’re familiar with. Biggest thing to remember is it doesn’t take long and you should keep an eye on them. Less is more, you don’t want to over-cook any of them.
How to Season Lamb Chops
When it comes to this it is very subjective. Some say that with this (more expensive) cut of meat it should just have salt and pepper. That you should appreciate the natural flavors of the proteins. Others love many different herbs to coat, or just a bottled Lawry’s seasoning salt…..choose your own.
- Prepare your pieces – If you want a quicker cook time + more flavor you should slice rack of lamb into individual pieces so you can rub on top and bottom chop cuts.
- Choose your seasoning – Typically you’ll want a small variety of herbs and spices, depending on your preference. Some common choices include rosemary, fresh thyme, garlic, cumin, coriander, paprika OR just use a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- or for bolder flavors you could choose one of our dry rubs for meat
- Prepare your seasoning mixture – Just use a small bowl to mix your chosen seasonings together or use them individually. If using whole, you can crush them together in a mortar and pestle, or simply mix them in a small bowl.
- Apply the seasoning: Rub your dry mixture all over the lamb shoulder chops, ribs, or loin chops making sure to cover all sides. You can use your hands to massage the seasoning into the meat, or a brush if you prefer.
- Let the seasoning rest – After coated, allow the raw meat to rest at room temperature for about 30 minutes before cooking to allow the flavors to penetrate the meat. Set in a baking dish, covered.
Cook the lamb chops: Grill, broil, pan-sear or air fry lamb chops until they are cooked to your desired level of doneness.
How to Cook Lamb
We love to use our countertop appliances. We show how to cook lamb ribs chops in air fryer here which is great for a bit of crisp on the outside. You could use a Cosori or Ninja Foodi to make it this way.
Below we will share baked lamb chops recipe directions below. That one is really great unless it is summertime and you don’t want to heat up the house anymore. Instead you can use appliances to make meals and skip the added hot like;
- Slow cooker lamb chops work great if you don’t care about a crispy texture. You could sear or broil at the end if you wanted to as well.
- Grilled lamb chops are great too if you want to cook outside! You just preheat your grill to medium high heat. Mix together a few tbsp of olive oil, minced garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper. Rub the mixture over both sides of the meat. Grill on a preheated grill for about 4-6 minutes per side.
- Sautéd lamb chops – heat a bit of olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Mix together seasonings of your choice and rub on both sides of meat. Put in the hot skillet and cook for about 3-4 minutes per side until they reach your desired level of doneness.
For the latter you can easily add a pan sauce of your choice to enhance the flavors even more. Any which way you want to cook them you always want to allow time at the end to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. This will keep the meat nice and moist without the juices flowing out.
Slow Cooked Lamb Chops in Oven
You are going to use 4-6 chops for this. 2 tbsp olive oil will add moisture to the outside and get your seasonings to stick nicely, we used; 2 tbsp minced garlic, 1 tsp rosemary + thyme + salt and a sprinkle of pepper for slow roasted lamb chops.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Rub the mixture over both sides of the lamb chops.
- Preheat cast iron skillet on stovetop with 1 tbsp olive oil inside over medium high heat.
- Place the lamb chops into pan to sear for 2 minutes on each side to brown.
- Immediately transfer pan into the preheated oven.
- Cook for 5-8 minutes, or until meat is tender and at the temperature you’d like
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Serve with your favorite sides, such as roasted vegetables or mashed potatoes. For another stuffed style with this same protein, give our Lamb Breast Recipe a whirl some night.
What temp is lamb safe?
It is said to cook them to the internal temperature of 145 degrees F. just to be completely safe. Though temperatures do range from rare at 120 F, medium rare at 125 F, medium at 130 F, and well done is considered to have no pink and be at 145 degrees.
Everyone has a preference, just like a beef steak. It doesn’t take long to increase a few degrees to pay close attention to each piece near the end and check often so it is just right for you.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
How Long to Cook Lamb Chops
- Rinse chops and pat dry with paper towels. Brush both sides of the chops with olive oil. Mix salt and spices. Sprinkle both sides with spices. If desired, you can leave them to sit covered with cling film, for half an hour or an hour in fridge for more flavor.
- Transfer the lamb chops to the air fryer basket. Cook in air at 375 F for 15 minutes if not preheated or 10 minutes preheated. Flip pieces to the other side and fry for another 5-10 minutes (depending on thickness and how well done you want them to be).
- Grilled or Broiled: 4-6 minutes per side, Pan-Seared: 3-4 minutes per side, Roasted: Slow cooked: 6 hours, Smoked: 20-40 minutes
- ** FDA says to cook them to 145 degrees F. just to be completely safe. Though temperatures do range from rare at 120 F, medium rare at 125 F, medium at 130 F, and well done is considered to have no pink and be at 145 degrees.