Super lazy and easy lasagna casserole recipe that is my kids’ favorite meal! No big messy noodles to cut, just throw it all together and enjoy all the same flavors together.
Of course we have all made lasagna, and we’ve made casseroles…but have you made them together like this cheesy and easy lasagna casserole recipe??!! Well, I hadn’t but since I’ve been all about quick and easy casseroles nowadays I thought why not! (originally published 3/17, affiliate links present)
Lazy Lasagna Casserole
It had to be good, and a lot easier to make than the traditional recipe since I wouldn’t be messing with long slippery noodles that always tore when I tried to make it look pretty. This way I could mix up all the ingredients that make lasagna taste so good, throw it in a casserole dish and top it with lots of cheese (there is never enough).
If your looking for a cheesy casserole your family will love this is a great one. You can use any sort of medium size noodles you want. I just use whatever brand and/or style are on sale since it really doesn’t matter.
So I’ve deconstructed this traditional Italian meal and made enchilada lasagna, which was a hit, and for years I made this easy crockpot lasagna recipe that everyone just loved.
Lazy Lasagna with Ricotta
That too was much easier than how I had made it in the past since you didn’t have to boil the noodles but I really like bite sized noodles (and they’re easier with kids) so I used a box of penne pasta this time.
I boiled them as usual, mixed it all up in a large pot, and then poured it all in my favorite casserole dish here and popped it in the oven to really meld the flavor together, it turned out so yummy and just like lasagna!
- Spaghetti sauce
- Noodles – we used penne
- Cottage cheese
- Sour cream
Use whatever type of ground meat you want, or go for vegetarian. Sausage – spicy Jimmy Dean sausage roll is great and packed with flavor (with a little heat).
Easy Lasagna Casserole with Ricotta Cheese
If you love this idea but want to make it really really quick you can make this pressure cooker lasagna casserole as seen below, or we love this easy chicken tortilla bake too.
I tend to under season a bit when I cook (husband has blood pressure on the higher side), so if you like it really seasoned you might want to add a bit more seasoning and/or salt, or just sprinkle a bit on the top once you taste it but we love this easy lasagna casserole recipe as it is here!
Easy Lazy Lasagna Casserole
You are going to start off by boiling some medium or small noodles as usual in a pot, drain and set aside. I like to keep them just a bit al dente since they will bake a bit longer in the pot with sauce and in the oven too. You are NOT going to use traditional large lasagna noodles for this, medium shells work best I think.
- In another larger pot cook your sausage or ground beef over medium heat.
- Then add onions and cook until sausage is no longer pink and onions soften a bit.
- Add your spaghetti or marinara sauce, turn heat to low. Stir.
- Add all other ingredients into your pot except 1 c. of mozzarella cheese (that will be used at the end to top your casserole).
- Stir and add your cooked pasta that has been drained.
- Stir, pour ricotta mixture into 9×12 baking dish (I spray with non stick spray beforehand).
- Put aluminum foil on top of dish and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes just until it bubbles.
- Take foil off, sprinkle last cups mozzarella cheese on top (could add parmesan cheese too) and put back in for 5 minutes.
Serve with a sprinkle of Italian seasoning, diced parsley or your pasta mixture with more cheese on top and just a side of rolls.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Easy Lasagna Casserole
- 1 9×13 pan or casserole dish
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce
- 10 oz noodles I used penne
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 c mushrooms quartered, optional
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 c parmesan
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 c ricotta
- 1/3 c cottage cheese
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 2 c mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 pkg sausage spicy version best, I used Jimmy Dean, 16 oz.
- Boil noodles as usual in a pot until al dente, drain and set aside.
- In another pot cook your sausage, then add onions and cook until sausage is no longer pink and onions soften a bit.
- Add your spaghetti sauce in with sausage, turn heat to low. Stir.
- Add all other ingredients into your pot too except 1 c. of mozzarella cheese (that will be used at the end to top your casserole).
- Stir in your cooked and drained noodles. Stir, pour into 9×12 casserole dish (I spray with non stick spray beforehand).
- Put aluminum foil on top of dish and cook for 30 minutes at 350 degrees just until it bubbles.
- Take foil off, sprinkle last cup of cheese on top and put back in for 5 minutes. Serve!
Wednesday 25th of September 2019
Recipe Lasagna stew easy and delicious. I will save the recipe to cook this dish.
The Typical Mom
Wednesday 25th of September 2019
Friday 2nd of November 2018
If I made this meatless would I need to add anything else or change the cook time?
The Typical Mom
Sunday 4th of November 2018
I probably would keep timing the same.
Thursday 19th of July 2018
Snacks are great, I will learn to do it to enjoy. Thank you for sharing the formula
Monday 18th of September 2017
Very useful info, thanks
Monday 27th of March 2017
This decontructed version of my favorite is sure to become a new family favorite. Can't wait to try!