Sloppy Joe bread bowls are great for a football appetizer or any other party you’re having! Easy to make and delicious! Everyone will be talking about them at your Super Bowl party.
Are you ready for the Big Game, or for friends to just come over and hang out? Here is a fun appetizer that is sure to be a hit at your football party. You just need 4 things to make these easy sloppy joe bread bowls. (originally published 2/16, affiliate links present)
Sloppy Joe Appetizers
- We love a get together with friends, and sometimes watching the game is a good excuse to invite people over!
I’m all about one stop shopping. Believe me when I say that all the ingredients to this football appetizer are easy to find at Walmart.
When you first walk in the fresh bakery department should be right there. If you’ve never bought anything there you’ll be pleasantly surprised at the selection and just how FRESH their stuff is.
I found these wheat Bolillios that were perfectly shaped like footballs (lucky duck I know. Grabbed 1 lb. of ground beef, found the Manwich I would need for the sloppy joes and of course the sour cream is by the yogurt.
- If you want to make homemade easy sloppy joes we have a recipe for sloppy joes without Manwich here.
When you get home you’ll want to start your sloppy joes….this part is easy. Just brown your ground beef and then add your can of Manwich.
- If you forget to thaw out your meat, no worries, here are instructions for defrosting Instant Pot frozen ground beef.
Now turn it to low and allow it to simmer at least 20 minutes so it develops that really rich yummy flavor!
If you are having a party just throw it into a slow cooker on low and it can literally stay warm in there for hours. And it just gets better and better over time.
Now take your rolls and cut the shape of a football into the top and pull that piece out.
You can serve these as just one of your many football party food items!
I have made these as appetizers for occasions other than a football party. I will show you below what those look like too, they’re one of our faves!
Now once your MANWICH sloppy joe mix has simmered for a while fill the inside of your mini bread bowls. Then get your sour cream ready. Here’s my “hack”!
I am cheap (um, I mean frugal) so I just pick up some pint size freezer bags. Use these for piping the sour cream on your sloppy joe bread bowls!
- Literally it is so easy to fill and snip a small hole in the corner in order to make the football lace pattern.
Sloppy Joe bread bowls
It is fun to have a few ready and waiting when guests come over. These mini sloppy joe bread bowls are usually the hit of the party because they’re just so cute.
Like I said, keep the remaining batch in your crockpot so people can serve themselves.
Keep the rolls in a basket or warm in the oven until people are ready to make more.
If you’re having a get together that’s not football related just pick up some white rolls at Walmart. Hollow out the middle, and serve them with these little appetizer forks (found by the toothpicks). 😉
Are you having a get together for the Big Game??
What are a few appetizers you love to serve? If you’re looking for a great dip try my cheesy chili dip but beware…..it’s addicting!
- Our Instant Pot sloppy joes are wonderful too.
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Sloppy Joe Bread Bowls
- Put meat into pan on your stovetop with a bit of olive oil, onions and bell peppers. Once browned add can of Manwich.
- Turn to a very low simmer and allow to cook, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes to allow flavors to deepen.
- Turn off. Hollow out top and middle of small bread bowls. Fill with sloppy joe mixture and top with cheese or dollop of sour cream.