201+ indoor activities for kids that are free to do. If you’re looking for some rainy day indoor play activities, we have a bunch and are always coming up with more for screen free days.
Let’s keep kids busy! Even older children will love these indoor fun ideas. Here are 201+ free and cheap indoor activities for kids that will keep them busy on rainy days. And when you just feel like having fun in your living room! Find some things at the Dollar Store and get started. (originally published 5/14, affiliate links present)
Let’s start with one of our favorite indoor activities for kids
Younger kids love this! Marble rollers are super easy to make.
- I used a bread knife and cut the pool noodle. You can find a bunch here if you’re making many for multiple children or for a party. Slice each lengthwise in the middle, so it’s cut exactly in half.
- Then find a chair tall enough to rest one end on to make a pool noodle slide of sorts
- Find a few bouncy balls or marbles that can be rolled down it
- This indoor game will keep them busy for quite some time.
It’s an experiment of sorts.
Let your children find where it might work in the house. “What is high enough so our balls will roll down?” ask them.
Of course make sure if you have little ones who put things in their mouths that you monitor them closely. Balls can be a choking hazard. Or find larger balls that aren’t heavy to roll down it.
- You could duct tape or use masking tape to bind toilet paper rolls together to make something similar to this too! It’s great indoor fun for all.
This is a really fun and free indoor activity for kids if you already have everything at home like we did!
You are ready for races!!
You could even put a solo cup at the end of the runway to see who could get the ball into the cup. Now that would be super fun!! 🙂
- Yes there are tons of things for kids to do in the summer but those aren’t always feasible when the weather is yucky.
- If you’re trying to entertain them on a rainy day, there’s a school holiday or otherwise we have you covered!
Indoor activities for kids
- Make scented playdough
- This is how to dye eggs with Kool-Aid….doesn’t just have to be done at Easter=healthy snack after!
- Create some superhero slime
- Have an indoor snowball fight!
- Hide and seek is always great
- 16 kid friendly playdough recipes
This is how to make homemade play putty that will keep them busy for hours.
- Want to know the ingredients in playdoh and how to make edible chocolate play dough? It is really fun and kid safe.
- Homemade edible playdough is always fun
- Here are more edible crafts for kids
Now if you have a large yard or open areas nearby you could take advantage of the long list of outdoor activities for kids we have.
- Play games – Qwirkle is one of our favorites and great for all ages
- Make a few mason jar luminaries and light up the porch!
- Have fun with Kool-Aid paint! If you’re having cabin fever do this on the outside patio for some fresh air.
- Here’s the best way to make slime X 100!
Rainy day activities for kids
- Dr. Seuss finger puppets
- Rainbow weaving art is fun for all ages
- This is How to make slime with glue
- How to make homemade hand warmers or bean bags is fun and an easy craft
- Have them dance for their stuffed animals with roaring applause from you
- 10 free Kindergarten printables are here if your child is that age
Print this free Summer to do list which has many indoor activities for kids & then highlight the other ones you want to do once it clears up…there’s 50 ideas total!
- Here are some fun indoor snowball activities that require NO snow!
- We have a bunch of free holiday printables you can use
- I have a bunch of free Disney printables for coloring, word searches and more here too.
- Edible playdough is fun
- There’s many different free Bingo games you can download and play together
- Create this boredom buster jar when they’re looking for more ideas…they can come up with their own on this one!
- Challenge your kids to come up with their own indoor winter games, and teach you how to play them!
How to make picture magnets is here and so fun.
Now what if you want to cook with kids too??!!
- Try pizza in a mug with them because they’ll be able to do the whole thing themselves!
- We do have a bunch of other fun mug recipes you can try too but here are a few of our other favorites:
If you want to head into the backyard for some FREE fun, or take a walk around the neighborhood.
Take a look at my post on hiking ideas for kids. You don’t need to be hiking to do these either, you can enjoy them with a trip around your block.
I hope you enjoy our outdoor and indoor activities for kids. They are cheap and/or free to do and they’ll have fun.
Here’s a few activities that are free or less than $10 a day to do with your kids.
For more easy recipes, activities and crafts please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook, sign up for my newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest!