If you’re looking for a fun and inexpensive craft for kids these mason jar luminaries are great! Perfect for any holiday or classroom project, you only need a few items to create a glow in the dark mason jar that can be any color you like. Great indoor or outdoor decorations or DIY nightlights for your child’s room.
Aren’t these DIY luminaries fun??!! You could use them as a mason jar nightlight too in your child’s room to light it up just enough to make them feel safe, and they’re easy to make too! Perfect for any and all holidays if you’re looking for an easy craft for kids, or a classroom activity too. Pick a color and check out how you can make these mason jar luminaries too!
Here’s what it looks like in the dark, and before adding the lights below. This one is themed for St. Patrick’s Day but any color or shape could be created with just some mod podge, a tea light candle or lights, scissors, a paint brush, and even glitter if you want.
Mod podge is so versatile. You can use it in so many crafts, and it is inexpensive as well which we love. If you’re looking for easy crafts for kids we have a bunch. During the holidays it is always fun to come up with an activity to do with your kids, or if you’re a teacher…for your students!
This one is so simple that even Kindergarten students could make one to take home and enjoy, or give away as a gift during Christmas time.
I loved the holidays when I was teaching. During these times I always had one day where I created centers with activities and crafts. The students rotated to each one so they could make something to take home and enjoy. With a few parent helpers you can easily make these mason jar luminaries, and you could probably get parents to donate everything you need too since there aren’t too many items needed and you can buy most of them in bulk.
Here’s what you’ll need to make these mason jar luminaries
- Mason jars
- Mod Podge – buy a large container like this one and pour just a bit into Dixie cups for each student to use, cuts down on cost
- Glitter – if you want
- Tea lights or a small string of lights run on batteries, you could even put a few glow sticks inside
Here are the directions
- Cut shamrocks or any other shape out of cardstock
- Paint mod podge all over the front of your cardstock shape
- Place it on the inside of your mason jar
- Hold it in place and use a paintbrush to paint some more mod podge on to the backside of your shape to adhere it to the inside of your jar (if you are adding a shape at all, not necessary)
- If you want glitter on the jar mix some in with mod podge in a small Dixie cup
- Dab your sponge into this glitter mixture and dab it onto the outside of your mason jar, you can let it dry and add another coat too if you want
- When you’re done let it dry completely
- Place a battery operated tea light or string of lights inside your mason jar
If you make it for another holiday let us see!!
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉