Cake mix pumpkin donuts baked at home are so easy with no deep frying required. Oven baked is healthier whether you decide to make them from scratch homemade with our recipe, or with as an easy cake mix recipe. We will share both of them below so you can choose.
Baked pumpkin donuts aren’t just to be fried or bought at a store. They are quite easy to make at home with a pan and in the oven, eliminating the grease. Plus you can make whatever flavor you want, and top with anything you’d like. Just one pumpkin dessert recipe we love. (post may contain affiliate links present)
Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts
We love pumpkin anything, and not just during Oct. – Nov. seasons. You can make boxed moist pumpkin bread but these homemade baked pumpkin donuts might just hit the spot for some extra special morning fun.
Follow this recipe and use a donut pan to create your own yummies at home. You’ll be amazed at just how easy cake donuts are to make yourself at home. This spiced mix really is quite versatile, we have made all sorts of things with it from Pumpkin Bars with Cake Mix to muffins, blondies and more.
Cake Mix Pumpkin Donuts
If you didn’t want to go all out and just wanted to make a Fall flavored glaze instead I would start by making biscuit donuts. Then whisk powdered sugar, a bit of milk and puree or extract. To make this delicious breakfast creation you are going to need the following ingredients:
If you are making this as cake mix donuts you would want spice version + 2 eggs + 3/4 c buttermilk + 4 tbsp pumpkin puree.
Baked Pumpkin Donut Recipe
- Flour and baking powder
- Pumpkin puree either canned or you can make Instant Pot pumpkin, blend with a bit of pumpkin pie spice and use that.
- Vanilla extract
- Baking soda
- Room temperature eggs
- Brown sugar
- This donut pan, wire rack for cooling and a medium bowl
And Fall seasonings will further enhance the flavor of these babies too. If you want to make pumpkin donuts with cake mix you will skip the above and just whisk together 1 box of spice cake mix (or yellow cake mix), 2 eggs, 4 tbsp melted butter or homemade pumpkin puree and 3/4 cup of buttermilk.
You can use boxed pumpkin bread mix that is all around during the holidays if you aren’t into “from scratch”. Sometimes I’m in the mood and want to start from the beginning though.
You can go simple for the glaze and just mix about 1 c. powdered sugar with water. Slowly whisk until it is the thickness you want. Then add toppings…or you can melt chocolate too.
Most of the time I use pint sized freezer bags and cut the tip off to pipe into a pan or use for frosting, but if I find these on sale I will buy them instead….it’s all about economics. lol
Homemade Baked Donuts
Here is a brief step by step but there are detailed directions below in the printable recipe card. Nutritional facts are included for the homemade version as well, including the chocolate glaze. Preheat oven to 350 F. degrees. Spray donut pan with non stick cooking spray.
Add the flour and other dry ingredients together, in another whisk the wet ingredients together. Then slowly incorporate the all purpose flour mixture with the sugar mixture until smooth.
- Add batter into a freezer bag or pastry bag.
- Cut off the tip and squeeze inside prepared donut pan.
- Do not fill more than halfway full to create the perfect donut shape with hole in the center.
- Now bake for 10-12 minutes or until outsides are lightly browned. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
If you want to make the chocolate glaze mix ingredients listed in a bowl until smooth. When cool hold the edges and dip the top, place back on cooling rack. When cooled glaze, frost, or top as you’d like and enjoy away!
Pumpkin Cake Donuts
These are fantastic just as is as you see here. You don’t have to use chocolate at all for the top if you don’t want to. I mean all sorts of things can be used as alternatives, or leave them plain.
You could use a tub of ready made frosting and let the kids go to town decorating the tops once they are cooled. Another option is to just use cinnamon sugar sprinkle like our donut muffins did.
Or just serve as is with a cup of Dalgona coffee and your morning will be perfection.
Don’t stop with our baked pumpkin donuts with glaze though! You can bake donuts of all kinds with this same pan too. If you want to get the kiddos involved you should. We used one of our popular cake mix recipes and did just that the other weekend.
We love 2 ingredient pumpkin muffins as regular or in a mini muffin pan.
Pumpkin Cake Mix Donuts
We have made chocolate cake mix donuts before. If you wanted more of a Fall flare, use spice cake mix instead of chocolate with some pumpkin pie spice and follow the recipe highlighted above.
Make an evening of it. Allow the kids to spoon on some frosting and a bunch of different candies on top. Makes for a yummy and fun afternoon for everyone.
How do you keep cake donuts fresh?
Do not refrigerate them, they’ll dry out that way. It isn’t necessary either so instead wrap them individually in plastic wrap, then into a freezer bag together. Kept on the countertop they will keep moist for up to 4 days.
Sure! If you buy or make a bunch but can’t eat them all then allow them to cool and wrap in plastic wrap. Stack them in a gallon freezer bag until full and zip closed. Freeze flat and take out one at a time.
To reheat them allow to come to room temperature instead of microwaving for best results.
Pumpkin Donuts Air Fryer
You could bake these at 400 degrees F on a piece of parchment paper (since the pan wouldn’t fit). You’d need to preheat beforehand so you can quickly pipe circles on the paper and close quickly so they don’t spread out much. I find using this method, biscuit donuts work better because of this issue.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Easy Baked Donut Recipe
Baked Pumpkin Donuts
- 2 c all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 c vegetable oil
- 3/4 c brown sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 c pumpkin canned, puree
- 1/3 c milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- glaze you can melt candy melts and pour over the top to harden once donuts are cooled or use below
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp milk or more to thin out
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Baked Pumpkin Donuts – Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray donut pan with non stick spray.
- In a bowl mix dry ingredients together, in another whisk the wet ingredients together. Then slowly incorporate the two until combined.
- Add batter into a freezer bag or pastry bag. Cut off the tip and squeeze inside prepared donut pan. Do not fill more than halfway full to create the perfect donut shape with hole in the center.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until outsides are lightly browned. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- If you want to make glaze mix ingredients listed above in a bowl until smooth. When cool hold the edges and dip the top, place back on cooling rack.
- Cake Mix Pumpkin Donuts – 1 box cake mix + 2 eggs + 3/4 c buttermilk + 4 tbsp pumpkin puree or butter (melted) in a bowl and mix together until smooth but thick. Spray donut pan and set into preheated oven at 350 F for 10 minutes. Cool, melt candy melts and pour on top, decorate each.