Cake mix donuts are so easy to make using any flavor of boxed cake mix! It’s an easy baking project you can do with your kids and a fun way to make baked donuts right at home with a few ingredients. Load them up with fun toppings for breakfast or dessert.
We are all about easy when it comes to baking and these cake mix donuts are just the best! Using just 4 ingredients these doughnuts came out fantastic, and were fun to make with the kids. Top them with lots of candies and sprinkles to customize them however you’d like and they’re a great birthday party activity too! Let us know what you think.(originally published 6/16)
We make cupcakes often, have made cookies too, and have even shared how to make brownies from cake mix… but thought there had to be a way to make easy cake mix donuts so we gave it a go this afternoon.
Aren’t these cake mix donuts fun??!!
My daughters and I made these together and they were really tasty + the consistency of cake donuts you would buy at the donut store!
When we made peanut butter cookie brownies using cake mix and then thought using cake mix to make something else might be fun!
Here are a few things you will need to make these easy cake mix donuts
- Donut pan
- Pint size freezer baggies
- Wilton melts (for chocolate “icing”)
- Or melt chocolate chips with a little coconut oil (helps it to melt smooth)
- Variety of toppings (smashed Andes mints are amazing)
- Medium sized bowl
- Cooling rack so they can cool completely before frosting them
- Plastic bag (freezer style) if you want to squeeze frosting on with a design, and to squeeze in your batter.
There are a LOT of different ways to glaze or frost doughnuts so use your imagination as far as that goes. We will share the choice we made below though.
Here is how you make this super easy breakfast or dessert treat:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix together ingredients listed below
- Spoon your batter into a freezer bag, get air out, and snip corner off of bag.
- Squeeze batter into your Donut pan so they all have an equal amount
- Bake at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes depending on how thick your batter is, 10 minutes seems to work well for us if you will it well
- Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes
- Mix together glaze and spoon over the top
For a REALLY easy vanilla extract glaze just whisk together water and powdered sugar until it is thick and the right consistency. That is it!
Then add candies when chocolate/frosting is still wet and warm so they stick well.
Ok so let us show you just how easy and fun these chocolate cake mix donuts are to make!
Looking for other cake mix dessert recipes??
- Brownies from Devils food cake will change the way you make dessert
- Cherry pineapple dump cake recipe is one of our favorite throw together treats
- Crinkle cookies recipe are great during the holidays with multiple colors
- Strawberry cake in a mug uses just 2 ingredients and water
If you want to make doughnuts from scratch here is an easy homemade donut holes recipes.
Cake mix donuts
- Mix together melted butter, eggs, buttermilk and cake mix.
- Add mixture to pint freezer bag and cut end off.
- Spray donut plan and squeeze mixture into pan (barely halfway full).
- Cook at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or until donut springs back.
For more easy recipes, tips and crafts please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉