Cake mix donuts are so easy to make using any flavor of boxed cake mix! It’s an easy baking project you can do with your kids and a fun way to make baked donuts right at home with a few ingredients. Load them up with fun toppings for breakfast or dessert.
We are all about easy when it comes to baking and these cake mix donuts are just the best! Let us know what you think. One of our favorite boxed cake mix recipes. (originally published 6/16, affiliate links present)
Using just 4 ingredients these doughnuts came out fantastic, and were fun to make with the kids. Top them with lots of candies and sprinkles to customize them however you’d like and they’re a great birthday party activity too!
We make cupcakes often, have made cookies too, and have even shared how to make brownies from cake mix… but thought there had to be a way to make easy cake mix donuts so we gave it a go this afternoon.
My daughters and I made these together and they were really tasty + the consistency of cake donuts you would buy at the donut store!
When we made peanut butter cookie brownies using cake mix and then thought using cake mix to make something else might be fun!
Cake mix donuts
- Cake mix of your choosing or make homemade yellow cake mix
- Donut pan
- Pint size freezer baggies
- Wilton melts (for chocolate “icing”)
- Or melt chocolate chips with a little coconut oil (helps it to melt smooth)
- Variety of toppings (smashed Andes mints are amazing)
- Medium sized bowl
- Cooling rack so they can cool completely before frosting them
- Plastic bag (freezer style) if you want to squeeze frosting on with a design, and to squeeze in your batter.
There are a LOT of different ways to glaze or frost doughnuts so use your imagination as far as that goes. We will share the choice we made below though.
We added gummy bears, Nerds, M&Ms, and some crushed Andes mints to ours because that is what we had in the cupboard.
Donuts using cake mix
These really are a fun and easy baking project to do with kids because they bake quick and easy.
- I suggest that you squeeze batter into your Donut pan using pint size freezer bags. Just cut the tip off and use it like a pastry bag of sorts.
- Then they will all have an equal amount of batter in each one.
For a REALLY easy vanilla extract glaze just whisk together water and powdered sugar until it is thick and the right consistency. That is it!
Well, instead of round you can make a batch of Instant Pot donut holes. You’ll use a version of this recipe, and they are still so good + fun to make!
I prefer anything that isn’t fried personally. We have made baked pumpkin donuts in the oven too that were great. I’d just rather omit the oil entirely.
Ok this is my exception to the rule. These are fried and so addictive with a really fluffy texture. At home though I’d rather bake.
The best part is how to decorate them though right?? Just like cute cupcakes everyone can make their own creations.
Another easy idea is to beat together some room temp. cream cheese with marshmallow creme and frost.
Make sure you spray your donut pan so they will just slide out when they are done.
You can melt chocolate chips, use frosting out of a tub, or the melt the Wiltons melts to dip the tops in once the donuts are cooled.
Then add candies when chocolate/frosting is still wet and warm so they stick well.
- Our fried peanut butter and jelly donuts are super yummy, as well as a few air fryer apple fritters for breakfast.
Chocolate cake mix donuts
Looking for other cake mix dessert recipes??
- Brownies from Devils food cake will change the way you make dessert
- Cherry pineapple dump cake recipe is one of our favorite throw together treats
- Crinkle cookies recipe are great during the holidays with multiple colors
- Strawberry cake in a mug uses just 2 ingredients and water
If you want to make doughnuts from scratch here is an easy homemade donut holes recipes.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Time needed: 10 minutes.
Cake Mix Donuts
Mix together melted butter, eggs, buttermilk and cake mix.
Add mixture to pint freezer bag and cut end off.
Spray donut plan and squeeze mixture into pan (barely halfway full).
Cook at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or until donut springs back.
Cake Mix Donuts
- Mix together melted butter, eggs, buttermilk and cake mix.
- Add mixture to pint freezer bag and cut end off.
- Spray donut plan and squeeze mixture into pan (barely halfway full).
- Cook at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or until donut springs back.