How to cook air fryer pork belly or salt pork so it’s full of flavor with a great crispy texture on the outside.
Want to make air fryer pork belly or salted pork? Here’s how to get it crispy and OH SO amazingly wonderful. Just one of our favorite easy air fryer recipes here on The Typical Mom blog.
If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- THIS is my Favorite Air Fryer!
- You can find more Air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
- Grab the best air fryer cookbook here.
- Here’s a printable air fryer cook times chart here for your fridge.
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
- Then join our Facebook page where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love. We have a Foodi social media group as well.
The piece starts out from the underside or the belly of the pig. It’s the flesh that runs under the pig. Sometimes ignored by consumers, it can be quite tasty if cooked right.
It actually has more meat and healthy fat than a slab of bacon. Sought after by chefs it can come out incredibly tender if cooked low and slow, or have cracklin’ crispy outer skin that’s fabulous.
Of course. It has a similar yet more complex flavor. Sliced for breakfast or diced and added into our Instant Pot potato corn chowder is amazing too.
Salt pork is cured pork using the belly piece that prolongs the shelf life. Resembling uncut slab bacon it has a similar taste but is fattier overall. Buying pork belly is quite easy in your local grocery store, by the ham.
We chose salted pork for this time. Crispy all over was the goal since that is what an air fryer does best.
Is pork belly hard to cook?
I wouldn’t say the difficulty is high. You just have to figure out how you want it. If very tender is what you desire with crispy skin I’d follow this slow roasted recipe.
But if you like it crispy all over with tons of flavor, I’d air fry pork belly like we did here.
Air fryer salt pork
Time needed: 13 minutes.
Air fryer pork belly
Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees F for 5 minutes.
Slice pork belly or salted pork into 1″ thick pieces for an overall crispy texture on all sides. Rub olive oil on all sides of each piece, then sprinkle pepper all over. If you have pork belly that isn’t salted then sprinkle salt on all sides too.
Place slices inside air fryer basket without overlapping. Cook at 400 degrees F for 13 minutes total flipping after minute 5 and 10. Remove when it is as browned and crispy on the outside as you’d like.
Thicker pieces will take longer, maybe 15 minutes total. Ensure it is cooked all the way thru before consuming since it is pork.
This is how it turns out! Patted dry at the end your pieces of pork belly should be crispy just like you enjoy your bacon. Cut the pork belly into bite size pieces and enjoy as you wish.
Plain is our preference but some like a thin layer of bbq sauce on top. This is the best way to cook the pork belly in my opinion because the grease drains away which gets each bite really really criso,
If you want to make a crispy pork belly recipe with Chinese five spice and a crunchy coating on the outside you can follow these directions. For those who want to cook it in one large piece, follow these directions:
They’re provided by a member of the Ninja Foodi EASY Recipes Facebook page.
- Score and salt your pork belly. Leave in fridge uncovered overnight and allow to dry out.
- Rub in salt and olive oil and leave in fridge uncovered for 2/3 hours.
- Pre heat on air fry at 180 degrees F. Use the rack, in your Foodi.
- Place pork skin side down at 180 degrees F for 25 minutes
- Turn up air fryer to 200, place belly skin side up and air fry for 20 mins.
- Rest and enjoy perfect cracking.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
You could easily make air fryer pork belly bites by slicing as I did and then cubing into smaller pieces. Similar to our air fryer steak bites you could make it salty and sweet with a bit of soy sauce and brown sugar coating.
Bite size pieces of anything are always fun and make cooking time really quick! Use a whole piece as shown above, scored, and it will take closer to 30 minutes (depending on the size) but I assure you it will blow you away.
Air Fryer Pork Belly
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Slice pork belly or salted pork into 1" thick pieces. Rub olive oil on all sides of each piece, then sprinkle pepper all over. If you have pork belly that isn't salted then sprinkle salt on all sides too.
- Place inside air fryer basket without overlapping.
- Cook at 400 degrees F for 13 minutes total flipping after minute 5 and 10. Remove when it is as browned and crispy on the outside as you'd like. Thicker pieces will take longer. Ensure it is cooked all the way thru before consuming since it is pork.