Here is a list of fun and free Summer reading programs for your kids to participate in and earn free books and prizes too. Local and Nationwide programs you can sign up for during the Summer months which encourage reading and are appropriate for all ages.
Summer is just around the corner and it’s time to find some FUN programs for your kids to participate in! I found some great Summer reading programs at different stores and libraries that your children can participate in and some offer free books as rewards for their reading!! I have also included a list of some of the TOP book picks for grades 1-6 for your reference. Reading programs are great for kids to keep them up to speed on their literacy during the Summer time and some award them with little trinkets when they reach a goal of theirs. 😉 (originally published 5/17)
Summer reading programs
- Scholastic’s Summer Challenge: Kids can keep track of their reading minutes by logging in. In return, they can win digital prizes. Plus, they will be able to enter a sweepstakes for gifts like Klutz books and other fun rewards. Mom and Dad can also register in conjunction with their children to track progress. This event is May – Sept, but you can get registered right now.
- Pottery Barn Kids’ Summer Reading Challenge: Kids 10 and under will need to read the books listed on an age-appropriate list. Once they finish the list, they take their reading list to a PBK store and will get a free book. This event kicks off on May 16th and runs through August 26th.
- Chuck E Cheese: Your child can keep track of their reading through one of the rewards calendars. Once they have completed two weeks of reading he or she can submit the completed Chuck E Cheese calendar for 10 free tokens!
- Barnes & Noble’s Summer Reading: This one requires kids to read eight books an then make a short recommendation on each one. They can then turn in their completed Summer Reading form at a store and choose a free book from this list! This even starts May 21st and runs through September 3rd.
Local Libraries: Be sure to check with your local library to see what sort of summer reading program is offered. A quick search on my local library’s website helped me find out that my library offers tickets to a local water park for participating in the program! You can find a public library in your area here.
- Pizza Hut – Reading and reward program begins June 22nd and rewards kids with free mini pizzas when they read a certain number of books.
- Sylvan Learning Centers – Offers online reading experiences, quizzes and more during the Summer and is free to participate in.
- You can create your own reading program at home by making a book swap party with other moms and their kids with similar reading levels, it’s a fun activity and gets kids excited about reading too.
- Another fun thing to do is share books you and your child have read and track their journey throughout the US and world! It is a free program to join and would be a fun sharing / reading experiment to do with your kids this Summer! Here is the information on bookcrossing.com.
- There are lots of other free activities to do during the summer too like this free bowling program and free roller skating too, have fun!
Here is a list of the TOP books children love for grades 1-6. I also have a few links here if you’d like to purchase 1 or more. If you aren’t sure what level your child is you can check this Accelerated Reader levels by color post which gives you levels and good books that are appropriate for their skill level.
You can also check the Kindle deals of the day each day for free books and bargains for adults and kids.
Hope you find some fun Summer reading programs from our list!