Pressure cooker chicken noodle casserole is the comfort food you dream of for dinner made right in your Instant Pot, Crockpot Express and Ninja Foodi in less than 10 minutes flat! YUM.
Ever made chicken noodle soup and wished it was a bit heartier?? Well this pressure cooker chicken noodle casserole is the answer! Like a pasta chicken pot pie in your Instant Pot, we can’t get enough of it. One of our favorite Instant Pot recipes. (originally published 3/19, affiliate links present)
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Casserole
- We have made many different Instant Pot casseroles because that’s what I grew up on, but now they can be made a lot faster in our multi cooker pot.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
If you have rotisserie or leftover cooked chicken, Instant Pot chicken casserole is a quick throw together dinner you can make in no time.
We used rotisserie this time. Fresh chicken can be used as well if you want. I will share all variations in recipe card below so you can make it in a variety of ways.
If you’ve been following The Typical Mom blog for a while you know I am all about easy pressure cooker recipes and this is one of the easiest.
I typically don’t use precooked chicken but I do like to have a few recipes using leftover chicken recipes in my back pocket, like this one. I just hate wasting food.
- When I do buy one of these at the store we usually make soft tacos the first night by shredding the meat up and loading them up with veggies.
- The next day I use what’s left in a recipe like the one you see here. It adds a lot of flavor to the meat and revives it I guess you could say. 😉
Here’s what it looks like once it is done and I’m thickening it up at the very end. If you wanted to leave it as is it would be sort of a creamy chicken noodle soup.
Good still, but we were aiming for a casserole and those are typically thicker. The pasta you use is up to you. I generally use what I have in my pantry.
Sometimes it’s a mix of farfalle and medium shells if that’s what I have on hand. Remember, no wasting around here. lol
- Shredded cheddar cheese is wonderful when added in at the very end too. We’re cheese obsessed around here.
Here are the basic steps to follow. I have a printable recipe card at the bottom of this post as well.
Time needed: 12 minutes.
Instant Pot chicken noodle casserole
Add some olive oil and uncooked diced chicken if using cooked chicken you’ll skip this step which will make your cook time even quicker
Turn Instant Pot to saute and cook until outside of chicken pieces are no longer pink Make sure to turn pot off at this time to avoid overheating.
- Add ingredients
Add in your frozen vegetables, uncooked noodles and garlic salt
In a separate bowl whisk together broth and condensed soup until smooth. Dump this in and stir contents together.
Cook on high pressure cook for 2 minutes followed by a quick release. If you like very soft noodles set to 3 minutes.
Allow to sit for 10 minutes for sauce to thicken. If you want it thicker still you can set to saute, whisk 1 tbsp. cornstarch and water together and add that. The longer it sits the thicker it will be.
If you have used cream of chicken or mushroom soups before you know it takes longer to come to pressure than other ingredients.
Instant Pot chicken noodle casserole
- Chicken breasts – we used 2 rotisserie chicken breasts, can use leftover chicken or diced fresh boneless chicken
- Frozen vegetables – could use canned mixed vegetables, drained
- Small noodles – we used farfalle but small penne would work well too
- I haven’t used frozen egg noodles but others have with success
- Cream of chicken soup
- Chicken broth
- Cornstarch – optional, to thicken it up
- Half and half
- Cheese – lots of cheese for us, use as little or much as you want
I promise you this will become your new family favorite “we have no time to cook tonight” meal!
If you’re new to pressure cooking, welcome! Here at The Typical Mom blog we have hundreds to choose from for your Ninja Foodi as well as this pretty pot of mine.
I always use common ingredients that are easy to find at your local grocery store, and are family friendly. Instant Pot kids recipes are kinda’ my thing since I have 3 girls at home.
Other easy Instant Pot chicken recipes you will love:
- Tips on how to cook frozen chicken in the Instant Pot (in case all you have is frozen)
- This Instant Pot chicken thighs bone in recipe is fabulous
- Instant Pot chicken noodle soup is great even when you aren’t sick
- Our pressure cooker chicken and rice recipe is similar to this but with white rice instead of pasta
We have over 100 other easy Instant Pot recipes here too for your dinner needs.
How long can you keep a chicken casserole in the fridge?
The Food Safety Dept. recommends that casseroles containing chicken and pieces of chicken that have been cooked will stay good in the fridge for 3-4 days. Nuggets and patties will only last 1-2 days.
I will say that we’ve never had leftovers, but this is the general rule for storing what’s left.
Can you freeze homemade chicken casserole?
- You can assemble all the ingredients for your casserole and then freeze it unbaked. This is a great way to prepare an easy freezer meal for your family.
- If you want to freeze a baked casserole, let it cool before wrapping it and freezing. Always use freezer bags or air tight containers. To bake a frozen casserole you can first thaw it in the fridge overnight and bake it the next day.
I would not reheat it in your pressure cooker. In the microwave stirring every minute, or in the oven would be a better way of reheating a casserole.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Pressure Cooker Chicken Noodle Casserole
- If using precooked chicken (leftovers or rotisserie are great) make sure it is diced into bite size pieces and put it into your pressure cooker.If using fresh chicken (make sure pieces are diced into small bite size pieces) set pot to saute with 1 tbsp olive oil and cook until outsides are no longer pink. Then turn pot off.
- Add mixed vegetables and garlic salt into your pot with your chicken. Sprinkle uncooked noodles noodles on the top.
- In a bowl whisk together your broth and cream of chicken soup so it is smooth/well combined. Dump this into your Instant Pot and gently submerge noodles into liquid below.
- Close your lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 2 minutes.
- Do a quick release and stir contents. Set your pot to saute again.
- In a bowl whisk together half and half and cornstarch until smooth, pour this mixture into your pot once contents are bubbling.
- Stir, will thicken quickly. Stir in cheese and allow to melt. Turn pot off and pour contents into a serving dish so it doesn’t continue to cook and noodles get too soft.