Here are lots of Summer staycation ideas you can do as a family that are cheap or free! Find things to do with kids indoors and out here.
It’s Summertime! Many times we take off and go on a road trip or vacation, but when things are tight we have some Summer staycation ideas to keep our kids happy. Let me share a few of our favorites with you. Special thanks goes out to J.M. Smucker’s Company for sponsoring this post.
Go on a picnic! This is one outdoor activity for kids we do quite often. It is so easy to do, it is a great way to explore the area you live in.
It’s is also a great excuse to get out into the fresh air and talk while you’re enjoying your surroundings and one another.
- Here is a picnic we took just this week. I took a trip to Walmart, my “snackation destination”
- Grabbed enough Uncrustables and Fruit Fulls from Smuckers for our picnic.
- Decided we would just drive until we found a pretty spot to stop and we found one.
- I always keep a blanket in the back of my car for times like this…..and what a nice picnic it was!
Here are a few of our favorite summertime activities
- See a movie (matinee shows & discount theaters offer lower rates)
- Go roller skating – FREE program at many centers here
- Bowling is a fun activity to do together – FREE program at many centers here
- Water slide
- Turn on the sprinklers
- Play on a water table
- Throw water balloons
- Repurpose 1/2 gallon containers into boats (good for the bath & ponds)
- Fill a watering can & water plants in yard (repurpose juice containers for a can)
- Start a backyard garden
- Wash the car (FUN & Daddy loves this)
Take a walk/hiking activities:
~ Bring an egg carton & fill with treasures
- Have a picnic at your destination
~ Fill a spray bottle & spray things you like/water flowers along the way
- Take pictures with a play/throw away camera
~ Find bugs (bring note pad & draw pictures of them)
Beach List/ cheap activities for kids
- Play with buckets (build sand castles etc)
- Go boogie boarding
- Learn how to play smashball
- Frisbee fun
- Have a picnic (cooler)
- Build a track out of sand (bring toy cars)
- Make a castle out of sand for toys (little toys and cars work well)
- Enroll them in a Summer camp
Visit your community pool (contact local recreation center)
Make some Summer time snacks at home
Have a lemonade stand
If you love crafts you can make cinnamon ornaments with just 2 ingredients!
Have a movie night complete with a sundae bar! Ok, we do this beyond the Summertime because it’s so fun and inexpensive to do.
If you subscribe to a movie channel keep your eyes open throughout the week and record movies your whole family might enjoy. Renting something is a lot cheaper than going to the movies and much more comfy enjoying it at home too.
- Set up a sundae bar after dinner complete with ice cream, sprinkles, and lots of Smuckers® sundae toppings.
- Oh yes the kids will love this idea (parents too).
Color a picture
Write a card to an out of state relative (take a trip to the post office to send it)
Build a little free library & fill it with goodies
Visit your local library (usually have activities during the summer/story time)
Paint a picture
Visit a local fair (usually several in the summer time)
Take a drive (somewhere new)
Window shop at your local mall
Take the train or metrolink (get off for lunch & come back)
Read a book
Put on the radio and dance
Ride your bike
Feed ducks at your local lake or pond
Spend the afternoon at the park! Of course, remember to bring snacks and a lunch with you. It’s a bummer if you go empty handed and are having a great time, it’s best to throw a few things in a bag so you’re covered.
- The park is a great place to go and I am sure there are many in your area. Go online and find somewhere NEW. That is always fun!
Whatever you do and wherever you go make your Summertime something memorable….it’s not always about the destination, but rather the memories you make on your way to your end point!