These sundae cupcakes are the perfect birthday party dessert. Make a sundae bowl sundae bar with these edible cupcake bowls filled with ice cream!
Ok so who doesn’t like cupcakes…and sundaes??!! Well I thought there would be a good way to combine the two and make a fun sundae bar with waffle bowls! These ice cream sundae cupcakes bowls turned out so well. (affiliate links present, originally published 2/17)
They are really easy to make, and you can just bake a few or a whole bunch if you’re getting ready for a birthday party. Aren’t these fun??!! The whole thing is edible so there is no waste and look so much cuter than just making cupcakes with wrappers! We were making a sundae bar at home for just the 5 of us. I didn’t want to make the whole box of cake mix.
Cupcake Sundae Bowls
There isn’t anything different as far as baking cupcake batter, unless you want to follow one of our box cake mix hacks. I always use boxed in this case because it just lends to a quick prep but homemade would work just as well. Once you have that prepared think about these waffle bowl ice cream cones as your bowl or muffin paper liners baking cups.
I use a cookie sheet so they all sit flat and won’t topple over in the baking process. You don’t want to fill these too full because of course just like muffin baking they are going to rise twice as high. Halfway full is perfect. From there you could sprinkle on edible decorations to the top if you wanted.
Remember we are going to dress it up at the end though with no churn chocolate ice cream, whipped cream, hot chocolate and all the things though. NO need for any throw away cupcake liners for this, it’s all edible!
You’ll want a large bowl to mix your batter together. An ice cream scoop is handy to have too. Trick to getting a really moist cake (no matter how you bake it) is to not dry it out. Best way I have found to ensure that is stays tender is to use your finger instead of a toothpick.
As soon as you gently touch the center and it springs back you should immediately take it out of the heat. Leave it on a cooling rack for a few minutes before removing it out of your muffin tin or baking sheet. If you leave it in or on the pan it will continue baking and dry out more than you’d want.
- 1 box of cake mix (whichever flavor you like)
- plus ingredients needed to make cupcakes
- Use our recipe above for 6 cupcakes (or make the whole box as directed if you want to make 24)
- Waffle bowls (small version)
- Sprinkles and a cherry for each one
- Cookie sheet or muffin tin
Cupcakes topped with ice cream of course is a must, you could add chocolate ganache or caramel topping too if you wanted. I mean the possibilities are endless once these are done. They make a great ice cream bar idea because there is no waste and you can even pick it up for a yummy bite.
Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
If you only have a few people and you don’t want the rest to go to waste it is best to line a 12-cup muffin cup pan and bake the remaining this way. This is how long to bake mini muffins too if you like a smaller size instead.
- Make cake mix as directed on the back of the box you’ve chosen.
- or bake batter from homemade like our Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes recipe
- Put a piece of parchment paper on your cookie sheet or put waffle bowls in muffin tin holes spreading them out so edges don’t touch.
- A large muffin tin is best to make sure they stay in holes.
- Put amount of waffle bowls you want on your sheet or muffin pan. Do NOT use any that are cracked as batter will leak out.
- Pour about 1/3 c. of cake mix batter into each waffle bowl. Put pan with filled bowls into preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes
- Test cupcake with finger on the top of the cupcake, when it springs back it is done, just as though you were baking cupcakes
Allow light and fluffy cake in cones to cool completely, this will take at least 20 minutes so set up your ice cream bar at this point. You can warm hot fudge in a microwave safe bowl if you want that on top, yum. Add the vanilla ice cream, vanilla buttercream frosting or powdered sugar and sprinkles and serve your unique cupcake recipe to friends!
Ice Cream Sundae Cupcakes
If you love this fun idea check out how to make ladybug cupcakes too, those are always a hit at parties!
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
- 1 box cake mix plus ingredients needed to make batter, refer to back of box
- 12 waffle bowls
- 1 container ice cream
- Mix together cake mix ingredients until smooth. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour cake batter into waffle bowls 1/2 full. Put on baking sheet and bake for about 12 minutes until middle springs back when touched gently.
- Allow to cool completely, then top with ice cream.