Here’s a great crockpot ham and potato soup recipe that you’ll love! Great leftover ham recipe that cooks by itself in your slow cooker or on the stovetop. It’s fabulous!
There’s nothing better than a warm soup, and one cooked on the stove or in my crockpot!! This is a fabulous ham and potato soup recipe that you can make using your leftover ham from Easter, or a good ol’ ham steak! We make soup and chili in the slow cooker every month (even during the Summertime). Check out one of our favorite crockpot recipes here, lemme know what you think. 😉 (originally published 5/16)
- I look for great leftover ham recipes each year to mix it up after the holidays.
Of course ham sandwiches are great but after a few of them it’s time to move on!
Especially on a chilly day a great slow cooker soup recipe is just what I want on the menu for dinner. Just pair it with some bread and you have yourself a hearty meal.
Here is how you make this easy stovetop or crockpot ham and potato soup.
Whether you have leftover ham or you are in the mood for a great crockpot soup this recipe is easy.
Just dice your ham pieces and put it on low so they can heat up a bit and get the juices and flavor flowing.
- While those are going you will want to chop all of your veggies.
Now add or omit veggies as you wish. The only thing that is super necessary are the potatoes and ham of course!
Dice the potatoes small if you want a really creamy soup, or a bit larger if you want it chunky….both are good. Veggies should all be a similar size so they cook evenly (except onions and garlic which should be pretty small).
Start your crockpot on low and cook as directed on stovetop, then transfer to slow cooker and allow to cook for an hour or longer if you wish.
Ham and potato soup
- Frozen hashbrowns
- Chicken broth
- Evaporated milk
- Cream cheese
- Leftover ham or ham steak diced
I have made this with diced potatoes as well which is good but using thawed frozen hash browns lends a creaminess to the soup.
You can also put some olive oil and your diced ham in a pan on low and let it warm up and release the ham flavors prior to adding it into your crockpot if you’d like.
Looking for other crockpot recipes?
Ham and potato soup
- 30 oz frozen hashbrowns thawed
- 5 oz evaporated milk 5 oz
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 1/2 c ham steak cubed, or leftover ham
- 2 carrots diced, smaller the more tender they will be
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tbsp garlic minced out of a jar is what I use
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp chili powder optional for a bit of heat
- 4 oz cream cheese
- In your slow cooker combine your thawed hash browns, broth, diced vegetables and spices. Stir to combine.
- Cook on low for about 6 hours or until your vegetables are your desired tenderness.
- Remove lid at this time, take some broth out and put it into a bowl with your room temperature cream cheese and whisk together until it is somewhat smooth, dump back into your crockpot and stir in slowly.
- Add in your diced ham and evaporated milk and stir until combined.
- Put lid back on and cook for an additional 20 minutes.
- Serve topped with cheese and green onions if desired.
For more easy recipes and crafts please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook, sign up for my newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest!