There’s nothing better than a warm soup, and one cooked in my crockpot is even better!! This is a fabulous ham and potato soup recipe that you can make using your leftover ham from Easter, or a good ol’ ham steak! We make soup and chili in the slow cooker every month (even during the Summertime). Check out one of our favorite crockpot recipes here, lemme know what you think. 😉
I look for great leftover ham recipes each year to mix it up after the holidays. Of course ham sandwiches are great but after a few of them it’s time to move on! Especially on a chilly day a great slow cooker soup recipe is just what I want on the menu for dinner. Just pair it with some bread and you have yourself a hearty meal. Here is how you make this easy crockpot ham and potato soup.
Whether you have leftover ham or you are in the mood for a great crockpot soup this recipe is easy. Just dice your ham pieces and put it on low so they can heat up a bit and get the juices and flavor flowing. While those are going you will want to chop all of your veggies. Now add or omit veggies as you wish, the only thing that is super necessary are the potatoes and ham of course!
Dice the potatoes small if you want a really creamy soup, or a bit larger if you want it chunky….both are good. Veggies should all be a similar size so they cook evenly (except onions and garlic which should be pretty small). Start your crockpot on low and cook as directed on stovetop, then transfer to slow cooker and allow to cook for an hour or longer if you wish.
Ham and potato soup
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 c. ham or chicken broth
- 1 ham steak, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1-1.5 lbs red potatoes, diced (remove some or all skin)
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1 tbsp. garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp. salt, pepper, rosemary
- * we like a shake of garlic salt too
- In a pan add the butter and let it start melting. Put diced ham in and cook until lightly browned leaving ham juices in pan. Dice your veggies, mix in the seasonings, add to your pan with ham and cook for about 8 minutes or until veggies are tender. Mix in flour until well mixed , about 2 minutes. Slowly add in broth until well combined, then add milk and diced potatoes and wait until it boils. Can continue to simmer over stove for about 15 min. or until potatoes are soft or transfer to slow cooker and cook on low for about 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. Serve or allow to slowly cook longer to bring out more flavor.
We love slow cooker soup recipes, do you have a favorite??
For more easy recipes and crafts please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook, sign up for my newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest!