Crockpot easy Italian wedding soup recipe your whole family will love. Just costs about $10 to make in a slow cooker. Throw it all into your pot and it cooks all day!
You know I’m all about easy recipes, especially those that cook all by themselves and are inexpensive to make! If you’re up for an amazing dinner idea you’ve got to try this easy Italian Wedding Soup recipe. It cooks in your crockpot and costs less than $10, definitely one of our very favorite crockpot recipes ever! This is a sponsored post by Barilla® and Johnsonville®. (originally published 10/16, affiliate links present)
Slow Cooker Italian Wedding Soup
This is a healthy option for dinnertime, just pair it with some dinner rolls and you’re ready to serve it up.
Let’s talk a little bit about slow cooking shall we?? First off I have a few different varieties and I love them all. Each one has an occasion to be used like….
- This is my favorite 6 quart programmable one with a locking lid so it’s great for bringing to a potluck too.
- If you just want to serve a few appetizers you should get this one that sit side by side one another.
- I prefer not to use liners, but rather just spray olive oil inside before adding my food for easier cleanups.
Let me give you a peek of my pretty thang I bought recently. It goes with my kitchen so I can just leave it out on the countertop all the time. 😉
Especially when the weather cools down I love crockpot soup recipes to eat dinner.I also call it a real win because everyone in my family gobbles it up AND it only costs about $10 for the entire recipe!
Let me show you how easy this crockpot Italian Wedding Soup is to make.
These are a few of the basic ingredients you will need, plus some chicken stock and you’re set…easy, right??!! I have used a few different types of Barilla pasta including mini Penne pasta and this fun star-shaped Pastina, either one works fantastic, it just depends on my mood that day. 😉
You’ll need an onion and carrots from the produce aisle of Kroger, and if you want to add some greenery pick up a small bunch of escarole (looks like lettuce) to add at the end as well.
Italian Sausage is incredible for this soup because it’s packed with flavor which amplifies the yumminess of this soup.
Easy Italian Wedding Soup
- Chicken broth
- Pastina or orzo pasta
- Bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese
First we’re going to prep everything that will then go into our slow cooker. Cut your carrots, dice your onion, and take the casing off of all 6 of your Johnsonville sausages.
I then make meatballs just like I would make my meatloaf. Except I shape them into small spoon-sized bites. Cook them either on a baking sheet or on the stovetop.
It’s a great flavor “swap” from using ground beef because it adds an incredible flavor that permeates throughout this easy Italian wedding soup recipe.
Once all that is done you’re going to add it all (excluding your Barilla pasta and escarole) into your slow cooker with your chicken broth.
Then about 20 minutes before you’re ready to serve your Italian Wedding Soup add your choice of noodles, and if you choose to add escarole add it now too.
You want to add it right before it’s being served to maintain the great al dente taste Barilla offers…it makes this totally incredible.
- You can even ask my kids, it’s their favorite! After all, it’s Italy’s #1 choice of pasta so it’s perfect for this Italian soup. 😉
Crockpot Italian wedding soup
- First take the casing off your sausages, or use half and half beef and pork ground sausage instead.
- In a large bowl combine this, your egg, bread crumbs, parmesan, onion powder and any other seasonings you’d like.
- Add the meatballs to a baking sheet at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes. You can also cook them on the stovetop over medium high heat with a bit of olive oil.
- Once meatballs are cooked, add them to your slow cooker.
- Add all other ingredients other than escarole and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- 15 minutes before serving, submerge greens into liquid so they soften.
- Serve this with our garlic pull apart bread and enjoy.
I am sure you could cook this on the stovetop too in a large pot too. Start with browning and cooking meatballs, then add ingredients. Reduce heat to low and simmer until noodles and veggies are softened.
If you don’t have all day you can make our Instant Pot Italian wedding soup too. Either way you make it is delicious!!
- Chicken soup in the crockpot is perfect even when you’re not sick
- Easy crockpot French onion soup gets 10 thumbs up here
- Our Instant Pot lasagna soup is always a hit
Here’s the printable recipe and a video showing you how to make Crockpot Italian wedding soup. I included the nutritional information below too including calories and saturated fat content. It is a healthy soup we all enjoy.
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Easy Italian wedding soup recipe
- First add chicken broth to your slow cooker.
- Chop your carrots into similarly sized pieces and dice onion, add to crockpot.
- Remove casing from sausages. Add sausage meat, egg, garlic, parmesan (optional), and bread crumbs into a bowl and mix well.
- Create small meatballs that are about teaspoon sized and cook on a cookie sheet or put 1 meatball into each hole of your mini muffin pan (I do it this way) in the oven for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Once cooked add to crockpot and cook for approx 6-8 hrs. on low.
- About 15-20 min. before serving add pasta and chop about 10 pieces of escarole (I just use dark ends) into strips and add that too. Serve!
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉