This post is sponsored by Yoplait®, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Looking for indoor winter activities for kids as well as some outdoor fun they will love? Here’s a list of fun so all of you can spend some time together.
It’s winter time!! What does that mean…well it depends on where you live I suppose, but at the end of the day it means lots of fun activities for kids are here! If you live in an area where it snows (like we do) there are a ton of winter activities for kids to do right outside your front door. If you’re more of an indoor person there are lots of fun indoor winter activities and crafts to do with kids inside too. Let us share with you a few fun winter activities that have kept us busy this season so your family can participate as well.
I will start by saying we’ve lived in 2 very different areas so we know the difference between fun winter activities for kids in sunny climates, as well as areas where it snows.
For the past 18 years our family resided in Southern California where it never snowed, and typically we wore flip flops and short sleeve shirts on Christmas Day. Fast forward to this year where we moved to Idaho where as you can see below there is a fair amount of snow which just adds to the winter fun for all of us.
With that said we wanted to put all the fun winter activities for kids we’ve enjoyed in both climates together in one list and share them all with you! 😉
Even if you live in sunny areas you can usually find areas that offer snow activities for families. This may entail a short road trip to get there but include that as part of your fun family day together, we do! The journey is part of your winter activity as you drive through different cities to get to the ski or sledding area you have in sight. Pointing out the animals, talking about what it might be like to live in a smaller more rural area sparks conversations that will add to the overall adventure for the day.
Let’s begin with some fun winter outdoor activities your kids will love and YOU can participate with them too!
- Go tubing – We have 2 areas within 1 hour of our house now, but even in SoCal there were a few areas where you just pay for the day, they give you the tubes to use (no need to haul your own), and it’s great fun for kids and adults too!
- Ski – Take the opportunity to learn how if you’ve never skied before…you could even take lessons WITH your kids! Skiing is a great way to spend the entire day together.
- Build a snowman – If you live in an area where you can step right into your backyard and build one….bonus! Take it a step further and make a contest of who can build the funniest looking snowman, or who can build one the fastest. If you live in a sunny area, take a trip up to the mountains and make a day of it…remember to take lots of pictures.
- Go snowshoeing – Not only might this be a new activity you could enjoy together, but it’s great exercise too! (we don’t need to tell the kids that)
- Go to a game – Buy tickets to see a sport played live, there’s nothing like it, far better than watching it on television.
- Visit a theme park – Everyone thinks of going to theme parks during the summertime but they transform into a winter wonderland no matter where you live and look completely different during the winter months!
- Go camping – If you’ve never been camping with kids, get out there and do it! Whether you head out with a tent or in a RV it will be something new to experience together that you will not regret! There are lots of places to camp for free and during the winter months you are likely to get some amazing spots since most people correlate camping with the summertime.
- Take a road trip – Several of the winter activities mentioned above may require a bit of driving to get there. This is a great time to explore new areas/cities with your kids! Take the opportunity to visit a town you’ve never been before! Stop into a small cafe on your way to have lunch together, play road trip games on your way, and always carry lots of snacks to enjoy along the way, we love Go-GURT JOLLY RANCHER flavors (and yes, I love both the Watermelon and Green Apple varieties too, they add a sweet and tangy mix to make snack time delicious).
- Available nationwide in major grocery retailers now! Check out Yoplait.com to find them near you.
Now if you’re looking for indoor winter activities for kids we have a BUNCH of those too!
- Play games – If you think your kids won’t be interested in playing games on a chilly day think twice, they’ll love it if you play with them! We started putting together some cool jigsaw puzzles when we moved and it has become a fun activity for all of us. We leave it on the coffee table at all times and anyone can add to it when they feel like it, or we do it together on rainy days.
- Make a craft – There are tons of winter craft ideas out there but stick to something your children will love. If you’re looking for easy winter crafts for preschoolers you could try any of these kid friendly playdough recipes for an entire afternoon full of fun! I will be honest, my youngest child is 10 and she still enjoys this type of rainy day activity. Of course have snacks like Go-GURT JOLLY RANCHER flavors on hand for everyone to enjoy while they’re crafting.
- Here are a few handprint art ideas that are great for any age as well.
- Indoor snowball activities – Sounds impossible I know but if you get creative you can have an indoor snowball fight! There are a few ways to do this and other “snow fun” indoors, give ’em a try!
- Bake – If your children are a bit older, bake something together teaching them how to do it along the way. If they’re younger and you prefer a no bake treat there are tons of options out there like our microwave peppermint fudge recipe and fun desserts for one like this chocolate chip cookie in a mug everyone enjoys.
- Enjoy free printouts – We love sharing free word searches, bingo games and other activities for kids here on The Typical Mom and below is a great winter word search you can print out for everyone toenjoy.
- To round out our list of fun winter activities for kids we have another HUGE list of over 100 cheap Indoor Activities for kids for you to choose from so you won’t scratch your head again when they say “what are we going to do today?”
No matter what the activity, indoors or out, kid-friendly snacks are a must for us! Our go to are the new flavors from Go-GURT…have you tried them yet??!!
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉