Here are 1001+ places you can camp for free within the United States! Whether you’re in a tent or an RV there are tons of campgrounds who offer free camping and RV spots! Here are some great resources that will save you a lot of money when you’re planning your camping trip.
Here are 101+ places you can camp for free or close to free for some of them!! We have taken many road trips and like to camp with our children to get away from it all and leave our technology behind (great way to get closer as a family and explore)! There is a lot of varying when it comes to camping. Whether you’re looking to really rough it or looking for an RV spot that provides a bit more amenities there is something for everyone and you can find free camping almost everywhere. We hope you find this resource helpful and for more road trip and camping information please check out our road trip blog too! (originally published 2/15)
Camping in a tent or an RV is also a great way to save money as hotels can get to be quite expensive. Finding free campsites to camp in, and cheap ones beyond that is great so you can do more and spend less. You should always look for great deals on camping equipment too when you’re preparing and use our tips on packing for a road trip if you’re traveling for a long distance (and especially with kids)!
If you haven’t camped with your kids yet we explain why they have been some of our best family vacations and how it’s connected us. If you’re new to camping with kids these places you can camp for free are perfect because if you only last one night and booked a few you aren’t out a lot of money.
Some kids (like mine) take to it and beg to go back, others have to try it out a few times to get it in their blood but overall it’s usually a win with kids.
Here are some places to camp for free and resources I found that are helpful!
1001+ Places you can camp for free
- Freecampsites.net is a great resource when you are looking for campgrounds that are free to use or very cheap if there is a fee. In many places, like Ca., you can easily camp all year long so having something like this on hand is great when exploring new places. Just enter the site, click on the state you are visiting, and they will give you a list of inexpensive and places you can camp for free. Some are only for RVs, tents, or both.
- This site breaks where the free campgrounds are by state and shows you what they have found. Enjoy my friends & follow me on Pinterest for more helpful hints on living within a budget! 😉
- AllStays.com lists tons of places you can camp for free or offer a discounted rate that is about as cheap such as KOA sites.
- Another great site that has TONS of places you can camp for free across the U.S. and you can camp an unlimited number of times with 1 small yearly fee called Thousand Trails, you can read more about their program here. We are a part of their Southwest region and there are more sites than we could visit in a year, great resource for avid campers in tents and RVs.
- Campendium offers free campgrounds state by state so you can search for the area you want to visit.
- You can find inexpensive campsites on gocampingamerica site too.
- Good ol’ KOA Campgrounds offer very reasonable rates for camping and even offers a rewards program if you go often.
- Another way you can travel and camp for free is to earn points just by shopping online, which translates to free gift cards, which pays for your gas and camp fees along the way. We have done this several times and how we travel for free year after year to some of our favorite spots!!
- Here is a site for free RV camping if you have access to one of those or maybe want to rent one and take a really long trip together but want to save money on the campsites you stay in along the way, along with a list of easy RV meals that will make your trip great.
Once you’ve found free places to camp go a step further and save money this way!
- Then when you’ve found the campsite of your choice you can find trails to hike here! There are tens of thousands of great trails out there and that is what camping is all about…exploring….and as always, it’s free! We share our tips on hiking with kids here to help you out and make it fun for them (and you). 😉
- Grab free admission to National Parks here if you have a child in school.
- Download this free printable things to pack for camping checklist so you don’t forget anything…which will cost you money when you get there (and aggravation).
Looking for more road trip and camping resources and our favorite place to visit?
- Things to pack for camping printable
- Easy camping recipes and free meal planning printable
- Discount camping gear
- Inexpensive camping, cabins, and RV spots at Zion Ponderosa (our favorite spot)
- Best vacation spots for kids
- Road trip games for kids
For more easy recipes, tips and crafts please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉