Instant Pot chicken vegetable soup recipe that is healthy and delicious. Packed with potatoes, carrots, celery, peas and more. Hearty meal.
This is a hearty and healthy one pot meal you’ll love. Instant Pot chicken vegetable soup will definitely be added to your rotation because adults and kids love it. In under 20 minutes you too can have this quick Instant Pot recipe ready to enjoy at dinnertime. (affiliate links present)
Ninja Foodi Chicken Soup
Yes you can make this in a Crockpot Express, Mealthy or your multi function Ninja Foodi too. They all have the high pressure function so it really doesn’t matter which direction you go.
Make it as is in the recipe card below or omit the meat and you have yourself a delicious pressure cooker vegetarian soup too. We have a lot of Instant Pot soup recipes here on our site but this is our latest creation that came out so well we had to share it with y’all.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! Now let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
- This is a great InstaPot cookbook and a set of wooden utensils are great to grab too.
- I HIGHLY recommend you buy this non stick pot.
- You should still deglaze pressure cooker after sautéing but it won’t have as many issues with this better liner.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have (a 6 quart) and use for all recipe creations.
Chicken Vegetable Soup Instant Pot
I used breasts this time but chicken thighs could work just as well. Heck, if you are looking for a great leftover chicken breast recipe you could skip the first sautéing step entirely and throw that in instead. For the veggies I used frozen vegetables instead of fresh, there are a few reasons for that.
- Under pressure, smaller veggies that are frozen hold up better and don’t break down as easily.
- This means you’ll add great texture to the dish instead of super soft (almost mushy) pieces.
- You can find frozen year round so you can make this the same in February vs. Summer when everything is fresh and cheap.
I have used canned mixed vegetables before in my Instant Pot chicken pot pie soup but I set that for less cook time. If that is all you have then I would set to 6 vs. 10 minutes.
Instant Pot Chicken Vegetable Soup with Potatoes
I like to cut my breasts up into bite size pieces as you see here. Most of the easy Instant Pot chicken recipes are like this too. It allows the meat to get done at the same time as the other ingredients more easily. If you left them whole you’d need to cut the carrots and celery into really large chunks or they would disintegrate.
If yours is not defrosted I would follow the timing on our Instant Pot chicken noodle soup with frozen chicken recipe. Cut your vegetables much larger if you do so they don’t fall apart though.
Speaking of that you should keep size in mind. The larger you cut veggies the more texture they will keep in the high heat cooking process. Too small and they’ll just be mush. You could add other things like fresh green beans cut in half too.
Firmer the better for this. Broccoli would be a no no since it only takes 1 minute to cook and this is closer to 15 with natural release.
Vegetable Chicken Soup
Talk about a quick healthy meal right? Any sort of potato will work, I just use what I have on hand. There are definite differences though. Red potatoes will keep their shape much better and will remain firmer than others. Yellow and russet will fall apart more easily so it is really what you prefer.
- Boneless skinless chicken cut into smaller chunks
- without meat follow Instant Pot vegetarian soup
- if using small whole pieces increase time to 12 minutes with 10 min. natural release.
- remove the chicken when done, shred the chicken and add back into the pot.
- leave vegetables large when cutting for this
- Skinned and cubed potatoes
- Carrot dials or chunks
- Sliced celery pieces
- Olive oil to saute meat
- Can of diced tomatoes
- Corn and peas are added frozen so they don’t fall apart
- Chicken broth
Then comes the seasonings. Suggested choices are below, or you could just add the poultry and Italian seasoning to make things easier.
Full printable recipe card is below with nutritional information but here is a quick step by step:
Healthy Chicken Vegetable Soup Instant Pot
- First off set pot to saute and add oil. Once hot add chicken and diced onions. Cook only until outsides of meat is no longer pink. Then turn pot off.
- Add all your other ingredients and stir together. Close lid and seal your steam valve.
- Cook under high pressure cook for 10 minutes with a 5 minute natural release. Then quick release the remaining pressure when done with this process you’re ready to enjoy now.
- Serve with a sprinkle of salt and pepper with shredded parmesan cheese on top if desired. This is a great add on.
If you’d rather make this with ground beef you should try our Instant Pot vegetable beef soup recipe instead. Both are gluten free dairy free quick and easy meals we love. We have many other leftover chicken Instant Pot recipes here.
We have made a slow cooker vegetable beef soup version of this as well. I didn’t add chicken to that but you could just as we did here at the beginning. If you want to add noodles I would follow our Instant Pot chicken noodle soup recipe but add these veggies suggested here, diced small.
Almost all Instant Pot chicken soup recipes are done in less than 30 minutes, including this one. Easy prep and something that is great to serve especially when it is rainy or snowing outside. My kids love it as much as the two of us do, no “ewwwws” at dinnertime when this is served up.
How to save leftover soup
Do not throw it away, that is number one on my list. It will save quite well so you can enjoy it for lunch the next day. Put it into a container once it is room temperature. Seal it closed and store in the fridge. To reheat transfer to a microwave save bowl and heat for 1 1/2 minutes stirring every 30 seconds.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Instant Pot Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breasts boneless skinless, cut into bite size chunks
- 1 onion diced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 2 carrots peeled, cut into small dials or small chunks
- 1 potato peeled sliced into 1/2" pieces
- 1 can diced tomatoes 14.5 oz, not drained
- 1 c corn frozen
- 1 c peas frozen
- 6 c chicken broth
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Set pot to saute and add oil, once hot add onions and chicken. Cook only until outsides of meat pieces are no longer pink. Turn pot off.
- Add all other ingredients and stir together. Close lid and seal steam valve.
- Cook under high pressure for 10 minutes with a 5 minute natural release. Then let remaining steam out.
- Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on top if desired.