Simple chocolate chip cookie ingredients you can add nuts to or make into a sandwich. With homemade buttercream frosting inside and sprinkles, they’re the best holiday dessert.
This simple and easy chocolate chip cookies recipe can be thrown together in no time. Add nuts or just load them up with semi sweet chips. Moist and delicious with every bite. Just one quick easy dessert recipe on our site. (affiliate links present, originally published 10/21)
Hershey Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
You can use any brand you like, there are quite a few out there. Nestle Tollhouse and Ghirardelli are popular and every grocery store tends to have their own brand. The latter is usually the cheapest unless there is a sale.
When that happens, usually around the holidays, I bulk up. Semi sweet are my favorites and I like the mini versions the best. You get more chocolate throughout your baked goods this way I feel. The expiration is quite long too so even if I buy a dozen bags they have never expired the way we bake at home.
Chocolate Cookies with Peanut Butter Chips
You can add any type of chips you want to these or our chewy double chocolate chip cookies recipe. There are so many different types out there, you could even mix and match them like this!
- Milk chocolate and peanut butter chips
- Peppermint chips (really crushed candy canes) and milk chocolate chips are great during the holidays
- Butterscotch chips and white chips are delicious together
As for mixing you can do it three different ways. Good old fashioned elbow grease works just fine. I got a Kitchen Aid stand mixer years ago and that is incredible. BUT I had a cheap hand mixer for years and that worked just as well as the more expensive version.
No matter how you do it you always want to mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately. AND always fold in your add ins at the very end so they don’t break apart.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Ingredients
This is what you need for the basic cookie batter, then comes how long to bake cookies. 350 is ideal if you want chewy which is what we go for.
- All purpose flour
- Baking soda and salt
- Room temperature butter, softened
- White sugar
- Brown sugar
- Eggs and vanilla extract
- Baking sheet with parchment paper and measuring cups
Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookies
This is another option. You could try this with half of your batter to see what you think first before going all out. These are kinda’ nice during the holidays when you have long days full of family and sometimes need a pick me up. The only difference is that you’d add 1 Tbsp of espresso powder into the mix for a full recipe, half that for 1/2 of it.
Beyond that you decide what to add into the mix. Crushed walnuts are common beyond your chips of choice.
Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies
#1 most important thing to remember is to NOT bake them too long! Remember that they will continue to stiffen up as they sit and cool on the pan. 8-10 for a Tablespoon of dough is plenty of time, no more.
Remove when edges are browned and middle is no longer wet looking immediately. Then allow to cool and enjoy.
1. Once the dough is mixed, freezing cookie dough is easy. Just shape it into a large ball or divide it into smaller portions. You can also portion the dough into individual cookie-sized balls if you prefer.
2. Take the dough ball(s) and wrap them tightly in plastic wrap, ensuring they are well sealed. This will prevent air from reaching the dough and keep it fresh.
3. If you are making multiple batches or planning to store the dough for a while, it’s a good idea to label the wrapped dough with the date and any necessary instructions.
4. Place the wrapped dough in the freezer. It is recommended to store cookie dough in the freezer rather than the refrigerator, as it will last longer and maintain better texture.
5. Thaw dough for a few hours in the refrigerator before baking.
We use this kitchen hack every single time we bake. From making oatmeal, to these, or the best ever peanut butter cookies. It makes them taste like they’re from a bakery.
I cannot stress the baking time enough, that is how you make or break a moist cookie vs. being just okay. Another aspect that helps is butter that is softened to room temperature, not melted butter though. Some swear by shortening instead but I kinda’ feel that is icky so I’d rather use a stick, not margarine either.
The molasses in the brown sugar does help to keep them nice and soft in texture as well.
How to make chocolate chip cookies from scratch
If you want to make it “super cute” you can put two together and sandwich them together too! Adding colorful sprinkles just jazz it up even more and are always a huge hit. If you make them this way I would use the smallest cookie scoop because essentially each serving will be double.
- First off you want to preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Lay down parchment paper on baking sheets is best, or spray lightly with non stick spray.
- In a large bowl add dry ingredients and mix. Using another with an electric or hand mixer beat butter and sugars until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla, beat until combined.
- Slowly incorporate dry ingredients, and fold in chocolate chips at the very end.
- Use small cookie scoop to scoop up dough into balls rolled with your hands, 1 tsp. balls.
- Place on prepared baking sheet with space between them.
- Bake for 8 minutes until edges are lightly golden browned and very middle is no longer wet but no longer. May take up to 10 depending on their size.
Remove cookie sheet and set on cooling rack to cool completely. Remove cookies when have cooled and stiffened up but still stay super moist and soft. If you want to make them sandwich cookies then you’ll make buttercream and smoosh them together.
Yes you could just use a tub of frosting instead if you want to save some time or allow little hands to do it themselves. I like to give little ones a plastic spoon and have them smear it on with the back of the spoon. It is easier to handle and maneuver than a knife.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwich
If you want to make a yummy homemade buttercream frosting to pipe into the middle of two cookies then combine;
- 1.5 c. icing sugar
- 1/2 c. softened butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2-3 tsp. milk, enough to thin it out to your liking
Cream butter and icing sugar until creamy. Then add vanilla and 1 tsp of milk at a time until it is the consistency you want. Thicker is better so it doesn’t drip out. If you want to make these festive Christmas sandwich cookies you could use red and green sprinkles.
- Pour your colors of choice into a shallow dish or bowl and roll. Hold the middle of the sandwich cookie, press down gently so the frosting is at the edge. Dab or roll so they stick on the edges and make them pretty.
- OR you could dip the edge with melted chocolate like we did with our homemade shortbread cookies.
This will take about 30 minutes to finish. I do not find a need to chill the dough before baking but if you want them to keep shape a bit better you can. Use the same dough to cook faster as air fryer cookies too sometime.
How to store leftover cookies
Air is the enemy, remember that. I like using pint sized freezer bags instead of plastic containers for this reason. You can easily suck the air from the inside so they don’t dry out at all this way. If you think you won’t finish them the next day either stick 1/2 slice of bread into the bag so they stay moist longer.
Believe me, it works y’all. It is a bit easier to save if you don’t stuff them either. Instead just make sandwiches one at a time to enjoy and save the frosting for the leftovers on the side. Then spoon in between the next day so they are fresh.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Ingredients
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lay down parchment paper on baking sheets.
- In a bowl add dry ingredients and mix. In another use an electric or hand mixer to beat butter until creamy. Then add sugars and beat again until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat until combined.
- Slowly incorporate dry ingredients, then fold in chocolate chips at the very end.
- Use small cookie scoop to scoop up dough and roll into 1 tsp. balls. Place on baking sheet with space between them.
- Bake for 8 – 10 minutes until edges are lightly browned and very middle is no longer wet but no longer.
- Remove cookie sheet and set on cooling rack. Remove cookies when they are cooled to stiffen up but still stay super moist and soft.