This easy Instant Pot vegetable beef soup is a great recipe that’s healthy! It costs less than $20 for the whole meal which feeds all five of us. Done in just 20 minutes, it’s an easy electric pressure cooker dinner served as is or with side of bread.
Oh yes the Instant Pot is my newest obsession, and it has made it much easier for me to make healthy family dinners on a regular basis. I have many Instant Pot recipes on my blog and continue to add more and more each time I cook a meal for my family, but this Instant Pot vegetable beef soup was a real hit tonight! Served with a side of garlic rolls and we were set. Super hearty soup you could make with ground beef like I did here, or make a vegetarian soup too. Here’s the recipe. (affiliate links present, originally published 1/17)
Made with fresh or frozen veggies, you can really add what you like and omit the rest.
I used what looked fresh and wasn’t expensive at the store. Literally the entire meal including the garlic rolls was about $20. It fed all 5 of us with lunch for 2 left over for the next day, I call that a major win!
I will say it took a while to get our kids to eat and really love vegetables but now they’d prefer them over a steak any day. This easy Instant Pot recipe is great for lunch, dinner, or even a potluck. If you don’t have this amazing appliance yet you can find the Instant Pot I use here. You won’t regret buying it I promise!
This pressure cooker vegetable soup is really easy to throw together, you just:
- Chop all your veggies
- Put your Instant Pot on saute
- Cook your ground beef
- Add your onions and garlic until the meat is cooked
- Then add your veggies
- A can of diced tomatoes
- You choice of broth
- Push the soup button
- If you like your veggies really soft in your vegetable soup then leave it as is which will cook for 30 minutes.
- 30 min. is how my kids like it, though I prefer a bit more al dente and 20 minutes is perfect for me.
- You can adjust the soup time setting by just pressing soup when everything is in and then press the – sign until you get to the time you want.
- Always make sure to release the pressure / steam valve at the top before opening the lid and allow all the steam to emerge before lifting the lid.
This is what you’ll need to make this easy Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
- Diced tomatoes – I like this can of petite diced
- Chicken or beef broth – really your preference, if making pressure cooker vegetarian soup then use vegetable broth
- Ground beef – can leave out if you want Instant Pot vegetarian soup
- Green beans
You’ll love our Instant Pot minestrone soup too!
- Omit the ground beef
- Substitute the beef/chicken broth for vegetable broth
- Follow minestrone directions above
This Instant Pot vegetable beef soup is really delicious, and healthy too! Easily made vegetarian if you wish. We’ve added some shaved parmesan cheese to the top once served. This is a really a good addition to the meal.
- Serve with garlic bread or a loaf of our beer bread and it’s the perfect meal!
Looking for more Instant Pot soups?
- Instant Pot chicken noodle soup
- Pressure cooker French onion soup
- Instant Pot lasagna soup
- Instant Pot barley soup
Note: I used all fresh vegetables. For the best result I would use fresh vs. frozen vegetables. BUT if that is all you have by all means use those. The pressure cooking time will not change.
15 minutes on high pressure will soften any and all vegetables. Do not add veggies that will become mush though, like broccoli. Potatoes, carrots, and fresh green beans are your best options as they are firmer.
- You could opt to add stew meat instead of ground beef but I would recommend dicing the pieces up rather small. That way it will become tender when cooking at the bottom of the pot. Refer to our pressure cooker beef pot pie soup to make a stew meat version of this.
If you’d like softer vegetables allow pot to natural release for 3 minutes vs. a quick release noted. Then remove the lid and serve immediately for best results. We have a crockpot vegetable beef soup version here too.
- You’ll find more pressure cooker vegetable soup recipes here. As well as a large roundup of healthy electric pressure cooker recipes to enjoy. You just can’t go wrong with any and all of these for your family meal.
If you wanted to start with dry beans and add those. You don’t have to soak them first. Just use our reference of Instant Pot bean cook times and make those first. Then add them in after you’ve drained them and they’re soft with everything else.
Print recipe here:
Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
- 2 cans petite diced tomatoes
- 32-48 oz chicken broth
- 1 russet potato diced
- 1-2 carrots sliced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 lb ground beef spicy ground sausage, or turkey
- 2 c green beans cut into 1" pieces
- 1 tsp salt more or less depending on preference
- Pinch of oregano
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Set Instant Pot to saute and add ground beef, olive oil, garlic, and onions. Cook until pink on meat is almost gone. Turn off by pushing cancel.
- Add all other ingredients on top and stir.
- Push soup button and set for 15 minutes.
- When it beeps do a quick release.
- Carefully lift the lid and serve! Add a sprinkle of shaved parmesan cheese on top, optional but great.
For more easy recipes, tips and crafts please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉