Chocolate pumpkin bread with chocolate chips is out of this world delicious. Not just a fun Fall dessert loaf but year round it will make your mouth water.
Ready for a loaf of chocolate pumpkin bread? I know, amazing right? Add chocolate chips and take it out of this world delicious. Muffins work too, just make this easy delicious dessert it ya’ll!
- I don’t know about you but when it is Fall, I am all about everything pumpkin bread!
- You don’t have to “do plain” all the time though, throw in some chocolate or make apple pumpkin bread for a twist.
- We’ve gone above and beyond that though and will share all our other pumpkin recipes at the bottom of this post.
- Once you’re obsessed with this one you can move on to the others. 😉
Pumpkin chocolate chip bread
Yes, not only do we add cocoa powder but you need some semi sweet chips in there too. Those take this to the next level y’all!!
Make this!!! You only need 1 cup so don’t throw away what’s left in that can, or make Instant Pot pumpkin at home so you know what’s in it.
Don’t over bake it! Take out when a toothpick comes out mostly clean with some crumbs on it. Wrap the bread in foil shortly after it is taken out of the oven and cooled. These are the secrets to keeping it moist.
As always you’ll want to have 2 bowls ready. One bowl needs to mix the dry ingredients and the other has the wet ingredients. Then incorporate the two gently without over-mixing the two.
Chocolate chip pumpkin bread recipe
I am sure you’ve made sweet breads before at home. I often times make muffins just because they bake faster and it’s a grab and go breakfast or snack. Do as you wish. Usually muffins take 18ish minutes to bake.
Just touch gently in the center and if they bounce back they’re done. Do not over bake them or they won’t be moist and delicious.
- Pumpkin puree
- Cocoa powder
- Brown sugar
- Sour cream
- All purpose flour
- make sure you measure flour properly
- Semi sweet chocolate chips are the best, with an extra 1/2 cup on the top too
- Loaf pan with non stick cooking spray or parchment paper lined
- Wire rack for cooling is helpful
Time needed: 45 minutes.
Pumpkin chocolate bread
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl combine together flour, cocoa powder and baking soda together. In another bowl mix pumpkin, room temp. butter and egg, both sugars, vanilla and sour cream until smooth.
Slowly add dry ingredients into wet until incorporated. Stir in 1/2 c chocolate chips, or other add ins like our pumpkin cranberry bread.
Pour batter into a prepared pan sprayed lightly with non stick spray. Top with remaining chocolate chips.
Bake at 350 F for 45-50 minutes until toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean with some crumbs on it (meaning it’s moist, but no wet batter on it).
Take out, put on cooling rack to cool for 10 minutes minimum before slicing. I suggest you do not remove loaf until cooled before slicing.
Here’s what it looks like when it’s sliced. Use a sharp knife to slice and enjoy as a treat for breakfast, for Christmas brunch or a dessert.
Other easy pumpkin recipes we have on The Typical Mom blog that people rave about are:
- Our pumpkin pie dump cake is out of this world delicious with a crushed pecan brown sugar crumble on top.
- Then try this pumpkin pudding cake that is moist beyond belief! With a bit of pumpkin pie spice inside and ice cream on top takes this over the edge.
Use zucchini in our chocolate banana muffins too. It gives it even more moistness we all love.
And our MOST popular recipe is here. During the Fall season we make pumpkin zucchini muffins a lot!
Below is a printable version of this recipe with nutrition facts too such as calories and saturated fat. This is true comfort food though so just ignore it all other than the YUMs. 😉
Chocolate Pumpkin Bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder and baking soda together.
- Mix pumpkin, room temp. butter and egg, both sugars, vanilla and sour cream until smooth.
- Slowly add dry ingredients into wet until incorporated.
- Stir in 1/2 c chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into a loaf pan sprayed lightly with non stick spray. Top with remaining chocolate chips. Bake for 45-50 minutes until toothpick comes out mostly clean with some crumbs on it (meaning it's moist, but no wet batter on it).
- Take out, put on cooling rack. Do not remove loaf until cooled.