Ninja Foodi chicken recipe using the pressure cooker and air fryer functions so it’s tender meat with crispy chicken skin on the outside when it’s done!
This is a tender Ninja Foodi chicken recipe with garlic and herbs. Simple directions for this method as well as 5 other ways you can cook a whole chicken in your pressure cooker you’ll love. Just one of our favorite recipe in the Ninja Foodi so bookmark this page because we will add more each week! (originally published 1/20, affiliate links present)
There are TWO ways to do this. If you don’t want to pressure cook then follow our air fryer whole chicken directions. Below explains how to use both functions, both come out ultra tender and fantastic. Take your pick.
Ninja Foodi Chicken
We have a lot of easy and healthy Ninja Foodi recipes here on The Typical Mom blog. They’re all great, but cooking a whole chicken is usually the first thing you will want to do.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything!
If you too are obsessed with your Ninja Foodi pressure cooker air fryer machine, here are a few resource to start with:
- First LIKE my Facebook Page because I share new ideas there a lot!
- You can bookmark our Ninja air fryer recipes page, we add to that weekly.
- Grab a set of wooden utensils to work with. They are great so your pot doesn’t get scratched!
- Then join our Ninja Foodi EASY Recipes – Facebook group where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love. Thousands of others share both pressure cooker and air fryer recipe ideas there daily and you can too!
If you need to know how to cook frozen meat in a pressure cooker, we have information on that. NO, you aren’t the only forgetful one. 😉
Ninja Foodi Whole Chicken
Let’s start with the liquid underneath. Since we’re using the pressure cooker method for this, it is required. You’re free to use broth or water with thyme and oregano like we chose to do. If only using air crisp with our air fryer bbq chicken recipe this wouldn’t be necessary.
I add herbs to this as well as on to the chicken itself.
How to Cook a Chicken in Ninja Foodi
The choice is yours. This is what we rubbed on our whole chicken before we closed the lid. I cannot get enough garlic so that was a given.
I seasoned the chicken with Lawry’s since that goes on just about everything too. Beyond that I kinda’ give it a pinch of this and a shake of that until the whole thing is covered.
Ninja Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- If you want REALLY crispy skin I would use this air fryer chicken recipe instead of this one. You only use the crisping lid and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it this way.
- If you don’t care about the skins at all just follow the directions here for a whole chicken in a pressure cooker.
This is a great combination of both. You can really make the skin just like you like it with seasoning and olive oil spray like you see here.
If you’re new to all of this, I have a bit of help!
- All instructions are simple and explain how to use a Ninja Foodi with every step.
I like cooking a whole chicken because it is cheap, and it’s kinda’ throw it in and go.]
- You could even add halved potatoes into the liquid at the bottom if you wanted a quick side dish.
What if you want to make gravy out of the drippings?
I would suggest using chicken broth instead of water in the bottom then. It will create a richer flavor when done. You’ll get quite a bit of drippings during the cooking process though so either way will work.
How to make gravy out of chicken stock?
- Follow these homemade gravy directions.
How do you make gravy without flour or starch?
- Use arrowroot
- this will make it gluten free too
Ninja roasted chicken recipe
Step 1 – Add your liquid and herbs into your inner pot.
Next – Rinse your bird and remove the bag (if there is one) from the inner cavity. Place breast side up inside your black air crisp basket that came with your pot.
Then – Rub garlic and any seasonings you’d like on to the whole chicken.
Now – Close your pressure lid and set steam valve to closed/sealed. Set to pressure cook for 22 minutes, do NOT quick release. In order to create a moist chicken you need to allow it to naturally release for about 5 minutes, then let rest of steam out. Do not remove the chicken.
5th Step – Change to your air fry lid (one that is attached). Spray with olive oil. You can season more at this time if desired. Push air crisp 400 degrees for 10 – 15 minutes. Cooking time depends on how crispy you want it.
Carefully remove and set on cutting board. Let it rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing to remain tender.
Ninja Foodi roast chicken
Here are a few others you should try next:
- Ninja Foodi crack chicken!
- How to cook chicken nuggets in an air fryer
- Homemade french fries
- Other ways to cook a whole chicken
- Roast beef is a great dinner idea too
Our air fryer chicken tenders no breading recipe is a low carb option as well.
If you are looking specifically for air fryer dinner recipes we have that too. Tip: If you want REALLY crispy chicken skin then follow directions below but only pressure cook for 20 minutes, air crisp 400 for 20 minutes!
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Ninja Foodi Chicken Recipe
- Add your water, 2 tbsp of your minced garlic, 1 tbsp thyme, 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of oregano into your pot.
- Remove any bag that may be inside the cavity. Blot outside skin with paper towels to remove moisture. Rub 1 tbsp of minced garlic on to your chicken and sprinkle your seasoned salt all over your bird. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 tsp of oregano on chicken as well.
- Place inside your black air fryer basket breast side up, and put into your Ninja Foodi machine.
- Close your pressure cooker lid (the one not attached) and seal steam valve.
- Press pressure cook button, high, for 20 minutes.
- Allow to naturally release steam for 5 minutes, then release rest of steam.
- Remove lid. Spray top of chicken with olive oil (if you'd like to add more seasonings now go ahead).
- Close air fryer lid (one that is attached) and press air crisp button, 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Look after 10 (test with meat thermometer) and add more time depending on how crispy you like the skin.
- Lift out and allow to rest for at least 5 minutes so it stays juicy. Slice and serve.