Ninja Foodi chicken recipe using the pressure cooker and air fryer functions so it’s tender meat with crispy chicken skin on the outside when it’s done!
This is a tender Ninja Foodi chicken recipe with garlic and herbs. Simple directions for this method as well as 5 other ways you can cook a whole chicken in your pressure cooker you’ll love. Just one of our favorite recipe in the Ninja Foodi so bookmark this page because we will add more each week! (affiliate links present)
We have a lot of easy and healthy Ninja Foodi recipes here on The Typical Mom blog.
They’re all great, but cooking a whole chicken is usually the first thing you will want to do.
If you too are obsessed with your Ninja Foodi pressure cooker air fryer machine, here are a few resource to start with:
- First LIKE my Facebook Page because I share new ideas there a lot!
- You can bookmark our Ninja air fryer recipes page, we add to that weekly.
- Grab our favorite Foodi cookbook here, and this set of wooden utensils work great so your pot doesn’t get scratched!
- Then join our Ninja Facebook group where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love. We have an air fryer page that shares daily ideas too.
If you need to know how to cook frozen meat in a pressure cooker, we have information on that. NO, you aren’t the only forgetful one. 😉
Ninja Foodi chicken recipe
Let’s start with the liquid underneath. Since we’re using the pressure cooker method for this, it is required. You’re free to use broth or water with thyme and oregano like we chose to do. If only using air crisp with our air fryer bbq chicken recipe this wouldn’t be necessary.
I add herbs to this as well as on to the chicken itself.
The choice is yours.
This is what we rubbed on our whole chicken before we closed the lid. I cannot get enough garlic so that was a given.
I seasoned the chicken with Lawry’s since that goes on just about everything too. Beyond that I kinda’ give it a pinch of this and a shake of that until the whole thing is covered.
- If you want REALLY crispy skin I would use this air fryer chicken recipe instead of this one. You only use the crisping lid and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it this way.
- If you don’t care about the skins at all just follow the directions here for a whole chicken in a pressure cooker.
This is a great combination of both. You can really make the skin just like you like it with seasoning and olive oil spray like you see here.
If you’re new to all of this, I have a bit of help!
- Here are tips on how to use a Ninja Foodi.
I like cooking a whole chicken because it is cheap, and it’s kinda’ throw it in and go.]
- You could even add halved potatoes into the liquid at the bottom if you wanted a quick side dish.
What if you want to make gravy out of the drippings?
I would suggest using chicken broth instead of water in the bottom then. It will create a richer flavor when done. You’ll get quite a bit of drippings during the cooking process though so either way will work.
How to make gravy out of chicken stock?
- Follow these homemade gravy directions.
How do you make gravy without flour or starch?
- Use arrowroot
- this will make it gluten free too
How to make this roast chicken recipe
Step 1 – Add your liquid and herbs into your inner pot.
Next – Rinse your bird and remove the bag (if there is one) from the inner cavity. Place breast side up inside your black air crisp basket that came with your pot.
Then – Rub garlic and any seasonings you’d like on to the whole chicken.
Now – Close your pressure lid and set steam valve to closed/sealed. Set to pressure cook for 22 minutes, do NOT quick release. In order to create a moist chicken you need to allow it to naturally release for about 5 minutes, then let rest of steam out. Do not remove the chicken.
5th Step – Change to your air fry lid (one that is attached). Spray with olive oil. You can season more at this time if desired. Push air crisp 400 degrees for 10 – 15 minutes. Cooking time depends on how crispy you want it.
Carefully remove and set on cutting board. Let it rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing to remain tender.
Ninja Foodi roast chicken
Here are a few others you should try next:
- Ninja Foodi crack chicken!
- How to cook chicken nuggets in an air fryer
- Homemade french fries
- Other ways to cook a whole chicken
- Roast beef is a great dinner idea too
Our air fryer chicken tenders no breading recipe is a low carb option as well.
If you are looking specifically for air fryer dinner recipes we have that too.
Tip: If you want REALLY crispy chicken skin then follow directions below but only pressure cook for 20 minutes, air crisp 400 for 20 minutes!
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Ninja Foodi Chicken Recipe
- Add your water, 2 tbsp of your minced garlic, 1 tbsp thyme, 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of oregano into your pot.
- Rinse your whole chicken and remove any bag that ma be inside the cavity. Place inside your black air fryer basket breast side up, and put into your Ninja Foodi machine.
- Rub 1 tbsp of minced garlic on to your chicken and sprinkle your seasoned salt all over your bird. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 tsp of oregano on chicken as well.
- Close your pressure cooker lid and seal steam valve.
- Press pressure cook button, high, for 22 minutes.
- Allow to naturally release steam for 5 minutes, then release rest of steam.
- Remove lid. Spray chicken with olive oil (if you'd like to add more seasonings now go ahead).
- Close air fryer lid (one that is attached) and press air crisp button, 400 degrees for 10 – 15 minutes. Look after 10 and continue with remaining minutes depending on how crispy you like the skin.
- Lift out and allow to rest for at least 5 minutes so it stays juicy. Slice and serve. *** Alternative method for really crispy skin: pressure cook for 20 minutes, air crisp 400 for 20 minutes.