This is how to microwave brussel sprouts perfectly. With a balsamic vinegar sauce for lots of flavor you can steam quickly and serve this way.
Ok so you want a quick and easy meal, we’re here to help. When you microwave brussel sprouts it is faster than any other method out there. Then you can crisp if you want or enjoy as is as an easy microwave recipe with chicken or beef. (affiliate links present)
Brussel Sprouts in Microwave
To steam frozen vegetables in microwave they all basically work the same way. You’ll want a microwave safe bowl, I like glass, with a plate or lid on top. I don’t like using plastic when cooking so I use a plate, easy. Just a bit of water inside will create very hot steam and voila, you’re set.
There are tons of ways to cook brussel sprouts out there and I have tried many. They all have their benefits, this one is how quick they become fork tender.
There is NO other way to do it faster. Even Instant Pot brussel sprouts take longer because it needs to come to pressure. By that time these are done.
Looking for some easy microwave recipes? We have the answer! Whether you are traveling in an RV, need to cook in a hotel room or just want to cook food quickly we can help. Here are a few resources to get started;
FIRST – sign up for our free newsletter here! I publish new posts each and every day and that will be sent out twice a week for you to read and try them all!
- Here are my favorite microwave safe dishes with lids to use, plastic is no good.
- Cook times may vary slightly if you have a very small unit with less than 1000 watts.
- Remember to use pot holders to remove food from inside as it may be very hot when done cooking.
Steam Brussel Sprouts Microwave
This is essentially what you’re doing, but without a pot or basket. Nope, you just need a bowl with some sort of lid.
- We did this first when prepping our brussel sprouts on the grill. They were much too difficult to pierce the skewer through as is so slightly softening was the trick. Worked great!
From there I figured this would make an easy side dish for sure and it did. Best by far is to cut the ends off as always and then slice in half lengthwise. That way it cooks more evenly. Yes you can throw them in whole but the downside is the outside gets a bit too soft by the time the middle is just right. Just a tip.
Same thing goes when you microwave carrots. Better to cut those into thicker sticks instead of big chunks. Even for larger pieces of produce I wouldn’t leave whole. For something bigger like acorn squash in microwave I cut in half for perfection.
Frozen Brussel Sprouts in Microwave
Those would be frozen so you’d still follow our same directions below but add a few to about 10 – 12 minutes. All you need is a bowl, plate and a bit of water. Other store brands beyond Walmart would work the same way.
We share all different ways of how to cook frozen brussel sprouts here. There are many options but this would be the fastest overall. It just takes a few minutes longer than if you waited until they were defrosted or thawed out, unless they are whole. A great side when roasting a frozen duck or chicken.
Quickest Way to Cook Brussel Sprouts
The biggest difference is that if they whole as you see here below it takes a bit more work. Ideally you can find or have them already sliced. You don’t want to try and cut if they are rock hard, you’ll likely hurt yourself as they roll around on your cutting board.
If halved just follow the same instructions as below, but stir halfway thru and add a bit more time. So instead of 8 you’re looking at closer to 10 minutes but still super fast. For whole stir every 4 minutes for a total of about 12 until softened.
Do you Need Water to Microwave Frozen Vegetables
Yes a bit is necessary. You would only need 1/4 of the bottom of your bowl filled to essentially steam them to tender. Smaller mixed vegetables in a bag straight out of your freezer take about 4-5 minutes. These take less time because they’re smaller and not quite as firm.
Can I Microwave Instead of Blanching
Kind of. I mean it will soften them more than if you didn’t at all. Use the same idea with a bit of water and covered so it can steam. I’d say that you should instead follow our how to blanch vegetables instructions for best results though.
What is good to put on brussel sprouts
It’s all about the toppings and mix ins right? Especially when you want your kids to actually try them I would suggest goodies like; dried cranberries, candied pecans, chopped walnuts, a quick squeeze of lemon, even a light sprinkle of brown sugar can be good.
First prep them by cutting the ends off and then slice each one in half lengthwise. Rinse and lay on paper towels, roll up and press to remove moisture from outsides (if you’re adding a sauce, if not it isn’t necessary to dry). Pour into a bowl.
- Melt some butter (or olive oil) and combine with balsamic vinegar. Pour half of this on bright green brussels, season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Add water or broth into the bottom of your large glass or microwave safe dish / bowl. Add brussels. Cover bowl with a plate.
- Microwave on high for 6-8 minutes or until as tender as you’d like. Drain liquid from bowl. Pour remaining butter mixture over the top and stir to coat.
Can add dried cranberries and/or chopped nuts into mix too. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder then enjoy your personalized fresh brussel sprouts recipe. After you fall in love with these you should try these roasted brussel sprouts and cauliflower in the oven!
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Microwave Brussel Sprouts
- 1 Bowl microwave safe with lid or plate
- Cut ends off brussels and then slice in half lengthwise. Rinse and lay on paper towels (if you are adding our butter and balsamic sauce, if just adding salt and pepper no need to dry), roll up and press to remove moisture from outsides. Pour into a bowl.
- Melt butter and combine with balsamic. Pour half of this on brussels, season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Pour 1/4 c. water or broth into large glass or microwave safe bowl. Add brussels. Cover bowl with a plate.
- Microwave for 6-8 minutes or until as tender as you'd like. Drain liquid from bowl. Pour remaining butter mixture over the top and stir to coat. Can add dried cranberries and/or chopped nuts into mix too. Season with salt and pepper and enjoy.