This is how you make amazing brussel sprouts on the grill wrapped with bacon, they taste amazing! If you haven’t found a way to cook tender flavorful brussels sprouts that you like this may be the ticket to loving them and they’re a great vegetable side dish when you’re having a barbecue. Try them!
I never thought I would like brussel sprouts, but the older I get the broader my taste buds get and now they’re quite tasty…especially brussel sprouts on the grill! If you haven’t tried grilled brussels sprouts let me show you how we make them wrapped with bacon of course. They’re pretty amazing! (originally published 6/16)
Brussel sprouts on the grill
Brussels sprouts get a bad rap, but prepared right they are quite tasty and a healthy side dish that is great cooked on the grill right next to your burgers! Of course everything is better with BACON so the pair are perfect together with some olive oil and spices to get just the right flavor on your veggies.
The key to making them tender is putting them in the microwave first….THEN grilling them!
This is what you’ll need to do first to prepare them.
- Wash your brussels sprouts and remove the first layer of leaves on the outside
- Use a knife and cut the very hard part on the bottom off (I dig in just a bit to get that out but keep it in tact, you can cut it in half too if you wish but it’s harder to put on kebabs that way)
- Put them in a microwave safe bowl with about 1/4 c water
- Put 2 paper towels, attached, on top and wrap under the bowl so it doesn’t come off when it’s cooking
- Microwave for 4-5 minutes, check after 4, so they soften a bit and aren’t rock hard
Now it’s time to make them into brussel sprout kebabs so you can grill them:
- First you will need some 4-6″ wood skewers for this recipe, as well as bacon, olive oil, and spices.
- After you’ve microwaved them, drain the water and allow them to cool enough so you can handle them.
- In the bowl pour olive oil on top of them, just enough to coat them.
- Then add garlic powder, salt, pepper, and garlic salt and/or Lawry’s seasoning as well…..whatever you like. Add enough to coat them slightly and mix with your olive oil (I usually massage with my hands gently just to coat).
- Now take your skewers and run them under some water so when you put them on the grill they don’t burn.
- Take one brussel sprout and push the skewer thru. Cut your bacon slices in half and fold that half into 4ths so it goes on the skewer as so.
- Add another brussel sprout, 1/2 pc. of bacon, and then another brussel sprout. This is usually a perfect serving for one person.
Now this is the important part! Wait until your grill is not so hot and the coals have cooled off a bit so your brussel sprouts on the grill cook slowly…..that is the key.
Slowly cook your skewers for maybe 5 minutes with the top on so they steam a bit too and then flip to do the same on the other side.
The first time you make them keep a closer eye on them so they don’t burn. When the bacon is done they are usually all about done and perfect! Let me know what you think when you make your grilled brussels sprouts, or if you add anything else to your skewer that you like!
For more easy recipes, tips and crafts please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉