This Instant Pot honey mustard chicken is so simple to make with salad dressing and just one other ingredient. A dump and go dinner you can throw into your pressure cooker and have a healthy meal done in less than 20 minutes and for under $10 total. Served over rice it’s an easy chicken recipe.
Have you ever tried Instant Pot honey mustard chicken? Just 4 ingredients with your meat and done. I love easy Instant Pot recipes and this one couldn’t be simpler! (originally published 9/19, affiliate links present)
Honey Mustard Chicken Instant Pot
My family loves honey mustard anything so I thought I’d try it using chicken thighs last night for dinner and it is our new favorite meal!! You could slice an onion and add that in too.
The sauce thickened as it sat and didn’t take long to pressure cook. You can use your IP, Crockpot Express or Ninja Foodi machines to make this. As long as it has the high pressure function it would cook just the same, the brand doesn’t really matter.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
- This is a great InstaPot cookbook and set of wooden utensils are great to grab too.
- I HIGHLY recommend you buy this non stick pot.
- You should still deglaze pressure cooker after sautéing but it won’t have as many issues with this better liner.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
Ninja Foodi Mustard Chicken
You could even shred the chicken right in the pot and make pressure cooker sliders too. We did with this electric pressure cooker mustard chicken a while back.
They were spicy topped with cole slaw and perfect little appetizers for any party. We went on an Instant Pot chicken recipes kick after that one.
We like this one on top of Instant Pot white rice. Simple and packed with protein with tons of flavor I tell you. It is my husbands favorite salad dressing so I thought, why not use it as a sort of marinade of sorts right?
Instant Pot honey mustard chicken
I prefer to use boneless skinless chicken thighs for this one. Bone in is a bit cheaper but these are easier for the kids to eat and have a lot of the fat already trimmed off. You are going to use the saute and pressure cook functions for this.
- If you have a Crockpot Express or Ninja Foodi the directions below remain the same and will come out just as good.
Instant Pot boneless chicken thighs
Yes you could use breasts with this as well but medium size is best. Too thick and it won’t get cooked all the way thru to the center of them. I just think dark meat has so much more flavor to them, and are cheaper as well so it’s a win win.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and set to saute.
- Add oil and sear each piece.
- Pour in chicken stock and deglaze your Instant Pot to avoid the dreaded burn notice
- Getting a non stick pot will eliminate that worry for the most part
- Mix together ingredients for your homemade honey mustard sauce, pour that in with thighs
- Close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for a 10 minute cooking time
- Do a quick release, then add cornstarch if you want sauce thicker
Honey mustard chicken recipe
- Pressure cooker
- if you have an Instant Pot I HIGHLY suggest getting a non stick pot
- 3-4 lbs. chicken thighs – skinless, could use bone in or boneless
- Olive oil
- Dijon mustard
- Chicken stock or broth
- Cornstarch for thickening sauce if desired
- Salt and pepper to taste
It really is up to you whether you use chicken thighs or chicken breasts. I used the latter with honey mustard salad dressing too. That recipe is below the first recipe card in this post.
Ninja Foodi Honey Mustard Chicken
Either way you want them medium sized, so it cooks faster and more evenly. You could also make Instant Pot honey mustard pork chops if you wanted I suppose using this method.
Once you remove the chicken and it it is done through you can thicken the sauce a bit, or leave it as is. Then serve it as you wish, ideas are:
- Shred chicken and put it into small tortillas with some cole slaw inside too.
- Serve it on top of rice or perfect quinoa.
- Make it low carb and pair it with some vegetables, a few of our favorites are:
- air fryer cauliflower or slow cooker mashed potatoes
- You can cook brussel sprouts a number of different ways
Chicken Recipes InstaPot
If you want more chicken thigh recipes you’ve gotta’ try these Instant Pot teriyaki chicken thighs too which can be made mild too. The homemade teriyaki sauce is the bomb though.
- Instant Pot apricot chicken – which uses salad dressing too
- Cheap Instant Pot salsa chicken – just 3 ingredients
- Super easy Instant Pot teriyaki chicken is a healthy meal my kids absolutely love.
- One of our most popular meals is this Instant Pot sesame chicken dish
But wait…we have another Instant Pot recipe using bone in chicken thighs you can try as well. Look here! It’s smothered in a cream cheese sauce that’s rich and creamy. Served over rice it is something you should try next.
How long will cooked chicken last in the fridge?
Typically 3 to four days is the rule of thumb if kept in a container with the air removed. It is easier for us to put individual portions in each baggie or container so it can be grabbed and reheated easily.
You can heat it in a pan on the stove, or in 30 second increments in the microwave if you wish. Cutting your thighs in half before reheating helps so the outsides don’t dry out by the time the insides are warm.
Can you freeze leftover cooked chicken?
Yes!! We usually don’t have leftovers with this one but you can store it inside airtight containers or freezer bags. It is safe to store it in the freezer for up to nine months too, 4 months is best though for the best flavor. Once it is defrosted you’ll need to reheat and eat it within 24 hours though to be safe.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Instant Pot Honey Mustard Chicken
- 3-4 lbs chicken thighs boneless, skinless
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 c dijon mustard
- 1/2 c honey
- 1 c chicken stock or broth
- 1 tbsp cornstarch optional, to thicken sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season both sides of thighs with salt and pepper. Set pressure cooker to saute function.
- Add oil and when hot add 4 thighs to sear/brown on both sides. Remove when done and add 4 more until they are all done.
- Pour 1/3 c of your broth/stock into your pot and use a wooden spoon to scrape cooked bits of chicken off bottom of the pot (deglazing)
- In a bowl whisk together rest of broth and all other ingredients minus the cornstarch to make your honey mustard sauce.
- Put all chicken back into the pot so they overlap the least amount possible, then pour sauce over the top.
- Close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 10 minutes. Then do a quick release.
- Remove chicken. For a thicker sauce set pot to saute. In a small bowl whisk together cornstarch with a few tbsp of hot liquid from pot until smooth. Pour into pot and stir for 1-2 min so it thickens, then turn pot off and serve.
Tuesday 5th of January 2021
Does the time change if I use bone in thighs?
Tuesday 10th of September 2019
My roommate has trouble chewing and swallowing so many foods, especially meats. She does like honey mustard and this recipe uses chicken thighs instead of breasts which come out more moist. To the grocery store with me! I am making this for dinner tonight!De
Wednesday 13th of February 2019
this sounds so good. I wonder how it would be with pork chops.
Thursday 8th of November 2018
I love this recipe! So easy and delicious! I served mine with broccoli and rice.