Try Instant Pot enchilada rice tonight as the best side dish with a ton of flavor. New Mexican rice idea that’s great with tacos or burritos.
Have you heard of Instant Pot enchilada rice? Probably not since it’s something I just kinda’ thought up. Tender with black beans and corn, it’s a great side dish. An easy Instant Pot recipe. (affiliate links present)
So why not cross the two and see how it would turn out….and here we are today.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then LIKE our IP Facebook page for new ideas daily.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
When it comes to Mexican food it’s all about the seasonings and sauces right? This is no different, bring them all out!
Here are a few questions you might have to begin with:
Now let’s talk about what you’re going to need out to get started with this easy Instant Pot recipe.
Enchilada Rice Recipe
The extras are canned kernel corn and black beans. Those can be eliminated, use just one, or if you prefer pinto beans then go with that instead.
- Long grain white rice and black beans
- haven’t tested with brown rice yet so unsure of cook time
- Canned corn
- Red enchilada sauce in mild or medium heat is what we prefer
- Chicken broth
- Olive oil
And then all of the flavors that will make it a whopping wow!
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- Chili powder
- Alternatively you could add a taco seasoning packet instead of all these
If you’re making this as a weeknight dinner as is I would add sour cream and cheddar cheese on top when done.
With the rice, black beans and corn it would be a complete meal if you added some protein too.
Need to adjust for different dietary needs? It’s pretty easy to do so long as you follow the same amount of rice and liquid stated. You can use 2 cups of water instead of broth if you prefer.
Use Vegan cheese if you’d rather, and toppings are totally up to you of course.
Number one tip to remember when cooking rice in a pressure cooker. You do NOT want to stir it in, it may trigger the burn on Instant Pot and stop cooking. Instead just submerge into the liquid below and fluff at the end.
Here are quick step by step directions. I also have this in a printable form at the bottom of this post for your convenience.
Time needed: 7 minutes.
Instant Pot Enchilada Rice
- Add ingredients
Pour olive oil, spices and broth into your pot and stir so they’re well combined. Pour in enchilada sauce with can of corn and black beans, stir.
Sprinkle in uncooked rice and gently submerge into the liquid but do not stir.
Close lid and steam pressure valve to sealing and set to high pressure for 7 minutes. Let pressure release naturally. This will take approx 15 minutes.
Do not quick release or rice will not cook completely and become tender.
- Fluff and serve
Lift lid and fluff with a fork. You can add some shredded cheese now and stir in or place lid on and allow to melt on top before serving.
Add sour cream, sliced avocado and anything else to top when serving if you’d like.
Make sure you fluff with a fork before serving so all ingredients are mixed together.
Serve this alongside of Instant Pot tacos you’ve made and enjoy as is. If you want to take it a step further add ALL THE TOPPINGS. Here are a few of our favorite things to have on hand for this:
What are good toppings for rice?
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Sliced avocados
- Sour cream
- Diced jalapeños could be offered for some added heat
How do you save rice?
I will say that plain versions don’t save well at all. BUT this one can be reheated successfully the next day and not dry out. Just store in airtight containers in the fridge.
Reheat in the microwave in 30 second increments stirring in between until it is as warm as you’d like it to be. I would add more cheese at the end and melt that too so it’s nice and moist.
Looking for other pressure cooker recipes similar to this one?
- There are a bunch of easy ground beef recipes to choose from here.
- Mexican pizza is pretty fun to make. I’d recommend using 1/2 lb. of spicy ground sausage and beef for the rest of the meat.
- This rice and risotto goes great with black beans too as healthy side dishes to any meal.
Instant Pot enchilada casserole turns out amazing as you can see here. It has a ton of great flavors because of the red sauce.
Printable recipe with ingredients and steps to follow is below.
You can keep it handy after you’ve made it in your folder of other favorites or just come back. We love “seeing you” so don’t stay away too long. 😉
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Instant Pot Enchilada Rice
- Pour olive oil, spices and broth into your pot and stir so they're well combined.
- Pour in enchilada sauce with can of corn and black beans, stir.
- Sprinkle in uncooked rice and gently submerge into the liquid but do not stir.
- Close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 7 minutes followed by a natural release of steam. Allow all steam to release naturally which will take approx 15 minutes.
- Lift lid and fluff with a fork. You can add some shredded cheese now, place lid on and allow to melt on top before serving.
- Add sour cream, sliced avocado and anything else to top when serving if you'd like.