Here are a bunch of easy DIY baby shower decorating ideas that are cheap but adorable for a boy or girl baby shower! Things you can use to make your own party centerpieces from the Dollar Store and how to customize your party for less but make it look amazing and like you spared no expense.
Here are some great decorating ideas for a baby shower using items from the Dollar Store!! Decorations can be so expensive when you are planning a party! I say “use what you have first, shop frugally second, then find what you need at the local retail store,” that usually holds true no matter what I am doing but especially when I am planning for a party. Here several DIY baby shower decorating ideas for centerpieces when you’re having or throwing a baby shower using items from The Dollar Store. (originally published 12/15).
Make sure to LIKE The Typical Mom for more easy ideas like these and I hope we give you inspiration for your special occasion. 😉
All of these easy baby shower decorations can be adjusted for either a boy, girl, or gender neutral party.
Cute centerpieces and decorations can really bring an “OOohhhhh” when people first show up, and the first impression is the most important right…so let’s start there with our Dollar Store decorating idea.
First you’ll want to go to the Dollar store to see what they have and go from there….or you can buy a few inexpensive vases here.
Vases big and small are inexpensive and perfect for centerpieces. You can wrap them so you can’t see thru if if you like, add colored glass pieces inside to add some flair, or colored tissue paper inside…… use tulle for a multitude of things including bows or adding it to the inside of the vase too….. is very inexpensive to buy.
Of course look to see what you already have at home or could repurpose first before buying what you need.
You may have some mason jars at home you can use as centerpieces which will save you the cost of those, or vases that could be repurposed into centerpieces as well.
Think about using things from nature too when creating your centerpieces. Especially if you have a large room to fill, simple sticks can really make a grander look.
You can find some in the stores but instead of spending money (goes against the whole diy, let’s find what we already have concept) just look for sticks outside.
You can spray paint them and hang things off of them like pom poms or baby items like pacifiers and bows.
Here’s a quick tutorial on how to make tulle pom poms (they can be used for many of the baby centerpiece ideas you see on the collage above, or put on tables for color).
DIY Baby Shower decorating ideas
- Another way to create puff balls is to use coffee filters and styrofoam balls. You can find both of these items at pretty much any Dollar Store, Muslin Merlot has a great tutorial on creating these coffee filter puff balls that could easily be used as a baby shower centerpiece, or hung from the ceiling! You can find large coffee filters here, or make them out of tulle too)
- Nobody will know just how inexpensive it was to make these decorations and would probably never think that you used coffee filters and items from the Dollar Store to create them….that is the true meaning of a successful DIY project! Here’s another yummy baby shower centerpiece idea that is cheap, cute, and edible too from Fancy Edibles!
- These are easy to do with fancy paper straws (found at craft stores or sometimes at Walmart), marshmallows, melted chocolate, and fun things to dip in. Fill your Dollar Store vase or mason jar with colored glass beads or tissue paper, add these in with a bow around the edge and it’s a super cute idea. See full instructions on Fancy Edible’s site.
- Make cute and edible baby shower centerpieces with these cute rice krispy treat pops colored with pink or blue coloring depending on your decor! Easy to do, cheap, and super cute inside mason jars with colored glass or tissue paper at the bottom.
- Making cute cupcakes instead of ordering an expensive cake is a great money saving party idea. Use a tiered platter like this to display them and use that as a diy baby shower decorating idea too!
Now don’t forget the gift table and dessert table when decorating for your baby shower. They are important too and you can do so many cute things with them.
Anything to do with mason jars is my style and there are cute ideas using those below, but think of simple things you can add such as a box with a variety of blank note cards so guests can write words of advice to the expectant mother! That is a very cheap idea but will mean a lot to the main guest and women love writing personal notes at a time like this.
- I LOVE mason jars!! There are SO many things you can do to bring a great look to a party or baby shower using mason jars (you can find them here), flowers, paint, and some imagination. You can buy them in bulk at Walmart or elsewhere and they are usually right around $1 a piece! Carnations are an inexpensive filler, or find some in your garden, and Walmart also has tons of colors of paint you can use that are just $.50 – $1 each. Here is a great example from Made from Pinterest on how you can create an inexpensive baby shower centerpiece….seriously love this one!
- This cute and inexpensive idea from No Biggie involves cute pinwheels, candy and little glass bottles. Customize with the colors you want/need and it is a whimsical way to liven up a Baby shower table for just a few dollars!
- Here is a really cute idea using height and colorful tulle pom poms for a baby shower from Better Together. You could use sticks for this as well or dowels if you wanted them to be nice and straight (they are cheap too). I encourage you to think #1 about what you have at home already when you want to make something for yourself or someone else, and #2 if you need to buy something look at the $1 stores first …..you will be amazed at how many things they have there!
- Super cute and easy to do with washcloths (found at the Dollar store or you can get a few here), a ribbon, and see how she put it together on Just a Girl and her blog’s site here.
- Baby shower prediction and advice cards are popular and perfect to add to the gift table…will be an added “gift” to her as well at the end of the party.
- Now if you want to buy a prepackaged and cute baby shower party kit with all the decorations included, you just put them up this is an inexpensive one to get.
Make sure to play a few free baby shower games like this Baby Shower Price is Right game that’s hilarious and an easy one to put together. You can find lots of other free printable baby shower games here as well.
Inexpensive ways to customize your baby shower just a bit since you’re saving on your decorations
I have more easy diy baby shower decorating ideas
- Free She’s Ready to Pop baby shower invitations here
- How to make onesie bunting / garland for your baby shower, any gender would work for this
- How to make a simple baby shower banner that you can print right at home
- Baby shower cake toppers are cute too
- How to make an inexpensive diaper cake
- What’s in Your Diaper Bag printable game
- Cute flower centerpieces and more diaper cake ideas
- Printable gender reveal invitations
- Children’s books baby shower banner using old books
When it comes to baby shower games I offer lots of free printable baby shower games here which will add a few laughs to your party and won’t cost you a thing to play since I’ve done all the work. 😉
For inexpensive cake pop ideas I have a few here.
** Here are Free baby shower invitation templates so you can create your own invites for free too!
If you love these easy and inexpensive DIY baby shower decorating ideas please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook, sign up for my newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest!