Homemade banana Nutella muffins are easy to make. Blending your favorite two flavors of chocolate with your overripe fruit is so yummy.
Banana Nutella muffins are the bomb. Really you have to make these with your next bunch of overripe bananas. I mean adding this chocolate spread makes everything better right? Probably one of our best muffin recipes of all times. (affiliate links present)
I mean you can make our easy 4 ingredient banana bread into muffins and spread some of this goodness on top. BUT baking it within the baked goods is out of this world amazing. I mean you can add it to the top too but you know what I’m talkin’ about.
If you don’t already have a long list of overripe banana recipes you can share mine. They are way too good to throw away when they get real brown. This is the time to create goodness with them and try something new. For easy you can make cake mix pumpkin banana muffins. From scratch these are amazing. Here’s our latest creation.
Let’s talk a bit about my favorite things when it comes to muffins though shall we?
- You really should get a 24 cup muffin pan, or opt for a quicker baking time with mini muffins.
- I ALWAYS use muffin liners and you should too. They make cleanup easier and grab and go breakfasts a thang. 😉
- No pan, no problem! Use these self standing muffin cups instead!
- This is the best way to store leftovers so they don’t get smushed!
Nutella Banana Swirl Muffins
Before these I did make some chocolate banana muffins but those used cocoa powder and chocolate chips. This hazelnut spread is a bit different, but it sure does taste amazing too.
It is a hazelnut cocoa spread made with palm oil. Manufactured by Ferrero in Italy originally it became wildly popular and “spread” to the states thereafter. Everything should be eaten in moderation so too much isn’t healthy but in small quantities it does contain fiber and iron.
What do you start with, well with your naners of course. These are not as ripe as I’d like but you can imagine what I mean by using as ripe as possible so they’re super sweet. Beyond that you can use our easy muffin recipe batter with a swirl inside or follow instructions below.
Easy Nutella Recipes
You can make all sorts of baked goods with a, or a few spoonfuls of this. You can make Nutella brownies with it, mug cake, swirl it inside of a cheesecake…the possibilities are endless. If you microwave it for 30 seconds it will melt a bit and get softer to work with.
When baking any kind of muffin I like to use liners unless I am out. If so a little spritz of non stick spray is necessary.
- All purpose flour
- Ripe bananas
- Quick oats
- Brown sugar and vanilla extract
- Baking soda and powder
- Large bowl and whisk
And then the chocolate spread will be swirled into the middle before baking. These are great with a bowl of Instant Pot chocolate oatmeal.
Nutella Banana Oat Muffins
Here’s how you want to do it. There is a complete step by step version below you can print as well but you can get the gist real quick here.
- First go ahead and spray muffin pans or use muffin papers. Preheat oven to 375°. Create buttermilk by stirring lemon juice into your milk. Set aside while mixing ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the brown sugar. In another bowl, mix together quick oats and boiling water.
- Whisk your egg and oil into the made buttermilk. Add quick oats to flour mixture. Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients until muffin batter is creamy. Mash bananas and add to muffin batter.
- Warm room temperature spread in microwave for 15 seconds so it’s easier to deal with.
- Fill muffin tins 3/4 of the way full with batter. Add a teaspoon of Nutella into the center of each muffin cup. Swirl the Nutella in with a toothpick. Bake for 20 minutes.
- When they are done allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Use a knife to carefully remove the muffins.
You never want to overbake your baked goods. The best way to avoid this is to take out when they spring back and almost immediately take out of the hot pan. If no they will continue cooking and drying out.
You can see how they will look before taking a trip into the oven here. If you were to make muffins in air fryer using silicone baking cups you’d do the same thing. The cook time would be different slightly but that is a great way to make a small batch if you want.
Use the same idea to try other things too. You could do the same thing with homemade jam for sure. Use just one type or make a variation with different flavors to try. Peanut butter is another option that goes well with bananas. Works the same way since both are basically the same consistency.
Add 1/2 a cup of chopped nuts along with any of these and voila, the perfect breakfast idea for sure. Leftover muffins save quite well too if you store them correctly. Using air tight bags or containers are the best. Remove the air every time you open it. The next few days on the countertop will keep the same texture, beyond that it will change.
To save longer freeze them flat instead. It will extend their life from 3 days to 3 months easily. It’s easy to defrost one or a few on the countertop and enjoy weeks later.
Serve them as is or with a bit of butter which will melt and soak in when warmed slightly. More of a dessert I guess you could enjoy after dinner too. Let us know what you think!
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Banana Nutella Muffins
- 1.5 c all purpose flour
- 2 bananas overripe and mashed
- 1 c quick oats
- 1 c water boiling hot
- 3/4 c milk
- 1/4 c oil
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 c Nutella
- How long to bake mini muffins
- Spray muffin pans or line with muffin papers. Set oven to 375°. Create buttermilk by stirring lemon juice into milk. Set aside while mixing ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir in brown sugar. Set aside. In a small bowl, mix together quick oats and boiling water. Set aside.
- Whisk egg and oil into buttermilk. Add quick oats to flour mixture. Stir in buttermilk, egg, and oil until muffin batter is creamy. Mash bananas and add to muffin batter.
- Fill muffin tins 3⁄4 full with batter. Add a teaspoon full of Nutella into the center of each muffin. Stir in with a toothpick or cake tester. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Use a knife to carefully remove the muffins. Allow muffins to cool completely before serving as the texture of the muffin is much