Instant Pot shrimp is easy to cook! We’ll teach you how to cook frozen shrimp in your pressure cooker + share easy Instant Pot shrimp recipes too.
Wondering how to cook frozen Instant Pot shrimp what to do with fresh shrimp in your pressure cooker? We have directions for you so they’re perfectly pink when they’re done! This and more on our easy Instant Pot recipes page. (originally published 1/19, affiliate links present)
We started with this Instant Pot fish recipe where we made both vegetables and white fish in stackable pans inside our pressure cooker, that was yummy.
Last weekend I was craving shrimp so I sent my husband out to buy a few pounds so I could figure out how to cook shrimp in the Instant Pot.
- Of course he followed directions to a tee (not) and brought home two bags of frozen shrimp instead of fresh from the meat counter so……
Frozen shrimp Instant Pot
- We figured this out!
- This is the size I was working with, extra jumbo. They shrink quite a bit and become bite sized when they’re done so don’t let the size scare you.
- Guaranteed you too can find this in your grocery store in the freezer section too so you can make shrimp in the Instant Pot like we did.
First I used this Instant Pot cooking times printable to figure out about how long it would take.
Adjustments I made to cook fresh and frozen shrimp in the Instant Pot.
- I got the cook times off the Instant Pot website but ended up adjusting the shrimp cook times after I experimented with them on my own.
- There’s stated that shrimp took 1-2 minutes if they were fresh, I found it took 0 minutes on my Instant Pot
- It said frozen shrimp took 2-3 minutes, once again they took 0 minutes to be pink like you see here below
- Fresh fish was said to take 2-3 minutes, my 3/4 lb. fillet of salmon took 4 minutes to be cooked through so I increased the time to 4
Unless you were adding a TON of shrimp into your pressure cooker, like to the 3/4 fill line I wouldn’t cook them longer than 0 minutes.
Best shrimp to cook in your pressure cooker.
- I’m specific in showing you what I used here. I took a photo of the bag, size, etc because these are the best shrimp to use.
- Use shrimp with the shells still on so they don’t cook quite as fast as if there were no shells. You do NOT want to overcook shrimp or they’ll be hard and rubbery.
- Extra jumbo size is best. – Once again, they cook FAST so this size enables them to not be overcooked even at 0 minutes you wouldn’t want them more done than this.
Equipment you need to cook Instant Pot shrimp to perfection.
- Instant Pot steamer basket – I like this one here because it has a hook attached and a piece for easy lifting out
- Instant Pot or any other brand of pressure cooker like Crock Pot Express – this is the pretty one I have
That is literally all you need.
From there you can shell them and enjoy your cooked shrimp as is or add them to your favorite Instant Pot shrimp recipe, we will share a few of our favorites and share pressure cooker garlic shrimp below.
How to cook frozen Instant Pot shrimp:
Time needed: 1 minute.
Frozen shrimp in Instant Pot
- Add items
Pour 1.5 c water into your pressure cooker. Open your vegetable steamer basket and place 10-20 jumbo frozen raw shrimp into your basket.
Spread them out as much as you can so they’re overlapping the least amount possible
Close your lid and steam valve. Set to high pressure cook for 0 minutes they cook quickly so stand by! Do a quick release.
Lift out steamer basket immediately so they don’t continue to cook
Remove shells and enjoy or add to shrimp pasta recipe
So quick and easy, we do this all the time just for a snack!
How to set your Instant Pot to cook for 0 minutes.
- Add items into your pressure cooker – if you’re brand new here’s basics on how to use an Instant Pot
- Press manual (if you have that button)
- Then pressure, high
- Adjust using – button until it says 0
- Allow it to start
- It will beep as soon as it reaches pressure
- That is what it means to cook for 0 minutes in your Instant Pot
- Do a quick release (for shrimp anyway, or follow the recipe you’re reading for further instructions)
Note: When you follow these steps your frozen shrimp will come out cooked, not just thawed and still raw.
Here they are after just zero minutes in the Instant Pot!
Instant Pot shrimp scampi
- 12 jumbo shrimp – if frozen first follow instructions to thaw them
- Minced garlic
- Diced chives – optional
We are working on other Instant Pot shrimp recipes but for now here are others you can try:
- We love defrosting our shrimp using the method above and then adding them on top of our Instant Pot fettuccine alfredo
- Pressure cooker curried shrimp paella
- Use your defrosted shrimp in these pressure cooker asian steamed dumplings
- Our Instant Pot shrimp boil is totally amazing
Our new Instant Pot shrimp alfredo pasta is so good and a new family fave!!
Instructions on how to thaw shrimp in the Instant Pot and make garlic butter shrimp is below.
- I made these using frozen shrimp initially with the shells on
- You could make these garlic shrimp with fresh pcs. as well
- They only take about 2 minutes to cook
- Delicious protein packed meal!
If they’re still frozen make air fryer frozen shrimp with parmesan for dinner some time.
Printable recipe below so you can keep it handy. Use directions to make shrimp plain, or use butter and garlic instructions if you want to add a bunch of flavor with just a few simple ingredients.
Instant Pot Shrimp
- If using frozen shrimp:Pour 1.5 c water into your Instant Pot and put a vegetable steamer basket inside your pot with your frozen shrimp inside.Set to pressure high for 0 minutes, do a quick release.Drain pot and follow below instructions to make into Instant Pot garlic shrimp.
- Set Instant Pot to saute, low, and add butter.
- When butter is melted add minced garlic.
- Once butter starts to sizzle add your shrimp and toss with butter and garlic.
- Cook 1-2 minutes if you’re shrimp is fresh, until shrimp is pink and cooked through as much as you desire. If shrimp was frozen and you used method above to thaw/cook them then once butter sizzles turn your pot off/cancel, put shrimp in, mix with ingredients, and take out immediately to eat.Remove immediately and sprinkle with chives if you like. Enjoy.