Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon cooked with red wine, vegetables and seasonings turns out amazingly tender and flavorful! You’ve gotta’ give this a whirl.
Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon may come off as an expensive or difficult dish to make. It’s not! If you’ve always wanted to make this Julia Child dish this will make you a pro. This and many other easy Instant Pot recipes are here for you to try on The Typical Mom blog. (affiliate links present)
If you’ve had this at a restaurant you know what kinda’ comfort food this is.
With a thick broth, a bit like stew but better, the flavors are just out of this world with super tender stew meat.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
What is the best cut of meat for beef bourguignon?
A few cuts of beef have been used including; brisket, chuck steak, and stew meat (which I use a lot because it’s so cheap and already cut into small pieces). Brisket does yield an amazing result but is the most expensive out of the 3.
- In this round chuck roast was used and diced into bite size pieces. That is how you get it super tender and wonderful.
You cook this similar to our Instant Pot beef stroganoff recipe where you saute the meat first using a bit of olive oil.
- That will give you a bit of sear on the outside of your protein.
- If you wanted to give your meat a really bold flavor you could massage some of our steak dry rub on it before cooking. We didn’t this time.
Pressure cooker beef bourguignon
- Electric pressure cooker
- Beef stew meat or beef tips
- Red wine
- Tomato paste
- Olive oil
- Onion – Yellow or pearl onions
- Beef stock or beef broth
- Flour, salt and pepper
Here we go y’all, ready to make this with us??!!
Yes of course you could cook this on your stove top but to get really tender boeuf bourguignon in no time I suggest you use this magic multi cooker!
Beef Bourguignon Instant Pot
Time needed: 16 minutes.
Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon
Add olive oil and bacon to the Instant Pot and saute until the bacon cooks all the way. Remove bacon from the pot.
Add beef to the pot and brown on all sides. Pour in the wine, scrape the bottom of the pan to deglaze it and remove stuck on pieces of meat.
Simmer for 6 minutes, allowing the wine to reduce. Whisk in the flour and tomato paste until liquid is smooth. Add in cooked bacon and beef, onions, carrots, garlic, beef broth, mushrooms, seasonings and butter.
Close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 45 minutes. Then allow for a 10 minute natural release.
If you want sauce to thicken further, remove meat, set pot to saute again and allow to bubble and reduce so sauce thickens.
How do you thicken beef bourguignon sauce?
Adding flour before the initial cooking process will create a thicker sauce in the end. If you still at the end of the day wanted it even thicker whisk some hot liquid and cornstarch in a bowl until smooth.
- Set pot to saute with just liquid inside. Once bubbling add this slurry / roux in and stir so it gets even thicker.
How can you make sauce thicker without flour or cornstarch?
You could use arrowroot as well. This is a gluten free thickener alternative if you cannot use flour. They’ll also keep your sauce clear and cloud free which is nice. You’ll need about 1 tablespoon for every cup of liquid in the recipe.
What is Beef Bourguignon traditionally served with?
I have not made this yet in my slow cooker but it is on my list to do soon. When I do I will link those instructions here for you to follow.
This one has a thicker gravy coating the meat but is similar to coq au vin to me. I cut up steak that needed to be cooked for this one instead of stew meat which shows just how versatile it really is.
Here are a few more we love and make regularly:
- Instant Pot beef roast recipes are great for a fast and hearty meal.
- We’ve made this stew casserole over and over again. You can throw in uncooked white rice and it cooks all in one pot which is fabulous.
- This is how to cook a frozen roast in an Instant Pot too.
If you want to try something totally different and low carb, give our air fryer beef jerky a whirl too.
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon
- 3 lbs chuck roast or stew meat, cut into bite size chunks
- 4 slices bacon diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 c red wine dry
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 onion sliced
- 5 carrots peeled, cut into large chunks
- 3 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 c beef broth
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 pkg mushrooms 6 oz. shitake, sliced
- salt and pepper
- Add olive oil and bacon to the Instant Pot and saute until the bacon cooks all the way.
Remove bacon from the pot.
- Add beef to the pot and brown on all sides. Pour in the wine, scrape the bottom of the pan to deglaze it and remove stuck on pieces of meat. Simmer for 6 minutes, allowing the wine to reduce.
- Whisk in the flour and tomato paste until liquid is smooth. Add in cooked bacon and beef, onions, carrots, garlic, beef broth, mushrooms, seasonings and butter.
- Close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 45 minutes. Then allow for a 10 minute natural release.
- If you want sauce to thicken further, remove meat, set pot to saute again and allow to bubble and reduce so sauce thickens.