Homemade hot dog mustard recipe that is great on all sorts of other things too! Great as pretzel mustard left mild or make spicy if you like.
We have a slight obsession with this simple condiment. Well you may think it is plain but it can be altered to make an ordinary meal into something amazing. Seasonings and sauces are that way and whomever is the most creative usually wins the YUM. (affiliate links present)
Mustard Hot Dog
This really is the ultimate flavor. On top of bratwurst, sausages, wieners, and even corned beef mustard makes the flavors over the top. Yes you can buy French’s yellow mustard or Grey Poupon in a jar or bottle at the store right off the shelf. Homemade is always better.
This way you can tweak it all you want and make it perfect for your taste buds. Love a bold spicy sauce, you can do just that in a variety of ways. Red pepper flakes are the most common but Sriracha adds a whole different flavor profile and so does Tobasco.
Hot Dog Relish with Mustard
You can even combine your two favorite condiments into one. Mustard relish is a thing you know? Once this is done and cooled, just fold in some chunky diced up pickles and make your own variety. For the base you need a few simple ingredients like;
- Some water
- Ground mustard powder (from mustard seeds)
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 tsp turmeric
- A bit of flour to thicken it up
If you want to store it for a while in your fridge to use later on I would have a small mason jar on hand too. It’s great when you boil hot dogs, cook frozen hot dogs in air fryer or with batter on the outside like our Instant Pot corn dog bites.
Spicy Hot Dog Mustard
If stored properly it doesn’t really expire but ideally you’d want to use it within a few weeks. Only add toppings to the food you are sure to enjoy in that sitting. Leftover Instant Pot hot dogs for example store better when they are undressed sorta’ speak.
- Pour your dry ingredients into a small pot and then whisk with apple cider vinegar and water until smooth.
- Heat over a low heat while stirring consistently making sure there are no lumps.
- Once it is thick enough for your liking, remove from heat and use a spatula to scrape everything into a bowl to cool completely.
- Enjoy this sauce as you like. Using it on our hot dog burnt ends is killer too!
- If you want to store leftovers allow to cool completely first. Transfer to a container with a lid and put into the fridge.
It isn’t really perishable but if you wanted to do some batch cooking, this is how to can sauces properly using a high pressure machine. That way you could make a few jars and store for years really, or share with friends when you go over for the next barbecue.
There are many ways to cook the “main dish” of course. I have shared a variety of methods within this post. The quickest is just with hot air, we share how long to microwave hot dogs here for you as well. Let us know what you think when serving this, and if you add anything else that makes it excellent.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Hot Dog Mustard
- 1 pot
- Pour in dry ingredients and then whisk with apple cider vinegar and water until smooth. Heat over low heat stirring consistently making sure there are no lumps present.
- Once it is thick to your liking remove from heat and use a spatula to scrape all contents into a bowl to cool.
- Use as you like. If you want to store leftovers allow to cool completely first. Transfer to a container with a lid and put into the fridge.