This parmesan asparagus pasta recipe is a great warm or cold dish when it’s hot outside! Hearty with ground beef and vegetables mixed in with your favorite noodles.
This asparagus pasta recipe is a great side dish or main one pot meal. Using protein packed ground beef, cheese, vegetables and noodles it’s something even my kids love. Sponsored by Idaho Beef Council.
Asparagus Pasta Salad
- I always like to add meat and protein to every meal.
- Then instead of cooking all of my items separately, I can save a bit of time and still get a homemade meal we love.
My busy schedule definitely thanks me AND this is a great choice when you have company over too!
This is all you need:
Pasta and Ground Beef
- Lean ground beef is needed for this one
- Pasta of your choice, smaller sizes are best
- Fresh asparagus
- this is how to cook frozen asparagus if that is all you have beforehand
- Olive oil
- Parmesan cheese
- Seasonings of your choice
I don’t know about you but we make a lot of easy ground beef recipes here on The Typical Mom blog. Yes this state is known for it’s potatoes, but they produce some amazing Idaho beef on the farms around here too.
What can ground beef be used for?
- From there the possibilities are endless I tell you!
If you love quick and easy casseroles there are many options in that category. We love any and all of our Instant Pot ground beef recipes too because it’s a throw it all in and go type of meal for busy families.
And let’s talk about cost also shall we. If you’re on a budget, this type of beef is just the way to go. You get all the protein you’d want in easy bite size pieces which will make the kiddos happy too.
We love cheap recipes too y’all.
Pasta with Asparagus
We make a lot of recipes using ground beef around here but you may have a few questions before starting to make this one like:
Ideally you want short pasta shapes with plenty of nooks and crannies like small shells, fusilli, farfalle, rotini, or penne. This will trap more flavor for every bite.
Yes. If you don’t want it to remain warm you want to drain in a colander and then run cold water over it for a few minutes. This will stop the cooking process and bring the temp. down quickly.
Ideally I like making it in the morning, putting plastic wrap over the bowl and into the fridge it goes. This will make it nice and cold without risking soggy noodles if you make it a day before your event.
How do I cook asparagus?
There are several methods. In an oven at 425 degrees F you’ll want to coat with olive oil, salt and pepper and parmesan. Bake for about 12 minutes until tender. Here we boil once cut into large chunks. If you love asparagus you’re going to love this pasta asparagus dish with beef.
Here’s a quick step by step but there’s a printable recipe card at the bottom of the post too.
Time needed: 10 minutes.
Ground beef and pasta casserole
In a large skillet over medium high heat brown your meat, add some red pepper flakes if you want heat. Sprinkle in black pepper, pinch of salt and any other seasonings. Pour into a bowl to cool.
Add shallots and garlic into pan with a bit of the grease from the meat. Saute until softened. Turn heat off.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until it is al dente. After about 5 minutes add the asparagus pieces. Or cook asparagus in the air fryer.
Drain when noodles are mostly tender and veggies are too.
Drain in a colander and pour cold water on top. Completely drain and add to a bowl. Add meat and sprinkle with at least 1/2 cup parmesan on top, or toss within.
When it’s asparagus season and you can grab a bunch at next to nothing, you’ve gotta’ try this!
If you get a ton you can then bake some with just some olive oil and lemon zest on top in a few minutes.
For another layer of flavors, spoon some on a plate with a little squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Oh wowie!
How do you store unused ground beef?
If you find a great sale, I love to buy meat in bulk to save some money. The trick is to know how to store it and how long it will last right? Stored in airtight containers or storage bags refrigerated, at 40 °F it will stay good for 1 or 2 days.
Is it better to cook ground beef before freezing?
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Asparagus pasta salad
Asparagus Pasta Salad
- In a large greased skillet, brown hamburger with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- While beef is browning, cook pasta in boiling water for 10 minutes. Then add chopped asparagus to boiling water. Continue boiling until pasta and asparagus are tender.
- Drain well when done. When beef is thoroughly cooked, spoon it out of the skillet and drain off any excess grease. Add shallots and garlic to the same skillet and cook over medium heat until they become transparent.
- Add beef back into the skillet and mix well. Combine pasta, asparagus, and beef mixture in a large mixing bowl. Pour into a casserole baking dish. Top with parmesan cheese and enjoy!