This apple monkey bread is packed full of fresh apples and really delicious! The best sweet pull apart bread I’ve made with refrigerated cinnamon rolls ever.
If you’re looking for the best Christmas morning breakfast recipe or just something to make on the weekend for your family, this apple monkey bread is the bomb! I love making Pillsbury cinnamon roll monkey bread because there are SO many possibilities to change it up with fruit, caramel, or anything else you love. Here’s the creation we made here with apple cider mix and fresh apples picked right off the tree! (originally published 11/18, affiliate links present)
Like I said, making semi homemade monkey bread isn’t anything new in our house.
As you can see, we are big fans of the idea……
- Here’s where this apple monkey bread idea began. I saw the idea in this magazine while I was waiting in the dentist office. I snapped a picture of it with my phone. Changing up the timing a bit and a few other things you have what you see here. I had made this easy monkey bread recipe in the past but using fresh apples was a great idea.
So here it is before I popped it in the oven.
And this is our apple monkey bread once it was done before pulling it out so you can see the color on top.
- It is important to NOT overbake it, you want it to be ooey gooey, but have the dough pieces cooked through in the middle. It is a fine line. Very lightly browned usually is perfect, then let it cool before flipping it over to make it a bit easier.
- If you don’t care about it being pretty on a platter then by all means just flip it right away and use a fork to pull all the pieces right out to eat immediately.
- It’s best to serve warm, we love monkey bread this way.
It will not look sticky sweet when you pull it out, it will look like this.
All the goodness is on the bottom so don’t worry, you will get there.
Tips for making the best monkey bread recipe
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Do NOT overbake it, you want it to remain gooey when you flip it over
- As soon as the top is very lightly browned take it out and put it on a cooling rack
- Use a bundt pan that has a non stick surface AND spray the inside with non stick spray (replace your pan if it’s chipped or washed off)
- This is my favorite bundt pan that seems to never lose it’s non stick texture and has a pretty design embedded in it
- I use whichever non stick spray is on sale
- Allow it to cool before flipping over
- Makes it more likely to stay in one “pretty” piece
- Use a cake platter or plate that is big enough, this is the one I have
This is what your apple monkey bread should look like once you flip it over and drizzle vanilla icing on the top!
What you need to make this fresh apple monkey bread recipe
- 3 containers refrigerated cinnamon rolls
- can use biscuit dough but it won’t be as sweet
- 3 large apples
- I like Fuji
- a splash of lemon juice works if you dice them a while beforehand to prevent browning
- 1 box apple cider mix – dry mix, this is what I buy
- dumping this sugar mixture into a large baggies and shaking with cinnamon roll pieces is how I do it
- you could dip each one in a small bowl with mix too
- Melted butter
- 1/2 cup nuts – optional to add these, I used honey roasted pecans
- Vanilla frosting – use what the ones that come with your cinnamon rolls, but really you need more!
- could sprinkle with powdered sugar
- sugar and cinnamon mixture is a nice topping too
Here’s a video and the printable recipe for the best monkey bread ever.
We’ve made these other easy monkey bread recipes in the past:
- Apple pie monkey bread muffins
- Cherry cheesecake monkey bread
- Savory monkey bread
- Crockpot cinnamon roll monkey bread
- Caramel pumpkin monkey bread has a homemade “goo” with canned pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon and all the goodness poured on top. If you love all things Fall flavored this will be your fave!
SO how to do you spice up canned cinnamon rolls?
- Like this!!
- It’s the perfect holiday treat or brunch item to add to your buffet table.
- The apples bring a natural sweetness and texture to your homemade monkey bread.
- It is inexpensive to make, but impressive to serve out of a pretty bundt pan.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉
Apple Monkey Bread
- 3 containers refrigerated cinnamon rolls not Grands
- 3 large apples cored, peeled, diced
- 5 pouches apple cider mix
- 1/2-1 c pecans honey roasted, crushed
- 6 tbsp butter melted
- 1 c icing divided, use packets of icing from cinnamon roll container
- Cut each cinnamon roll in fourths and put into a bowl. Core, peel, and dice apples, put into a separate bowl. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Empty all 5 dry apple cider mix packets into bowl with cut rolls and gently toss so all pcs. are coated well.
- Spray non stick spray into a large bundt pan.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of coated cinnamon roll pieces into bundt pan, followed by 1/2 of your diced apples and 1/2 c. of nuts if you'd like to add those.
- Sprinkle another third of cut rolls on top of that, followed by remaining apples and nuts.
- Then sprinkle the remaining third of cinnamon rolls on the very top.
- Melt your butter, then add 1/4 c. or 1 packet from tube of icing in with butter and whisk together. Pour this mixture on top into the bundt pan. Cover bundt pan with foil.
- Bake in oven for 35 minutes, then remove foil and cook another 5-10 minutes or until top pieces are a very light brown.
- Take out and let it cool on a cooling rack. Gently loosen sides with a knife to help monkey bread slide out of the pan easier.
- Put a cake plate on top and flip over. May need to further loosen sides or keep pan upside down for a few minutes on top of the plate until it releases.
- Drizzle with remaining melted vanilla frosting and serve.