Salt and pepper chicken wings air fried or baked in your oven are great! A cheap appetizer or dinner with crispy chicken skin. If you loved our dry rub air fryer chicken wings these are even easier with a punch of flavor.
This is all about simplicity really. Yes I do love a lot of flavor but you can choose to add that with difference sauces at the end instead. If you are having friends over or want to whip up a quick after school snack, wings salt and pepper air fryer style are great. (affiliate links present)
Air Fryer Salt and Pepper Chicken Wings
You could easily change this up with whatever you wanted really. Just use the temperature and timing below and you could add paprika or Old Bay seasoning too. The real deal is that you no longer have to turn on your oven and heat up your entire house to cook these to crispy! We do have info on how long to cook wings in oven too though. 😉
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
And be automatically signed up for our free newsletter too!
We are using fresh or defrosted here. If you wanted to make our air fryer frozen chicken wings this would be possible too. I would suggest that you cook for a few minutes first, then add the seasons so they stick. I will go over how this would be done in the oven too in just a bit if you really want to go that route.
You can use any brand you might have at home. I have several, I know it’s kinda’ crazy. A Foodi, AirWave, Cosori or making these as Instant Pot air fryer chicken wings works just great.
You need to make sure the skin is dry! That is what is going to ensure that it gets as crispy as you want. Left with any moisture on the outside will not allow for that. Olive oil and seasonings will stick well after drying with a few paper towels first.
Salt and Pepper Wings Air Fryer
Keep that tip in mind for any type you may want to make from this day forward. Of course this isn’t the case if they started off rock hard like our baked frozen chicken wings in oven, but we share different tips for those. Another important step is to make sure they aren’t overlapping, especially for this method.
You see, a hot air machine circulates all the way around your meat and cannot get this done if one is on top of the other. You can see here how it should look in your basket. Whether yours is square, a circle or rectangle shape just move around so they have a bit of space in between.
Number three thing to remember is to spray the inside of your basket, or else they may stick. Even though there is a coating typically I always say to use an olive oil non stick spray. I know it suggests that you don’t in the instructions but seriously, it’s a must do.
Naked Chicken Wings
You may call them this. Maybe you are like huh??? Naked means it is a chicken recipe with no breading on the outside. That means lower calories, you can really taste the meat and seasonings and of course it ensures they are gluten free chicken wings too.
- We used 12 wings on this go around
- Just salt and black pepper was used
- Non stick olive oil spray
If you have kids they love love love having a few dips served with it to make the meal fun. You can buy a few bottled varieties or we have a few suggestions on homemade in that post too. Go for a creamy and spicy together!
Chinese Salt and Pepper Wings Air Fryer
You can follow these steps but deep fry the chicken in hot oil instead if you wanted to a golden brown. I am anti submerging in oil to cook any type of food for health and flavor reasons. I’d rather follow our baked chicken wings in oven directions before I’d fry but up to you.
- Lay your fresh or thawed chicken wings on paper towels and gently press down to remove the moisture from the outside of the skins.
- Melt butter. Put wings into a large bowl and pour on top, toss to coat. Preheat air fryer to 390 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Spray basket with non stick spray. Lay wings in basket in a single layer without overlapping and sprinkle seasonings on all of them.
- Close basket and cook for a total of approximately 22 minutes. The total timing will vary depending on how large they are, could be up to 30 minutes if very large.
- Flip fried chicken wings over after 10 minutes, spray top with olive oil and salt and pepper the other side too. Continue air frying until both sides are as crisp as you’d like.
Serve with sauces and diced green onions on top for a bit of color. If you want them to be VERY crispy, you can dust the outside with some cornstarch / potato starch to really dry. Then add white pepper, sea salt, etc… and air fry. And you need a few of our chicken wing dipping sauce ideas here when you serve them.
Some of these selections are cold and can be whisked together in a minute. Others you just add ingredients over medium heat to meld together. Allow to cool and then dunk them right in!
When it comes to side dishes you can use the same pot after these are done, or before. A healthy choice is air fryer spaghetti squash served as is with butter or tossed with marinara for a low carb spaghetti type of dish.
What can you do with leftover wings
The easiest thing is to just reheat chicken wings in air fryer the next day. It will fix that ewwww weirdness on the outside as they sit in the fridge. Get the skin crisped again and enjoy for lunch the next day! You can pull the meat off the bone and add into all sorts of recipes like a stir fry, casserole or our one pot chicken and rice recipe.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Salt and Pepper Chicken Wings
- Lay thawed chicken wings on paper towels and gently press down to remove the moisture from the outside of the skins.
- Melt butter. Put wings into a bowl and pour on top, toss to coat. Preheat air fryer to 390 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Spray basket with non stick spray. Lay wings in basket without overlapping and sprinkle salt and pepper on all of them. Close basket and cook for total of 22 minutes (timing will vary depending on how large they are).
- Flip each piece over after 10 minutes, spray top with olive oil and salt and pepper the other side too. Continue air frying until both sides are as crisp as you'd like.
- ** If you want to brush on some sauce like teriyaki or bbq do so before the last 3 minutes so it can bake on to the skin.