This dairy free easy bread recipe no yeast necessary is great! Turns out so good with just 4 ingredients + water! Add garlic salt, basil and oregano to give it an Italian flavor with pasta.
We were desperate for some bread to serve with our pasta the other night but had no yeast. Stores were out, so I tinkered in the kitchen to make an easy bread recipe no yeast version we might like. It turned out yummy so I thought I’d share it here. (affiliate links present)
- The night before we made this loaf of easy Irish soda bread.
- This is somewhat similar except there really is no kneading at all which I liked.
- We’ve also made homemade white bread but that takes a lot longer.
Also, this no yeast bread is in fact dairy free which helps many people who cannot have milk products.
All you need to make this homemade bread is one large bowl where you’re going to mix your dry ingredients and then add the one wet wet ingredient which is water. We all have that!
I will start by saying this is a dense bread. Since there is no leavening agent included it isn’t fluffy and airy like french bread. BUT if you are like us and want a slice of yum to put butter on and serve with your favorite spaghetti recipe, this easy bread recipe is great.
What kind of bread has no yeast?
- Whole Grain Breads using sprouted grains are round loaves that are typically sweet and moist.
- Unleavened Breads like this one is baked without rising agents
- these are traditionally made from flour, water, salt or oil.
- Flatbreads are a staple in many cultures and are quite flat like pita bread.
- Brown rice bread is quite dense with more fiber than other types.
When making other versions, like our slow cooker bread recipe, you will need quite a bit more time. This is due to rising time, rising again, and kneading it quite a bit.
BUT when you make versions such as this one and our no yeast rolls, you eliminate those steps (which we typically hate to do).
- You will be giving up the fluffiness, but in a pinch give this 4 ingredient bread a whirl.
- Our homemade flour tortilla recipe with just 3 ingredients rock as well.
This is what you’ll need to make this easy bread recipe for kids no yeast
- All purpose flour
- I haven’t tested this with gluten free flour or wheat flour as of yet
- Baking powder
- Room temperature water
- Melted butter or olive oil
- Sharp knife
- NO loaf pan is needed, just a baking sheet
Add ins we used:
- Garlic salt
- Dried parsley
- Garlic powder
I will say you need to add flavors to this or it will be quite bland. The ones we used below worked well to give it a nice taste that went well with our dinner.
Once you have a preheated oven at 375 degrees you can put in your loaf and bake until golden brown.
Here are the steps you should follow:
- Mix together your flour, salt and baking powder
- Add your water and melted butter (what we used)
- Stir until flour is incorporated, doesn’t take long but will still look a bit dry (see above)
- Move to a lightly floured surface
- Add any seasonings you want and knead together a few times just so they’re incorporated into the bread dough
- Make loaf into a circle about 1.5″ thick all the way across so it bakes evenly
- Put on to baking sheet (can put parchment paper underneath if it isn’t non stick)
- Put a large X on top
- Bake for about 37 minutes or until lightly browned on top and knife into center comes out clean
Now take off of your cookie sheet and put on to a cooling rack so it can continue to bake the middle. Use a sharp serrated knife to slice once it is cooled, or mostly cooled. Best when served with butter on top!
Easy Bread Recipe No Yeast
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl mix together flour, salt and baking powder.
- Stir in water and melted butter. Put this dough on to a lightly floured cutting board.
- If you want to add seasonings put in middle and knead together just so it is incorporated into the dough. Make thickness of dough 1.5" thick all the way across so it cooks evenly.
- Put on baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper underneath.
- Cut an X on the top and bake for 37 minutes or until lightly browned on the top.
- Allow to cool on cooling rack for at least 10 minutes before slicing.